Local pick up docked my star seller chance

Jump to solution

I think there needs to be an accommodation for local pick up in the star seller program when you select that feature.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
9 Likes
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Local pick up docked my star seller chance

Jump to solution

Whether the delivery / pickup policy is right or wrong, Etsy has been clear about it. If you have not yet done so, you might want to read https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403058372503-How-to-Become-a-Star-Seller?segment=selling and https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000338067-How-to-Offer-Local-Pickup-or-Delivery?segment=s...

The latter link states:

Will local pickup orders be part of my evaluation for a Star Seller badge?

All physical listing orders must include a valid tracking number or a shipping label purchased on Etsy to be considered for a Star Seller badge. At this time, we’re unable to make exceptions for local pickup orders.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hello @BugFlowerArt,

We've double-checked the tracking number on the order that is affecting your Star Seller, and it appears that it can't also be tracked on the carrier's website. It is possible that the number being entered may not be the tracking number, or a slight error may have been made in entering the number. Please check the carrier and the tracking number match. If the carrier and tracking numbers do not match, this will count as an invalid tracking number. You can also check our help center article explaining how to add or edit a tracking number.

Thank you very much!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hello there,

As of the moment, tracking metrics don’t account for local pickup, shipping without tracking if not in a market with an exception, or in person delivery. Please note that all physical orders must include a valid tracking number or a shipping label purchased on Etsy to be counted positively towards your on time shipping & tracking. All shipping labels purchased on Etsy will count positively towards your score, even if they don't come with tracking

We know that local pick up is important to Sellers like yourself, and we’re currently working on an option for sellers to tag the order as a pickup so that this can count towards Star Seller moving forward. Seller feedback has been critical to this work, and we're so appreciative of your feedback. We’ll be sure to let you know once this improvement is ready. Etsy understands that Star Seller may not be viable for every shop. Star Seller is not a disciplinary program and sellers will not be penalized for low scores. Additionally, having the badge doesn't give sellers an edge over other sellers in search ranking.

On the other hand, as a reminder, prior to posting a thread in the Forums, we ask that you please check if you are not bumping an old thread that hasn't seen any activity in a few months (or years, even). If that is the case, and you still would like to share your thoughts and get the conversation going - whether about this or similar topics, we ask that you start your own thread instead of bumping an old one.

Reviving old threads can cause confusion for members reading, so always check the dates of the most recent replies before posting. You can find this information on the top-left corner of each message, just below the member's username and profile picture.

Having said that, we are closing this thread as it is indeed a bit older, and the information contained here may be outdated.

Thank you very much!

1 Like
28 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

As do many other sellers. Without a tracking number I have no idea how the seller could prove they delivered the item.

1 Like
LastCentury
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Well, there is the chance that the seller could leave a review for the item... and that would be proof to Etsy that the item was received but no, a happy reviewing customer is not good enough for them. I have a local customer who even posted an image with their review for a local pick up. 

0 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

Jump to solution

ugh, that ^^^ should have read: "...that the Buyer could leave a review for the item..."

0 Likes
thePaperFramer
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Local Pickup SNAFUs rank second in the most posted  Star Seller issues. Only Messaging failures get more posts here. We see several a week where the seller has not read the Star Seller policies and then comes here after they get dinged. Not only do you get dinged, you lose all Seller Protections. If you use local pickups you are rolling the dice.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I don't do it often but in this case it was a neighbor who ordered. It made no sense to mail it when they could walk a block and pick it up at my house.

1 Like
dorothydomingo
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@thePaperFramer 

If your local deliveries are to buyers you know, there is no dice rolling. Selling to friends, neighbors, coworkers of spouses, friends of your kids. The possibilities for local sales is endless.

I sold a piece from an Instagram post over the summer before I even had a chance to list it here to my daughter's friend. I invoiced her thru PayPal and she picked it up in person. I could have listed it here and added to my sales tally, but in addition to not having to take additional photos, there was that thought in the back of my head that Etsy would penalize me for a local pickup. So I didn't list it here.

I frequently sell work to my husband's colleagues during the holiday shopping season. They follow me on Instagram. Etsy is going to lose more transaction fees if I sell pieces shown on my IG account and they buy them fresh out of the kiln. I'm so confident about the transaction I take a check from them, and they get the work delivered by my hubby when he goes in to the office.

