Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

Unable to edit listings- "Shipping profile shipping service is set to Other"

I'm unable to save changes to any of my listings. I keep getting the error message "Shipping profile shipping service is set to Other". I've had my shipping profiles set up the same way for years and haven't made any changes recently.

I need to use the "other" option to set my own timelines for international packages- Etsy's dates for First Class International tend to drastically underestimate transit time. It seems like the only way to edit any of my listings is to change my shipping profiles. Is anyone else having this problem? Any idea if it's a bug or intended behavior?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
12 Likes
98 Replies

Re: Unable to edit listings- "Shipping profile shipping service is set to Other"

I just tried one of mine that has some "Other" options, and it saved without difficulty. But I am 1) in Canada, and 2) still have the old listing page. 

2 Likes
Chrysalism
Conversation Maker

Re: Unable to edit listings- "Shipping profile shipping service is set to Other"

I'm still on the old listing format as well but am US-based. I saw one other Canadian seller mention they aren't affected by this, but UK sellers seem to be affected, so it may only be for sellers in certain countries?

4 Likes

@Chrysalism It's either an error or a slow roll out, as some people have it on desktop but not the app etc. 

1 Like
nineteen27
Community Maker

yes it started yesteday.

etsy no longer wants us to have *other*

and are forcing us to pick a carrier.

i am still able to edit on my etsy app without changing the *other*

but not on my pc.

etsy says this:

We're asking for an update from your previous choice of "Other" to help give buyers more accurate delivery dates. This won't change your ship-by-dates, and could mean more sales for you!

6 Likes

@nineteen27 "etsy no longer wants us to have *other*

and are forcing us to pick a carrier."

I can't see them doing that to everyone on purpose, given that some people use private carriers Etsy does not have any options for. Examples include people who sell large pieces of furniture, and of course, people outside of Etsy's major countries.  

Heck, they don't even have FedEx as an option here in Canada, and don't offer the one type of UPS service I use for Americans. (That UPS service arrives cross border in 4-6 business days and is about 1/3 of the price of the cheapest Canada Post option at that speed. I thought they wanted cheap & fast? LOL)

6 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

@cindylouwho2 

they do not have letters or flats in the options for me and that is how i ship stickers and cards and some prints.

so they are forcing me to choose a way that i do not ship.

which makes no sense to me.

because now i am being dishonest about it.

so i am just going to change my shipping profiles to media mail or parcel post because i never ship that way either.

but at least the delivery times are 2-8 days instead of 1-5 days.

5 Likes

yes another helpful change...for...???

0 Likes

I tried app and phone and cannot use other either way. Im sure its intentional. Too many of us using it to protect ourselves from automatic refunds

3 Likes

my express shipping upgrade is 2-3 days. Etsy only offer options with 3-7 or 4-8 working days. They suggested I shorten my turnaround time to compensate for having to show a delivery upgrade that takes longer than it actually does. what am I supposed to do with my products that have a 1 day turnaround? And if I do that then all my orders will be shipped "late" which will impact on my star seller status.

And what about orders where the buyer doesn't select the upgrade? I'm stuck with a 2 day turnaround (which is not possible for a personalised wedding invitation).

Such an unbelievable error on Etsy's part - I can't believe they've done something so ill thought through. it's unbelievable.

And I asked them how I should update the shipping information in my (100+) listings. They said I'd have to do it manually, copy & pasting into EACH ONE!

0 Likes

I’m in the UK and I’m having this issue too. I need to you ‘other’ as a) I use a delivery provider and service which is not stated in the drop down box and b) I want to set my own delivery timescales which are more realistic. I am desperately hoping that removing the ‘other’ option is a glitch 

6 Likes
TwiLdCapitHog
Conversation Maker

I have been unable to list / re-list since yesterday because of this. Etsys estimated dates for Royal Mail domestic delivery, 1st class 1 day, 2nd 2-3 days, is totally off. My last 1st class parcel took 5 days to be delivered.

Being forced to pick one of Etsys "Guaranteed" delivery dates that we KNOW will not be met is just stupid! 

8 Likes

Yap.... It's total cringe!

