Etsy's bank fails... what next?

Jump to solution

The collapse of Silicon Valley Bank today is awful news.  I wonder what this means for Etsy sellers and funds.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/after-silicon-valley-bank-fails-tech-startups-race-to-meet-payroll-4ebd...

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
12 Likes
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Etsy's bank fails... what next?

Jump to solution
16 Likes
NixAeterna
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

A little light at the end of the tunnel this morning... https://community.etsy.com/t5/All-Things-Finance/Uk-seller-deposit-sent-on-sunday/m-p/141530511#M309...

And some further insight into what happened at SVB... https://www.ft.com/content/b556badb-8e98-42fa-b88e-6e7e0ca758b8

Archived version of the FT story at https://archive.is/LZZqs

View solution in original post

8 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
4 Likes
470 Replies

Jump to solution

We wait. One of the other posts mentioned that Etsy is working to get a new bank.

8 Likes
EnergyPeace
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

of course but what about their financial situation if they lost money in that bank?

9 Likes

Jump to solution

Etsy owes sellers some kind of explanation. Even if it simply regards their current efforts. 

This is scary. 

34 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

This article details Etsy's finances and ends on a positive note.

https://www.eseller365.com/etsy-delays-seller-payouts-silicon-valley-bank/?fbclid=IwAR22ODntY0J6koTx...

Etsy Exposure to Silicon Valley Bank

Late in the afternoon, Etsy sellers on online forums began complaining that their scheduled payout for Friday, March 10 had been automatically delayed until Monday. Some people began to speculate that Etsy may be using SVB and that this massive delay was connected to the bank’s failure.

Now, Etsy issued an email to sellers confirming the reason their scheduled deposit was delayed due to “recent developments regarding Silicon Valley Bank, who Etsy uses to facilitate disbursement to some sellers.”

Etsy further said, “We are working with our other payment partners to issue your deposit as soon as possible.”

The company didn’t provide any further details on how large its exposure is to SVB. However, unlike VC backed startups and smaller tech firms that may have most of their funds in one bank, Etsy should have the financial resources to make sellers whole relatively quickly.

While affected sellers their payout information says March 13 now, the email from Etsy doesn’t offer that specific date. Sellers should expect that payouts could be delayed a little further, depending on how quickly Etsy can arrange for an alternative distribution solution.

For those worried about Etsy’s financial situation, let’s take a brief look at their last financial filings(Form 10-K).

At the end of 2022, the company had $1.2 billion in cash, cash equivalents, and short- and long-term investments. Of that, $921 million was in cash and cash equivalents.

In addition, Etsy has a revolving credit facility (credit line) of $200 million, which was still available in full at the end of the year. In other words, they weren’t using any of it.

Obviously, without knowing the exact exposure the company has to SVB, we believe Etsy should have enough financial resources to pay sellers. It finished the year off better than many of its peers.

Another good sign for sellers is that the company’s stock price has remained stable in after hours trading, further indicating that the “smart money” on Wall Street is not concerned as well.

13 Likes

Jump to solution

I doubt Etsy has only one bank.  Not everyone is affected by this.

And the FDIC said those insured get their money on Monday.  I'm sure Etsy is insured. 

4 Likes

Jump to solution

FDIC insurance is geared towards individuals, so it's limit is only $250,000.  Companies often have millions.  They could lose a large portion of their deposits, depending on the total assets of the bank.

22 Likes

Jump to solution

I don’t know. I feel like they are telling us. They are working with another bank just so that we will calm down. I don’t understand if we can’t sell and get paid while they keep charging us to renew. Etsy keeps making money and we’re making nothing. 

7 Likes
junkbay
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution

My guess current funds may get held up for a while, but they are undoubtedly working on another payment processor. So worst-case scenario in my view is today's funds maybe a couple of days may not get for a while. Not sure what happens with the new payment processer, may take a while to integrate

5 Likes

Jump to solution

In the meantime, my shops are on vacation. Our money in that bank is not going to get to us anytime soon, if at all. 

11 Likes

Jump to solution

I put my shop on vacation as well

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@SunshineAnnies4U 

I was wondering about this--if I should go on vacation or change the deposit to monthly--and hope it is sorted by  the first of the month.

0 Likes
NixAeterna
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I have put my shop into indefinite vacation mode. TBF there were other factors behind this decision, but the situation with SVB was the final straw.

I would advise all sellers to do the same, at least until the situation is clarified.  There's no point in carrying on if you're not going to get paid.

11 Likes
FourCoquettes
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Our shop too. We have 2 orders we haven't gotten paid for yet. Hope it's resolved by Monday.

1 Like
VintageHomeLife
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I think we have to remember Etsy is a huge company and if we all start putting our shops on vacation, that in the long run hurt you as a seller. This is going to hurt Etsy in so many other ways because people will now be reluctant to purchase there. If you can put your shop on daily deposits and don't ship until you are paid. I made 2 sales this morning and will not ship them until this is resolved. We have to keep faith. 

4 Likes

Jump to solution

It better mean we still get paid! 

14 Likes

Jump to solution

I wonder why Etsy would have used only 1 bank for all their finances. Gives a new meaning to the phrase not putting all your eggs in one basket. Even my husband and I have 2 accounts in case if anything was to happen. Sure didn't expect this!!!! Wowser!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@RosebudsOriginals 

we don't even know if etsy had any money in the bank,

they just said payments could be affected, so it could just be one of the payment processors was affected, rather than etsy itself,

and some people were actually getting payments yesterday, (Sunday) before the bail out

and a lot of payments come from  banking in Ireland, as it's a lot more tax efficient

and delaing with multi currencies, I would expect them to have a hedge fund or more in the Netherlands.

I have no idea why you think etsy has money in the bank, and if they did, all their money was there

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@RosebudsOriginals 

Etsy uses multiple banks, has a $900 million cash reserve, and a $200 million line of credit that was unused as of last report. They hardly have all their eggs in one basket.

Since that bank specializes in IPOs, Etsy probably used that bank when they went public years ago, and maintained a presence there.  It is always good to maintain ties to your financial history.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

So, if we try now to cancel a sale  and refund the customer...they don't get their money back until this is resolved? 

9 Likes

Jump to solution

That is correct. I've already tried doing that with one customer.

5 Likes
GieseDeseiGns
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

The customer would get paid by you with your cc on file.

7 Likes

Jump to solution

Won't Etsy take the refunds out of our credit card accounts?

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Who cares, Etsy needs to pay us

5 Likes
EnergyPeace
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

if they lost all their money , how could they?

4 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.