Messaging buyers issue

Jump to solution

I have always messaged my buyers thanking them for their orders, letting them know when I mail their packages and give them their tracking numbers.  For the last few days I have not been able to send any messages to buyers,  It keeps coming up that "something isn't right, to refresh and if it continues, tell support".  I did yesterday, and haven't heard back yet.  Has anyone else had this problem and how long did it last?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Re: Messaging buyers issue

Jump to solution

@RootsToShootsNursery 

"I tell them the day the order is going out, thank them for the order, and give them the tracking number. "

There is no good reason to do this.  When you mark an order complete and add the tracking number, or you use Etsy labels or an integrated service, Etsy sends the buyer a message with that exact information.  You are only duplicating it, and wasting time and effort.  Buyers don't need numerous duplicate emails.  

View solution in original post

4 Likes
41 Replies

Jump to solution

Etsy has disabled the ability to start conversations with buyers.  It is most likely to prevent scammers sending random messages but also it is considered spam to initiate messages to your customers since they will already have had an email about their order, assuming you have set up your Message to Buyers.  

If you haven't set it up then go to Shop Manager - Settings - Info & Appearance - Scroll to Message to Buyers - Fill it in - scroll to the bottom and click SAVE

4 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Etsy has disabled the ability to start conversations with shoppers who favorite items.  But with actual buyers, I don't think so.  

It would be disastrous if Etsy disabled conversations with actual buyers because there are numerous legitimate reasons why sellers might need to contact buyers prior to shipping.  Etsy still gives us buyer's emails, and it would be far worse if sellers moved to emailing, instead of Etsy messaging.  With messages, Etsy actually has some insight and control.  

However, I do think that this type of messaging the OP is referring to is unneeded and unwanted, since Etsy already sends buyers email confirmations with tracking.  

9 Likes

Jump to solution

I try not to message a buyer unless I have a specific need to ...

like I'm pulling their order and an item is missing ... I offer to refund or substitute a similar item and I send a picture of the similar item

like I get two orders from the same person back to back and I want to ask them if they'd like their orders batched and the shipping for the 2nd order refunded (sometimes someone orders for a friend and wants it to come separate ... esp if its a lot of small items).

There are plenty of situations where it's better to let the buyer confirm/decide/make a choice/weigh in.

2 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

"...letting them know when I mail their packages and give them their tracking numbers."

You don't need to do this, because Etsy already does.  When you mark your orders complete and enter a tracking number, or you use Etsy or an integrated service to do so, Etsy sends a message to your buyer with the tracking info.  No need to duplicate it.

3 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Buyers get an email from Etsy with that info, no need to bother the buyer with duplicate info 

1 Like
TBQSC
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Sending duplicate info in messages would also initiate the whole Star Seller non-response issue that affects their SS badges.  

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I have no way contact with my buyers either . We  need help fast I lost sales. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@CopperWorksByWilliam  how have you lost sales?  If a Buyer asks a question after a purchase, it still shows up in your messages and you can reply.

Otherwise, if you need to ask the Buyer something to complete the order, see my post, above.

* nesting not working again

3 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@CopperWorksByWilliam  email them 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

If you are used to contacting Buyers through their profiles - that has been removed, in the past week or so.

However, you can still message actual Buyers through their orders.  I've done it in the past day or so.

4 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@PillowDetails  Thank you for the clarification, that makes perfect sense.  

3 Likes

Jump to solution

@PillowDetails 

That's good to know! Thank you

And yes, I CAN see a reason to contact a buyer after purchase. MY processing time can run up to three weeks and I account for this in my listings. However--sometimes I can get an order out in 2-3 days if business is slow. Other times it may take the entire 3 weeks. I like to contact the buyer and give them an estimate on when it will ship. This can be important to buyers (at least mine) if it is time sensitive.

1 Like
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@RootsToShootsNursery   I put a thank you for your purchase card in with the order.  Etsy gives them the shipping notification and the tracking number.  The buyer doesn't need to be bothered with any more than that.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I send them thank you for making my copper art work your favorite, God Bless, William message and some times that is enough to make a sale 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

This is considered spam, sorry.  They are Etsy's customers until they actually purchase.

3 Likes
DesertChains
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@CopperWorksByWilliam 

Messaging people who favorite your items is spamming and is prohibited by Etsy.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Sorry to say, William, we are not supposed to contact users who favorite our items. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

What you’re doing is actually illegal in many countries. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@CopperWorksByWilliam  You are not allowed to send them yourself but you can sign up for Etsy's messages to people who favourite your items.  You will need to offer some sort of discount though (I do 10%).  Scroll down to Targeted Offers in this article to set it up:

How to Set Up Sales and Discounts for Your Shop – Etsy

1 Like

Jump to solution

reaching out to some one you favorites your art work is not spam!

0 Likes
artbyjocelyn
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Sorry, but yes, it is. Read Etsy's TOUs.

4 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Not only is it considered spam and rude, it is actually illegal in some countries.

3 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

In the US and other places, yes, it is spam.  Doing so is a violation of federal law.  Here is the Federal Trade Commission on the CAN-SPAM act:

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/resources/can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business

Sorry you were blindside by this.  

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@CopperWorksByWilliam

Yes, it IS spam. If they haven't specifically signed up to get messages from you, that is spam because you don't have their permission to contact them. This is a LAW anywhere in the US and also in some other countries.

Once they have made a purchase, you can contact them about their order, only. 

If they have consented to receive emails from Etsy, only Etsy can contact them. Only Etsy has received that permission from the customer.

Etsy has coupons Etsy will include for you for favoriting an item, for items they left in their shopping cart, or a thank you for making a purchase, if you sign up for them.

Otherwise, you have to set up a newsletter somewhere and have them sign up to receive that newsletter, then you can email them. But you cannot email Etsy's customers unless they contact you first with a question. And then you can answer them via the Convo system.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.