I try to reduce my Etsy engagement since the bs is piling until under the roof currently!

4 Likes

I posted this thread yesterday - https://community.etsy.com/t5/Technical-Issues/UK-Domestic-Delivery-Options-Missing-options/m-p/1421... 

Plenty of others are experiencing the same issue. I did go on Etsy's help chat yesterday. The end result was my issue would be passed on. I have been given no further information as to whether it is a bug, but given the wording Etsy has written on my delivery profiles about it, I'm guessing not.

"We're asking for an update from your previous choice of "Other" to help give buyers more accurate delivery dates. This won't change your dispatch-by-dates, and could mean more sales for you!"

3 Likes

@purplewyvernjewels  ".....and could mean more sales for you!"  Yes, once the dishonest buyers and scammers realise they can buy something that will not arrive by the estimated date, leading to an immediate refund from Etsy, they will be falling over themselves to order....

16 Likes

Yeah.... Thinking of Christmas and putting my head in the sand!!!!!

3 Likes

That's one of the main things i don't get with this change..Surely this will cost them more money as lack of custom delivery date expectations will mean more parcels overdue and more automatic refunds. esp around Christmas.     

It won't be more sales, it'll be more refunds

0 Likes
artbyjocelyn
Conversation Maker

I was able to continue with Other as a selection in my profiles, where I ship from Canada, to US, UK, Japan, and AU, but had to choose a class for Canada.

0 Likes

I have the same situation in this particular shop.  It's either a test or a roll out.

I had hoped to add some listings this weekend, but will instead, wait and see.

0 Likes

You have to put in your postal code etc ... It's total nonsence

0 Likes

They want to look good- sellers are just unimportant to them..... See all that pressure they do.... From star seller to whatnot

1 Like

Just thought I'd update this thread. I have spoken to Etsy and they've just said that going forward the 'other' option will not be available anymore and we HAVE to select one of the options on their list.

I asked them what happens if we don't actually send our orders using any of their options (ie we use Parcelforce, DPD etc) and they said 'Ermmmmmm, I'll send you a feedback form for you to fill in."

So there you go, I have no words at how rubbish this is :0(

13 Likes

@millyandpip I can't figure out if they just aren't telling Support that this will kill lots of shops, or if the powers that be truly don't realize that so many of use some services Etsy doesn't make available in shipping profiles. 

I can see Etsy trying to reduce use of "Other" because they hate the long delivery windows some of us deem necessary, but it is hard for me to believe they would try to do this without coding a lot more options first.

4 Likes
MyOrganisedHome
Conversation Maker

@cindylouwho2 I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Etsy starts to offer Etsy Labels with a choice of shipping providers.

Etsy owns Depop and in the UK Depop shipping is via Evri. They may have looked at this and decided they want to roll it out on Etsy too.

In the UK we now only have a choice of four providers on our shipping profiles - Royal Mail,  Evri (Hermes), Collect+ and DHL. These seem an odd choice if entirely random, particularly as the lack of ParcelForce is a glaring omission.

Collect+ no longer provide a mail service themselves, they are now a collection and drop off point for various couriers, including Parcel2Go.

Parcel2Go is a courier booking and comparison site, not a courier in its own right.

When you try to book to send a parcel on the Collect+ website it states in small print that the sending service is in partnership with Parcel2Go.

I wonder if the inclusion of Collect+ in the list of carriers is an error or oversight and it’s actually Parcel2Go that Etsy has in mind. Etsy already offers sellers integration to Parcel2Go and accounts can be linked.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Etsy is looking to offer customers the option of picking up their parcels from a local shop via the Collect+ network?

You would hope that Etsy would have considered the implications of limiting the range of mailing services available to sellers, but if they were thinking of rolling out an enhanced version of Etsy Labels via full integration with Parcel2Go this may be the first of a number of wobbly steps up that path.

0 Likes

@cindylouwho2 I think the powers that be just don't understand. 

Someone I know asked Etsy the question "What we do if we use a service not shown?" and the answer they received was "We don't know yet, it's too early in the update to understand what this means for sellers". !!!!!!

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.