I have always messaged my buyers thanking them for their orders, letting them know when I mail their packages and give them their tracking numbers.  For the last few days I have not been able to send any messages to buyers,  It keeps coming up that "something isn't right, to refresh and if it continues, tell support".  I did yesterday, and haven't heard back yet.  Has anyone else had this problem and how long did it last?

Re: Messaging buyers issue

Jump to solution

I have been doing this for years!  I've had people respond and say they appreciate the information.  I am responding to them the day I send their orders out.  I do not contact them otherwise unless they contact me first.  I can't imagine why, when I go to send the buyer a message, it will not go through.  I'm not breaking any rules.  I tell them the day the order is going out, thank them for the order, and give them the tracking number.  That is it.  No other contact. Whether someone thinks I need to do this or not, I want to do it.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@RootsToShootsNursery 

"I tell them the day the order is going out, thank them for the order, and give them the tracking number. "

There is no good reason to do this.  When you mark an order complete and add the tracking number, or you use Etsy labels or an integrated service, Etsy sends the buyer a message with that exact information.  You are only duplicating it, and wasting time and effort.  Buyers don't need numerous duplicate emails.  

4 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@RootsToShootsNursery   If I purchased something from you, and received all of that, it would sadly be the last purchase from your shop.  I don't need the information twice, and etsy already takes care of it.  Put a thank you card IN with the purchase, and leave it at that.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I agree with @JustMeToo  I would be annoyed to receive the same message I had already just received. It seems 'desperate'.  Also, I get enough spammy messages as it is.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I agree that we already get way too many messages directly from Etsy about our orders. It's shipped, USPS has it, it's in your state, it's going to be delivered today, it's been delivered, time to leave a review, etc. There's no need to add to that unless you need to share some information that Etsy isn't already sending.

However, we should be able to contact our buyers if we need to. I don't think the OP is going against any rules by contacting buyers, so I'm not sure why the messages aren't going through.

@RootsToShootsNursery If you really need to contact your buyers, do it through email instead. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

@RootsToShootsNursery how many of these messages do you send in a day? Are they all worded pretty much the same? It's likely Etsy has seen a lot of very similar/same messages coming from you and have deemed that as spam. The restricted messaging time frame can last as long as Etsy decides ... could be a couple of weeks. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

In response to all of you.  I've just received a message from Etsy that my messages were turned off in ERROR.  They have put everything back as normal. 

4 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Glad it was fixed for you, but now I wonder ... how many other accounts were turned off in error?!?!

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Etsy informed me that there was a mistake made stopping my messages.  It has been fixed.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

my message has not been fixed. What can I do 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Go to chat and explain.  It took me about 2-3 days to get it fixed.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

what is chat

0 Likes

Jump to solution

When you need help you go to Shop Manager.  At the bottom of the page on the right is a dark circle with a cartoon talk bubble.  Click on that.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I want to send a follow up message asking a buyer to leave a review. How do I do this?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I think contacting a buyer after the transaction is complete is against Etsy's TOU. You shouldn't request feedbackafter the fact, Etsy already does that. Maybe include a note in the package or in your dispatch notification instead?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@CatbirdMoonCollage: "I want to send a follow up message asking a buyer to leave a review. How do I do this?" As mentioned by @HandmadeAt62 this might be considered by Etsy as an unsolicited non-transactional message (aka SPAM) and could get your messaging muted.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.