The collapse of Silicon Valley Bank today is awful news.  I wonder what this means for Etsy sellers and funds.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/after-silicon-valley-bank-fails-tech-startups-race-to-meet-payroll-4ebd9c5c

Re: Etsy's bank fails... what next?

Jump to solution

FDIC bank accounts are only insured up to $200,000. The only hope would be that etsy has deposited money in various other banks or that the federal government makes a special exception to guarantee all the deposits in excess of $200,000 limit. Many start ups including etsy were only allowed to bank with Silicon Valley Bank which was for the purpose of lending start ups money with the condition they could only get the start up money IF they only banked with Silicon Valley Bank and not other banks. SO the only. way. Etsy would get more than $200,000 which is the maximum insurance amount per account, if if the government stepped in and made a special exception. This is not guaranteed because the public may view it as a bail out.As Etsy knew the bank account was ONLY insured foor up to 200K and that they were prohibited for having money in other banking accounts, as this was the legally binding stipulations for etsy getting the start up money.  SO in a nut shell- Etsy could go under because of this, or a bail out from the government can happen.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution

@FormedandForged 

Your information is ALL wrong.

9 Likes

Jump to solution

@dayspringcollectible 

its not correct when you state things are operating as they should.  Sellers should have been paid on Friday.  That’s not operating as it should.

The sky certainly isn’t falling but you continue to fail to acknowledge this is actually an issue and will harshly impact some.  Constantly dismissing those considerations is only looking at part of the issue. 

5 Likes

Jump to solution

@EarSugarHandmade 

operating as they should is that sellers should be paid within 5 working days from Friday, if they were set to have a deposit on Friday

1 Like

Jump to solution

Yes Cornish you’ve said that already and I replied to you about that already.  

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@daysprinngcolletible

i appreciate having a discussion but calling others narcissistic and cussing when they don’t agree with you isn’t a discussion.  I’m just going to leave you to your opinions. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

FDIC bank accounts are only insured up to $200,000.00 The only hope would be that etsy has deposited money in various other banks or that the federal government makes a special exception to guarantee all the deposits in excess of $200,000 limit. many start ups including etsy were only allowed to bank with Silicon Valley bank which was for the purpose of lending start ups money with the condition they could only get the start up money if they only banked with them and not other banks

0 Likes
barkrock
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution

The insured limit is 250k.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

@FormedandForged 

Your information is wrong.  SVB specializes in funding to IPOs, so they have many as clients.  Etsy is no longer an IPO, hasn't been for a long time, and has funds in numerous banks.

FCIC insures to 250K.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

*I meant $250,000 limit per account. The SVB does has limitations on allowing clients such as ETSY too bank elsewhere.  Whatever money that was lost in the excess of 250k is currently not insurable. This is why the FDIC would have to make an exception for all these companies. This is correct my husband works in this.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Amounts over the $250K are not insurable by the FDIC.  However, that is not the only way companies get paid back.  There are often assets within the bank that allows for partial repayment to depositors that have more than the $250K limit.  Also, banks that go under are often bought by other banks, and depositors can be partially or fully refunded on their losses as part of the deal.  It will be a while before we know how much if anything Etsy has lost.

2 Likes
TheWorkingCanine
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I just found out this evening that Etsy is unable to pay its sellers due to this bank collapse.   This has me seriously concerned.

0 Likes
TheWorkingCanine
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I don't want to continue to sell items, if Etsy is unable to pay me.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

You're not reading the facts, only listening to rumors.  Only "some" of Etsy's sellers were being paid through Silicon Valley Bank, and those sellers are simply being switched over to a different bank for payment.  It will take a few days to get everyone switched over.  That is the extent of the "problem."

5 Likes
SewlyButtons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

An interesting article on the SVB situation in Huffington Post...
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/silicon-valley-bank-collapse_n_640cfebee4b0d15457b63f29

2 Likes
ReImagineBrewing
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Many get stressed when Etsy holds funds for a "Holiday". Etsy is collecting extra interest on the funds and that is pretty much why they do this. Automatic withdrawals occur automatically with disregard to "holidays". Etsy doesn't have all of their money in one location. One thing they are very smart about. This is just another less on about "don't keep all of your eggs in one basket". If your payment is delayed a few days here what happens when suddenly your shop drops 80% in sales overnight? An item that has sold a thousand plus times comes to a screeching halt. 

Do not only depend on Etsy. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Etsy is totally unreliable as a sales channel. 

6 Likes
StreetwoodDesign
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

to conclude etsy hit a snag because a bank failed and is due and purposeful to etsy making money, is simply ignorant.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

@FilmwerksCo 

Most large corporations don't usually share information unless they have no choice.  The last people to know are ones directly involved with the company.

I know a huge department store that went out of business, store managers and cashiers had no idea till 3 days before they shut the doors for good.  They simply do nto care about people, it's all about money!

0 Likes
NixAeterna
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

A little light at the end of the tunnel this morning... https://community.etsy.com/t5/All-Things-Finance/Uk-seller-deposit-sent-on-sunday/m-p/141530511#M309...

And some further insight into what happened at SVB... https://www.ft.com/content/b556badb-8e98-42fa-b88e-6e7e0ca758b8

Archived version of the FT story at https://archive.is/LZZqs

8 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

I'm glad to hear some UK sellers have been paid.  

1 Like

Jump to solution

Thank you for sharing this. 

0 Likes
FilmwerksCo
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Strange. I never received notice about anything from etsy, just 3rd party info now its on message boards.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@FilmwerksCo 

only the people impacted were contacted, those that had a payout due on Friday

0 Likes
iowaweaver
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Put my shop on vacation!

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.