blzopbhi
Community Curator

US Etsy Sign in Redirects to UK

Jump to solution

I live in the US and my shop, account, and bank are US and I charge and pay in UD $. However, when I sign into my Etsy account I am automatically dropped into Etsy United Kingdom with all prices shown in British Pounds. Not that I have anything against my cousins on the other side of the pond, I just don't want to pay foreign currency fees for buying from shops in the US. 

I've done the usual - cleared the cache, cleared cookies, restarted browser, restarted computer. I do not use the mobile ap.

I've made no changes to my account settings.

This occurs from both Chrome and Bing, so it is not a browser issue.

Any ideas on why it happens and how to correct it? 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Re: US Etsy Sign in Redirects to UK

Jump to solution

Check your buyer settings (these are different/separate to your shop settings). Go to any Etsy shopping page (not your shop manager) and scroll to the bottom. On the left will be your user (buyer) settings such as region, currency and language. Sometimes they change by themselves (a bug) and you have to reset them.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
15 Replies
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Are you talking about another shop?

It looks like the shop you are posting from hasn't been selling for 2 years. I don't see another shop disclosed so it's difficult to really begin to guess the problem.

Does your other shop ship from the U.S.?

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@blzopbhi 

One thing to check/try...

go to a listing, any listing and look on the right side , scroll down a bit to the Shipping & Return policies bit of the listing. See if it says Deliver to the United States and your zip code there or if it says Deliver to United Kingdom. If it says UK there then click the tiny inverted triangle and update the country and zip code there. That may reset it for you. 

1 Like
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

There are no listings.

That I can see.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@OneEyeCatStudio 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I think he's talking about other shops listings not his specifically. Like when he's browsing etsy everything shows as if he's in the UK. It doesn't need to be his listing.

My reply was to suggest he check on any listing in any shop. Doesn't need to be one of his listings he checks the delivery to bit. 

2 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Ah maybe that's it!

I didn't imagine that, as I didn't think buyers only were allowed to post in the forum.

1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@OneEyeCatStudio OP has a shop, it's just on vacation.

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Yes. For two years, it looks like.
I saw

" I charge and pay in UD $"

and erroneously thought it was a seller problem.

My mistake.

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Check your buyer settings (these are different/separate to your shop settings). Go to any Etsy shopping page (not your shop manager) and scroll to the bottom. On the left will be your user (buyer) settings such as region, currency and language. Sometimes they change by themselves (a bug) and you have to reset them.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

When I click on your shop name here in the forum and hover over your shop in that little window that opens up -  it does have 'uk' in the link.  This has come up once or twice before with other shops and if memory serves it had something to do with regional settings either on their device or through an APP.

eta:  Here is one of the posts I spotted - some go all the way back to a year ago or more.  https://community.etsy.com/t5/Technical-Issues/U-K-seller-Region-and-currency-settings-keep-revertin...

1 Like

Jump to solution

@Former_Member 

ohhh good catch. I just checked and I'm seeing the same thing. When I click through to OP's shop this is the url that is displayed https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MULLANPHYLANE

I wonder if the extended vacation mode has something to do with it?

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I don't know.  

I know there was one lady here about a year ago that had the same issue and she hadn't been on 'vacay' prior.  I don't think anyone ever came back with the solution, sadly.

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@Former_Member just an FYI for future ref. Since OP has fixed the problem (in the buyer settings), I am no longer seeing 'uk' in their shop url (when hovering). I'm kind of confused how those things are linked (to me they should be independent) but there you go.

0 Likes
FancyTogs
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Your user account settings used for viewing are separate from shop settings.

Logged out user settings are unique to each browser and they are saved in that browser's cookies. Clearing browser cookies will cause the user settings to be freshly guessed by Etsy (I suspect based on IP address) next time that you visit Etsy while logged out.

Logged in user settings are saved on Etsy's server, they are independant of the logged out settings, so are not affected by clearing browser cookies (although clearing the cookies should log you out of Etsy).

Whether logged out or logged in the user display settings of language, country and currency can be changed at the bottom of any of the normal Etsy marketplace pages.

Additionally there is a delivery country setting, which is accessed from any listing page, and allows you to set the country for delivery price. It is annoyingly sticky, but I am not sure if it is stored separately for logged out and logged in.

If you are accessing Etsy from a saved link, such as a desktop shortcut, or a search engine link, or an autofilled suggestion on the browser url bar (usually sourced from your browser history), and the saved link includes a country code then it may be overwriting your user settings. Check how you access Etsy.

Lawrence (Clare's other half)

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I think @WitticismsRus may have solved the problem.  Years ago, I changed the ship to country to see how much something would cost to send to Australia.   I forgot to change it back and wondered why everything I looked after that had the ''wrong'' prices.   I checked the info at the bottom of an Etsy page, checked my account info, and changed it back to the US settings.  But the next time I logged in, I was back in Australia!   It finally dawned on me to go to another shop's listing and change the ship to country back to the US.

Having had seen Technical OPs about this over the years, I know this mistake happens to others more than you'd think.  So if you change the listing info, remember to change it back!

1 Like
blzopbhi
Community Curator

Jump to solution

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Special thanks to @Amaradorn for nailing it.

Must be a glitch - I haven't changed any settings in ages and in the buyer settings the region had been changed to UK. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Again, thanks!

I do not use mobile or any other app - only my PC and it is not synced or linked to any other device.

@FancyTogs I always type url's, just an old habit. If it's a long one I generally don't go back. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.