The collapse of Silicon Valley Bank today is awful news.  I wonder what this means for Etsy sellers and funds.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/after-silicon-valley-bank-fails-tech-startups-race-to-meet-payroll-4ebd9c5c

Re: Etsy's bank fails... what next?

Jump to solution

Gee real nice we have to read about this in the news instead of hearing about it directly from Etsy.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
6 Likes
bettysworld4u
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@Shelleyville  I received an email about this yesterday from Etsy. I wonder if having notifications set on from Etsy makes a difference. ?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I think we need to wait until Monday to see how things really are. I'm a little concerned that Etsy has made no public statement regarding what percentage of company funds they hold in this bank as other companies have.  I'm not panicking, but I don't think it's any small amount or they would have said so by now. 

11 Likes

Jump to solution

@onedaysgracenz  You didn't read all the way to the bottom where they state holdings for the back and who is at risk. That WAS a report about the state of the bank to that point in time. 

I also don't think people here are trying to panic anything - but did notice you ALSO put your store on vacy. 

2 Likes
onedaysgracenz
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Yes I did. A report based on Etsy forums and copy/paste from other sources is not adding anything to anything here. No reputable reporting starts with copied stuff from a forum, especially not from a forum where nobody posting knows anything and so it is all speculative.

That "report" is speculating about speculation.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I don't make much on Etsy, and I wasn't panicking.  But I just put my shop in vacation mode because I just realized Etsy had NOT been making the daily deposits from my sales as I expected.  Wondering if I'm going to see that little chunk at all.  I opened a case with Etsy to ask why the daily deposits had not been done...everything looks fine to me.

1 Like
NixAeterna
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I don't believe that putting a shop into vacation mode is "panicking", but more of a sensible precaution in the absence of proper clarification from Etsy. I feel that suggestions to the contrary smack of victim blaming.

As I said in another thread: my own decision to put my shop into vac mode was influenced by other factors - not least a wonderfully satisfying, new (as of last Summer) full time job, which takes up most of my time these days. I hope to find more time for jewellery making in the future, but will need to update my workshop first.  It was only ever a hobby in the first place and I have other pastimes, too.

6 Likes

Jump to solution
16 Likes

Jump to solution

Ooof, Monday's going to be ugly.   Well, maybe Tuesday for those who don't frequent the forums.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

@moonbeamgifts 

It's the "..within the next few business days.." bit that is concerning and classically etsy vague. How many are a few? 3, 5 8? Honestly, I'll be very surprised if my usual Monday deposit happens on Monday.

11 Likes

Jump to solution

@@moonbeamgifts I have a feeling we’ll be seeing a lot of new “faces” here come next week. Sellers affected by this that didn’t get the email will be looking for answers (and their money). 

4 Likes

Jump to solution

@DivineCrossings  Exactly, this is going to dwarf a "holiday shipping date counts towards SSP????".

3 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting the link @WitticismsRus I'm guessing with all this going down on a Friday, it will make some doing to make all the switches.  

2 Likes
HandyNat
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution

” few business days “  Seems like we are not getting our $ Monday 🤦‍ 

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Was there an original post at all? I could not find one... and I never received emails from them about the issue in two of my shops... thanks for posting update link.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

"How many are a few? 3, 5 8?" - they told one media outlet "the next several days", which is usually more than a few. 

10 Likes

Jump to solution

This was an oopsie…see above 

1 Like

Jump to solution

With the Vaca mode on sellers are not able to get those potential sales (especially for a weekend) so no $ for sellers...or E. Figure in the bad publicity and E making extended interest on their existing money because of not paying what is owed sellers and that raises the question...what do the stockholders think of all this? And what will the stock market show on opening bell Monday? What a mess in more ways than one.

0 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@SewNSewSister  Sellers can choose vacation mode or not.  We are staying open.  

The quicker Etsy pays sellers, the quicker the publicity dies down.  I'm sure the stockholders  want to see sellers paid quickly.  It is their best interest.  

4 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@greenmelonstudios  that’s for each account.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Correct, and the bulk of the businesses have way more than that there. 

0 Likes
AllsFairyVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I can’t pretend to know how this is going to shake out but I am going to stay the course for now. I am lucky enough to be in a position to ride it out, at least until we have better information. I hope other sellers who are in a position to do so without risking immediate family needs will also stay the course. If Etsy experiences a steep drop in revenue along with a stock hit and bank collapse, it will make it that much harder for them to catch up. I have no sympathy for corporate Etsy but I do have sympathy for the small businesses who need their money now. A lot of people are living paycheck to paycheck and not necessarily due to poor planning. If we take our earnings out of Etsy, I worry that will make it harder for everyone to get what’s owed to them.

That said, however, the ‘mompreneurs’ article was irresponsible journalism at best. They quoted one woman as saying she might not be able to make her mortgage payment. I get that worry and believe it’s legit, but reporting on her fear as if it were proof that disaster is imminent for small sellers is just fanning the flames and leading people to panic, which is how a run happens in the first place. I’m not saying disaster isn’t imminent, but panicking makes it worse. I wish journalists would report on the facts and speak to financial advisors who might have something helpful to say.

I hope that woman is able to pay her mortgage, I hope I get my money, I hope Etsy survives because for all its massive flaws, I like selling here. So I’m going to keep my shop open and wait to see what happens. I understand it’s just not financially viable for some shops to stay open at the moment, but I hope all who can will do so, and I hope the ship rights itself quickly.

28 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

They never quote anyone who said  "I'm not worried" or "I have a healthy savings and can wait this out." 

7 Likes

Jump to solution

I have a healthy savings and I’m not worried. Going to stay open, make and ship like any other week starting tomorrow. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Well hello, folks! I had no idea this was even an issue until I was scrolling DailyMail this afternoon and saw a giant headline in my face about Etsy being in business with SVB and that sellers weren't paid on Friday because of what has transpired with them. Why in the world has Etsy not contacted ALL of us? It appears to be business as usual at Etsy and I'm getting cha-chings back to back and now a little worried about shipping orders if I'm not going to be paid. I see people are putting their shops on vacation mode. Are we all supposed to be doing this to prevent more chaos than needed? I'd rather not be accepting money from people for items if we're not going to be paid. Where's the transparency Etsy has always claimed to have? You're on national news Etsy! You need to speak up and tell us what to expect Monday before the "mompreneurs" start a riot. Now I'm off to change my payouts to daily so that I never build up a surplus of money that can vanish in the blink of an eye if a bank goes under overnight. I advise you all to do the same. I hope Etsy gets its ducks in a row over the weekend and everyone is paid on Monday. I won't melt down until that point.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.