Permanent account suspension without stating the reason

A few days ago, I opened a seller account (BedakDreamDesigns), expressing my intention to engage in print-on-demand business with Printify during the setup. As I didn't have a credit card, I reluctantly added my regular bank account, created a listing page, and finalized my account. I thought I could list 40 products for free using a user's address. However, as soon as I opened the shop, I noticed a charge for 1 product listing as 0.20 cent, plus an additional tax value.

I became concerned whether I would be suspended immediately since I used a regular bank card and also because I thought the 40 free listings offer was applicable. I contacted Etsy support right away. It seems I missed claiming the 40 free listings due to my mistake. They confirmed there was no issue with the bank card, and they even granted me 20 additional free listings to use.

Later, while I was making banner adjustments and entering my information, I suddenly saw a message stating that my account was suspended. I messaged the help support team, but received no response. I pleaded with them to tell me the reason and whether the suspension was temporary or permanent. However, there was no reply. Additionally, they stated that an email regarding the issue was sent, but I have never received one.

I filled out an appeal after a lot of unanswered help messages, listing potential reasons that I was thinking of and stating that I took precautions. Within a few minutes, I received a message stating that they had thoroughly reviewed and I didn't meet their selling criteria. I was permanently banned without the option to discuss it. They banned my account, which was connected to Printify, and which I had confirmed my card for, without giving any reasons. Even if there were valid reasons, they didn't provide any explanation. I sent a final message, stating that I wouldn't discuss the suspended reason but at least tell me the reason. Unfortunately, I received no response.

They took money from me without providing any service in return. It caused unnecessary stress for the last two days, making me question where I went wrong in life. I'm now contemplating how this will affect my future. All of this, fueled by the promises of 'free' business ventures everywhere.

I filed a complaint Better Business Bureau (BBB) today but I know that I won't be able to recover my account, unfortunately.

I hope I haven't caused too much inconvenience to discuss it here. If I have, I apologize.

Best regards,

Bedirhan

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
29 Replies

Re: Permanent account suspension without stating the reason

Depending on what country you're located in, the problem could be because you didn't add a credit or debit card when opening shop.

How to Open an Etsy Shop – Etsy Help

Set up your payment and billing details

To get paid on Etsy, you need to connect your bank account to your Etsy shop so that you can receive payments. You’ll also need to add a debit or credit card to your account to pay your bills from Etsy. 

2 Likes

@TheVintagePineapple You don't need a credit card to open an Etsy shop.  Your debit card associated with your bank account is enough. 

0 Likes

@JJewellerySuppliesUK  Read @TheVintagePineapple post again - it says "you'll also need to add a debit or credit card"

2 Likes

@HazelsSewingSupplies Yes, a credit or debit card (debit card is the card associated with the bank account). 

I think the post above was amended to include it.  

1 Like

@JJewellerySuppliesUK I didn't edit my original post to include debit card after reading your reply.  It was already long past the time to edit anything anyway.   The last paragraph is a c/p of the Help article.

0 Likes

@TheVintagePineapple Okay, my bad for not reading it properly!! 

1 Like

TheVintagePineapple, thank you for your answer but I as soon as I opened my account, I messaged them regarding this bank card issue. They said there was no problem, and indeed, they took the 0.20 cents from me using my bank card. So, there was no issue with my bank card. After that, I dont know what the reson is.

0 Likes

From what I've seen here in the forums, etsy will not tell you why your shop has been suspended permanently. Had you provided an ID? Did eyour name match on your ID/bank card/etsy account EXACTLY?

I don't understand you saying they billed you for 20 cents immediately. We pay whatever charges we've accrued on the first of every month.

2 Likes

VintageRescueSquad, when I open my account, there is -0.20 in my Finances part and there is a button to pay it. So I did push it because I thought that I have 40 listings gift and I thought that it is a test and if I didnt pay I could be suspended. So I did pay it and suspended.
0 Likes

Everything, even my ID is expected first. They told it in their messages from Help Center. I couldnt write their exact message here because it is prohibited to write them here they say. And in their appeal answer that it was automatic answer, they say they wont discuss my account status further. So I am not here to reopen it, I just lost my dreams, and I wanted to share this with someone.

0 Likes

And all of this happened within one day. I was happy for a few hours, just opening a seller account, and suddenly, it felt like I had committed a crime, being excluded as if I had done something unforgivable.

0 Likes

It's hard to know why your account was suspended based on the information provided.

Did you read the sellers handbook and policies on what can be sold on Etsy? 

Did your listing contain any elements that were prohibited, e.g. promoting violence or hate?

Were your designs original - designed by you? Were they or components in the designs used elsewhere?

Did you mention famous people, movies, cartoons in your titels, descriptions, tags or designs themselves?

