zptees
Post Crafter

Tax ID update page erroring out, shop suspended. PLEASE HELP!

I have been trying to update my SSN via the Legal and Tax Information page on Etsy for the past 5 days.

No matter what I do, I get an error message saying "There was an error saving your taxpayer information. Please try again."

I'm not sure if there are Etsy admins on this forum, but I am at my wit's end trying to fix this. So far, all I got from Etsy was a canned email.

Please help.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
7 Likes
66 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Tax ID update page erroring out, shop suspended. PLEASE HELP!

Why do you need to update your SSN? Did you enter it incorrectly the first time?

0 Likes
zptees
Post Crafter

New tax laws. Etsy has to issue a 1099 if you sell $600 or more this year.

2 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

The Federal law is still $20,000 and 200 sales. Some states have their threshold set at $600. I don't know what that has to do with changing your SSN.

0 Likes
zptees
Post Crafter

The fact remains that my shop is deactivated because of it, regardless of what the law may be.

10 Likes
OrnamentBoutique
Conversation Maker

@NanaLetha isn’t the new law for $600 in transactions in affect now? I thought the delay the IRS announced in December stated it would be in affect for 2024 filing season, meaning it’s applicable for 2023 sales?  

1 Like
LynnsLittleShop
Conversation Maker

@OrnamentBoutique, my state of Virginia passed legislation that we have to file if we sell $600 in 2022. We don't get to delay it! 

0 Likes

Hi there, I am having the same issue too except it is when I try to add in my EIN. Everything is correct and was uploaded correctly the first time but Etsy is saying they cannot verify. I have submitted 3 support tickets and get the same auto generated response. I have tried for over a week to get help, resolve myself but nothing is working and I get the same error message as the OP. 

6 Likes

I've seen in the forum other people having trouble when trying to use an EIN. Is it possible to use your SSN?

When you get the automated response from Etsy, reply with "still need help." Do not submit a new ticket as this puts you back at the end of the line. 

2 Likes
EDCCollective
Conversation Maker

Your tax ID information must match how you file your tax return. If you are filing a single proprietor schedule C then that is most likely your SSN, not an EIN, even if your business has one.

Edited to add: This is info I have heard at two different workshops about small business tax filings.

1 Like

Same with me. I had the issue a couple years ago that they said they couldn't verify my info. They put my shop on vacation mode. Then they say you only have 2 more tries. So I contacted them and they fixed it for me. Now after verifying my bank with Plaid it's saying the same thing. There's nothing I can change because it's correct. My bank is the same and so is everything else. Since my business is set up with my coworker changing to a SSN wouldn't be good because we file taxes as a partnership and one person should not pay all the taxes. I have also contacted Etsy and no help but nothing has happened so maybe it's a glitch for me? Good luck! (Also, when I first contacted them about this it took about 2 weeks for a response so maybe they will still reply.)

4 Likes

I'm having the same exact issue.  Its been 3 days so far.  Shop suspended.    I just now put my shop on Vacation mode as someone suggested.  

This is the pits. 

5 Likes

I appreciate all of the ideas - unfortunately I have tried those workarounds and submitted a support ticket but they keep resending the same auto generated responses as a way of "support". Does any one know of a way to get a human to support on a case resulting from this? 

6 Likes

I'm having the exact same issue and no way to contact Etsy support.   

3 Likes

Same here!! Any luck yet??

3 Likes
HobsonFineArt
Inspiration Seeker

I'm having the same issue - soooo frustrating.  WTF Etsy?  I have had one "chat" and 3 emails and no satisfactory response.  Cannot add my SS# - response is : ""There was an error saving your taxpayer information. Please try again."  My shop has been suspended for nearly 2 months.

6 Likes

@DigitalDesignHausLLC: Often the first response you get from customer support is an automated reply meant to weed out the people who contact support over common issues that can be easily solved.

Every eMail from Etsy support should have a link something like "I Still Need Help". Click on that link in each reply from Etsy (or actually reply stating that you still need help) to keep the report alive otherwise Etsy will assume that it is resolved. You may have to do this innumerable times, before anything is done but do not give up. DO NOT open a new issue or contact Etsy multiple times about the same issue (doing so closes the one you already opened and puts the new one on the bottom of the pile).

3 Likes
zptees
Post Crafter

So, after a week battling these bozos via email, the issue was finally fixed.

HOWEVER, now it's taking them more than 5 days to update the SS info. Meanwhile, I have people asking me where my designs are.

It is absolutely INFURIATING what's going on. I'm losing $50-$100/day because of their shenanigans. 

6 Likes
EDCCollective
Conversation Maker

I'm glad you are at least seeing some forward motion.

1 Like
zptees
Post Crafter

UPDATE: account is still suspended. 

Pro-tip: I went to Etsy's Facebook page and sent them a message. Etsy's Facebook Messenger says they will contact you within 2-3 days but I was able to get not one, but two employees on the case since yesterday. It makes sense. Getting trashed online is the easiest way to get yelled at by management at my 9-to-5. Companies live and die by social media impressions anymore. 

Still pissed off to no end, but at least it looks like things might get resolved soon.

6 Likes

Going to try FB.. this is ridiculous.. 

2 Likes

I just sent a message via FB... Beyond frustrating.. 

2 Likes

Did they help you? i keep getting message asking me to do the same thing over and over. 

1 Like

DId you get help? I keep getting the support folks asking and telling me to do the same thing over and over. I need it escalated but now they aren't even responding... So frustrated and upset over this. I have 3 other stores using the correct info and they work fine. grrrr

3 Likes

This message is to Laurie..  I just wanted to update my part in the conversation.   I didn't attempt to contact anyone of FB.  After reading some of the comments I elected to just drop that idea.  

Just an fyi..  Maybe we can get more info from the OP now that a couple days have passed. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.