UrbanSageGoods
Inspiration Seeker

Receiving emails for in person transactions that I did not do.

Jump to solution

Today I received a dozen emails about in-person Etsy transactions that I did not do. 

my account has been on vacation mode for several month. I never use Etsy anymore, and I never use my Square for transactions.

I chatted with Etsy Support and they were not helpful. Even though the bottom of each emailed receipt says “Contact Etsy Support if you were not involved in this transaction”. 

It is impossible to get any support for Etsy, which is why I left this platform last year. 

I hope I am not being scammed, and asked to refund money I haven’t received for items I did not sell. 

Labels (4)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
4 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Receiving emails for in person transactions that I did not do.

Jump to solution
0 Likes
28 Replies

Jump to solution
1 Like

Jump to solution

Geez.........not good. Sure looks like a lot of other sellers have this happening too.
2 threads in "managing shops" and this one and another one in "technical issues".

2 Likes

Jump to solution

There are posts in some FB groups too. 

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Um... Getting orders in a shop that's on vacation?... Ok, I'm officially scared.

6 Likes
AnnaSewingShop
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I am also getting old in person transactions suddenly appearing in etsy.  Tried etsy chat support all afternoon and got the run around.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Were they YOUR old transactions?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I also received dozens of emails today and my shop appears empty on my app. The transactions say they were in cash which I also found weird. I can’t find where to submit a complaint or help request. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

I got 6 emails, myself. They were all for cash, in-person sales. I have Square transactions from 7/23/22 that exactly match to these emails. And, in reviewing my email history, I never received these emails (and I should have) back in July. It appears that maybe the July Square transactions got hung-up in Etsy’s system somehow and they are just now processing them. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Had the same thing happen but mine were from May.

0 Likes
SunlessShimmer
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I also received an email today saying I made an in person sell today. I have done zero in person sales today. I'm unable to find where to go to resolve.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Maybe its something to do with Square rather than Etsy, has anyone tried to contact Square regarding whats going on?

0 Likes
ClairePaulDraws
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Same thing here - 6 emails all at exactly 5.56am. I don’t use my Square for cash transactions so I’m very confused! 

0 Likes
NJSimages
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I received over 113 emails stating I had "in person transactions" all from 6:31 am-6:32 am.  I had not made any in person sales during that time.  I immediately logged into Square and there weren't any transactions that appear there.  I logged into Etsy and there wasn't anything showing there either.  I changed my passwords on both just to be safe.  My guess at this point is Etsy is sending emails they hadn't previously or the emails are scam emails that are trying to get our information (if we were to click into the receipt, etc).  Emails when you hover over the sender does say "transaction@etsy.com"   

0 Likes
NJSimages
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Now the number is up to 121 emails and THEY ARE showing in my Etsy dashboard.  I do use Square but did not today.  I checked the order number and the transaction number on Square and there are no orders that match within last year.  On the email it is VERY specific to what the customer bought and not how I would conduct an in-person sale.  

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I received 41 emails this morning stating I have various in person transactions. I figured out it is all of the charges I have used for the year through my square reader. These charges go back as far as April. Whew! I am glad it was not a scam or hack. I hope this helps. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Agree…I woke up to 12 emails.  They match exactly to sales I made in person through square last month.  

0 Likes
MissTorture
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I got 51 in person sales emails as well. They are showing up as blank orders in my completed orders!!!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

You would think that Etsy would put out an email about this to clear things up, if they indeed came from Etsy. I posted here: https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/Received-45-Etsy-emails-about-in-person-sales-at-5-... because I couldn't get any help from Etsy support, or even a way to notify them this was happening.

1 Like

Jump to solution
0 Likes
VibeEnvy
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

One comment from a mod started it's an issue with "notifications" and the other says it's about "older" square emails coming up, but a lot of people seem to say they don't even use square. So they would never have "older" emails to come back, it's not a "notification" issue but a fraudulent order issue if people are seeing revenue in their accounts from this.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Where have you seen people say they don't use square and are having this problem? From all the posts (there are many) and comments, people that have synced their square account to their etsy account seems to be the only common factor. I have not seen anyone say they have this problem and they don't use square, much less lots of people. 

1 Like
VibeEnvy
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Maybe I'm just not getting that clarification, Claire a few posts above said they don't use square for cash transactions, but I guess that doesn't mean she doesn't use square, there were similar comments on another thread, maybe I didn't read between the lines that they just don't "currently" use it or something.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Yes, some of the people don't use the 'cash transaction' feature on square (because why would you pay a transaction fee for a cash sale), but still sounds like all the accounts are synced. At least that's still my belief until I see evidence otherwise. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Etsy customer support was anything but supportive.  They assured me everything was fine and there was a team working on it.  I’m troubled that I can’t even speak with a human when potential hacking is involved.  I wish I could believe that Etsy has my back but I just don’t trust that this will get resolved.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.