And if you based what you were doing something based on what others were doing, that seems to lead some shops astray ... not all shops get caught breaking Etsy's rules right away. The only reliable guides are the seller's handbook and the policies published by Etsy in its help section.

2 Likes

GlassyFields, thank you for concern. I just watch a lot of videos, I just bought a lot of studies and most of them are talking about suspended. While I am at the beginning as the setup stage, I was already fearful of getting suspended. Therefore, I might have made mistakes myself because I was nervous. I might have done something wrong, but I don't believe these are things that should result in a lifetime suspension.

Regarding your questions; I filled out the listing part quite casually because the listings were supposed to come from Printify anyway. I immediately made the listing inactive as soon as I opened the page so that there wouldn't be an odd appearance until the opening. I created my banner using Canvas as a free user, and I used AI for my user photo, making adjustments to ensure it didn't violate policies. Everything was original. I didn't mention names and personal details, only wrote something related to my account name. When filling in a few details about me, I saw that I was suspended, but no email was received about it.

Maybe, as you suggested, I might have done somethings that violate the rules, but I wasn't told what they were. Or, I don't even know if I did something that warrants a permanent ban. So I asked them what did I wrong and when I havent take any answer I am just here to talk to you.

0 Likes

@BedakDreamDesigns 

Etsy rules are in the Seller's Handbook. It's a seller's responsibility to know the rules. Etsy has already told you by publishing them in the Seller's handbook.

Every violation is a black mark. So it's not a good idea to see what flies and what doesn't. 

You can try to appeal a suspension. But based on what I read in the forums, at some point Etsy will simply stop communiciating with you.

Etsy is not known for providing detailed information about suspensions or bans. It really requires sellers to know and abide by the rules.

The forum participants can provide advice, opinions, tips, and share experiences. We can commiserate. But only Etsy can suspend, ban or unsuspend.

1 Like

Thank you, GlassyFields. Ofcourse my action violates something that they suspended me permanently but they have to say it to me what that is. Because maybe someone is bored and suspended me? How can I know that?

And if you go to Listings part, there is red text on the top that I am afraid when I see it all the time. It says; "Your account is currently suspended. Please check your email for a message explaining why, and how to restore your account. If you have further questions, contact Etsy support."

Their text says they sent an email to me but I have never had it.

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Have you ever had any other shops on Etsy which may have been suspended?

Are you in a country which is currently eligible for Etsy Payments?

(Just guessing here) I wonder if Etsy are now suspending new shops while they validate the ID due to their increased security measures. I find it strange however that they are not communicating this to you - however I'm not surprised. Etsy have always been bad at communicating. 

Check your email inbox (inc. Spam/junk). Also check that the email address you used to set up your account is valid and you didn't make a mistake when you entered it.

0 Likes

Hi Amaradorn,

I have never had any shops before and I am in eligible country. After completing the account setup, I immediately messaged the Help Center to inquire if there were any issues with my account. Upon receiving a positive response, I proceeded to create and upload banners. However, while filling out the "About Me" section, I noticed the "suspended" message. Although it stated that an email had been sent regarding the reason, I never received any related emails. Interestingly, after the initial response to my first message, another person as a colleague of other person messaged me expressing they are lucky in having me as a seller. However, following the appearance of the "suspended" message, they distanced themselves, and it seemed like there was no response as if I have committed a major crime.

Subsequently, an automated message arrived, instructing me to file an appeal. I asked them if my account was temporarily or permenant suspended, and I received no response. Upon completing the appeal, an automated message promptly arrived, stating that I was not eligible, and they wont answer my any questions about my account status. Notably, my email address is valid, and Etsy continues to send messages claiming an increase in my rank. Thank you.

0 Likes

I just realized that my access to Etsy buying and selling apps has also been blocked. I can only access here through the website.

0 Likes

I opened a second shop and have had exactly the same thing happen to me.  I'm waiting out the two weeks to see if a human actually reviews it.  I do wonder if it's anything to do with the recent announcement re shop onboarding?  The only thing I can imagine is I copied some of the listings from my original shop to the new one so maybe it didn't like that but I'm not sure.

1 Like

@RainbowArtbyCarly wrote:

The only thing I can imagine is I copied some of the listings from my original shop to the new one so maybe it didn't like that but I'm not sure.

This violates Etsy policy.  We may not have duplicate listings in multiple shops. 

0 Likes

@FallenAngelBrass   You beat me to this one.

1 Like

LOL, @HazelsSewingSupplies , a first for me. I'm usually a day late to these things!

0 Likes

@FallenAngelBrass  Well, then you were due one!!  LOL

1 Like

Lots of second shops are falsely suspended right away, for some reason. I don't think it necessarily means anything was wrong. Yes, it's against Etsy policy to have duplicate listings in different shops, but I doubt they had time to analyze that, if the suspension happened right away. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.