To many issues with the website

What is going on with Etsy in the last few weeks, there just seems issue after issue with the site and nothing is getting fixed, activate and deactivate problem, delete listing problem, listing issues, messaging problems, review windows not opening up, shops are being hacked ,the site is in such a mess and its seems to be getting worse every single day, its like the tech department have just given up, or the information that all the sellers are are posting everyday is not getting passed on.

We need this all sorting out, us the sellers cannot work like this, its just ridiculous!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
38 Likes
73 Replies

Re: To many issues with the website

I will be over on Ebay listing today it is easier, quicker and more importantly it works.

19 Likes

I dont blame you, its like they just dont care anymore, and leaving the site to die a slow death.

5 Likes

I have made some  jug/wine glass covers - it's summertime and people are in the garden

I normally put half here and half on Amazon Handmade - they all went to Amazon Handmade yesterday - and I've sold 2 already

7 Likes

@CraftyCornishMaids  thats great news, i am looking into Amazon now, it appears one of my items will only workout just under £6 more in fees if i sell there, and could easily up my prices, and of course if i get hit with Off Site Ads here as i seem to be alot of late, i will be paying alot more on Etsy in fees for a site that does not even work properly, the only thing is i cant see alot of Handmade jewellery coming up in the search results, or is it the fact there is not alot on there, i really dont know.

0 Likes

@daisysjewellerygifts 

I have an item at £18.50 plus £3.45 postage,
total fees are £3.22, that includes everything, including operating fee,  VAT - everything

5 Likes

The last few weeks I no longer get the highlighted message alert on the shop manager, so I have to check them often. 

0 Likes

It's always had it's ups and downs but right now, it's culminated into the finale of a dumpster fire.

That said, hacking?  Who has been hacked?

4 Likes
NostalgieCT
Conversation Maker

A couple of shop owners have come to the forums recently saying their accounts have been hacked. One I recall shunts all of their views to an offsite website. IDK if those folks got resolution. Others have reported theft of their photos and listings by other "shops". Etsy is slow to respond to either issue.

1 Like

Stealing photos isn't being hacked.

Anyone can copy our photos.

Stealing photos is theft.  An individual doesn't need access to our passwords, accounts, etc. to steal a photo.

3 Likes
NostalgieCT
Conversation Maker

I understand that theft of photos and listings is not hacking but it's also a very disruptive, shop hobbling offense causing sellers to have to file take down notices over and over or get flooded with POed scam victims. Either way it's disruptive to their primary objective, possibly crippling.

I did a quick forum search limiting the scope to one month and there were 8 unique reports of hacking. Whether they were in fact hacked or they lost control of their password through "loose lips sinks ships" IDK, that will be for CS to sort out. That seems like a high number to me.

0 Likes

@SeasideRoseCreations, there has been quite alot a shops that have been taken over in the last month or so, put in hacked in the search and you will see some of the posts, also there does seem to be one company who are going into inactive shops and advertising thier items.

3 Likes

@SeasideRoseCreations  yet another post just appeared regarding an account has been hacked.

https://community.etsy.com/t5/All-Things-Finance/Account-hacked-and-outstanding-invoice

Sorry link is not working either!!

1 Like

These links aren't proof of a "hacking" issue on Etsy.

All they prove is user error or some bizarre glitch.

Someone "hacks" an account and creates listings and sets up an ad campaign?

There's enough wrong with this site without adding conspiracy theories about hacking to the list.

2 Likes
Jewels2at
Community Maker

There are threads where the email was changed as well as the bank accounts.

I would call that hacking.

4 Likes

@daisysjewellerygifts wrote:

....shops are being hacked

People coming to the forum about having been "hacked" usually turn out to have shared their password and the situation went south.  To my knowledge, no accounts have been truly hacked - or at least, there's no rash of that.  If you have links to info about an increase in actual break-ins, please post them. 

6 Likes

The word "hack" is used erroneously a lot, on here.

I'd like to see definitive proof too (with links).

4 Likes

@SeasideRoseCreations 

Yes - "Hacked" usually means that I let my teenager use my account and she looked at sexy lingerie.  Now Etsy is showing me dildos, OMG!!

6 Likes

Or...I got an order but the person doesn't have any favorites.

Am I being scammed and can they "hack" me.

@FallenAngelBrass 

5 Likes

Some of the legitimate hacks were done to inactive shops that were left open. It’s been noted that they were most likely targeted because it’s easier for a hacker to take over an abandoned  account without being noticed.

4 Likes

@FallenAngelBrass 

another new post about being hacked has just appeared in the forum, i did send you a link but it apppears thats not working either.

0 Likes
NostalgieCT
Conversation Maker

Unfortunately Etsy is the site that uniquely fits my vintage items for sale but that they have become buggy and unstable without a shred of seller support is worrisome. Note all of the forum threads where sellers said that CS sent them here for technical problems we can't solve in the past few weeks. What is that about?

Yesterday I sold several Etsy listings in my shop, usually no big deal, deactivate or delete and carry on, but until I could stop and read the forum during a slow period for seller generated workarounds for deletion or even deactivation I could only put "Sold Out" at the beginning of the listing titles without the dreaded red uh-oh banner which was iffy at best as a solution for an OOAK item no longer available for sale. 

Later discussing this with my husband he said I should have changed the price to over $1K and that would have stopped any reasonable person from buying my sold items. Good idea. He also said that he used to think that the IT department got stoned on the weekends and was fiddling with the works for fun but now he thinks someone or several someones in IT is/are really mad at Etsy. Can't discount either theory.

Either way it's worrisome to be somewhat dependent on such a shaky platform to liquidate my business.

4 Likes

Etsy doesn't have the budget for more IT people, yet seems to have all the money in the world to create gimmicky promotions and TV ads about skateboarding coffee tables. 

23 Likes

Another suggestions for the not able to delete or deactivate problem would be to change out the pictures to just one that is a sign that says  Sold Out.  If there is nothing to look at, there is nothing to buy.

1 Like

.... could it be that rival websites have their insiders in Etsy? Just a sense I had some time ago, after seeing so many issues. I can't find any other valid explanation.

"If they have so many technical issues they will leave Etsy"......

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.