I can't be the only one who makes sales like this during the holidays. Etsy really should figure out a way for us to list/sell to our regular local customers. I missed out on Star Seller last Christmas because I had quite a few of those purchases. I haven't decided how I'm going to handle them this year, but it seems foolish for Etsy to lose those transaction fees because they don't trust me to handle my local customers responsibly.

5 Likes

Jump to solution

If a seller is willing to take the risk of a pickup going awry they should be allowed for. I’ve done oodles of local pickups and haven’t had a single issue. It’s annoying that this dings me in SS. I use a buyer opt in coupon that takes off the shipping so my pickups are all tagged as such. There are messages arranging a meet up.

After pickup, I usually follow up with a message saying “I’m glad you were able to pick up and save the shipping.” This usually triggers an acknowledgment from the customer. I feel this covers my butt well enough and like I said it’s never been an issue. 

It’s stupid Etsy won’t allow this when they claim to be promoting sustainability and localization to reduce carbon footprint. 

6 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

Jump to solution

A cheap & easy solution ... mail your customer the packing slip / a thank you note / s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g!  It costs virtually nothing (53-cents?) via Etsy Labels and it WILL give you a valid tracking number that WILL count towards SS.

0 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@TBQSC That provides zero seller protection. The buyer can say all they got was a receipt, not the item they paid for. They file a claim, include a picture of the envelope showing the tracking number and money is refunded. How will you explain your side in that claim?

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Whether the delivery / pickup policy is right or wrong, Etsy has been clear about it. If you have not yet done so, you might want to read https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403058372503-How-to-Become-a-Star-Seller?segment=selling and https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000338067-How-to-Offer-Local-Pickup-or-Delivery?segment=s...

The latter link states:

Will local pickup orders be part of my evaluation for a Star Seller badge?

All physical listing orders must include a valid tracking number or a shipping label purchased on Etsy to be considered for a Star Seller badge. At this time, we’re unable to make exceptions for local pickup orders.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@TBQSC Unfortunately the receipt option is only available to US sellers. We can't purchase lettermail postage on Etsy here in Canada.

0 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

Jump to solution

The receipt option is not available to anyone. US sellers may use it to game the system but it has zero seller protection.

0 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@TickleYourWitch Oh bummer ... I'm so sorry ... wishing you all the best in finding an happy solution!

1 Like

Jump to solution

I had a really appalling conversation with Etsy about this over chat. In it, the so-called customer service person told me that I should either pay for something I wasn't going to use (e.g. a note) or simply enter another tracking number in the space. I told her that I thought it was absurd to essentially tell me to commit fraud and she denied that was what she was doing. But really, in essence, it was what she was asking. It's one of those bizarre Etsy blind spots. There are things that I love about Etsy; this is most definitely not one.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

It does work to enter a number with the same amount of digits. But they’ve also told us doing so can make you lose your star seller forever. So not exactly a solution. So stupid. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

In my situation it was a neighbor who purchased from me. They only needed to walk a block or two and pick it up at my house. So it just seemed pointless to buy shipping labels, or mail it to them. I was not going to borrow the tracking number from my other order as it would be fraud.

Well lesson learned next time I'll take the listing off etsy and sell directly.

1 Like
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Open a second shop and put the listing there for your buyer. I have a second shop that I haven't been using for anything other than local pickups. It will never be a star seller but it doesn't matter. I get the sale, the buyer saves on shipping and Etsy gets its fees. Everybody wins.

1 Like
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

Jump to solution

I don't actually believe it's fraud to enter your own tracking number. They give you a choice of choosing "Other" as a shipping carrier. It turned out I was the "Other" when I walked the package over to a neighbor's house.  At the beginning of Star Seller, I was penalized once for not entering tracking and then I entered "Other" and my own tracking number for the second delivery. (Etsy may have changed accepting this since then.)

The next time I saw my neighbor, and she asked about more products, I told her to order from my website or me personally. I gave her a discount because I didn't have to pay Etsy fees.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@SmudgePlant  :  You are correct that it is not fraud to enter your own tracking number if it is legitimate, but Etsy says it will not count for Star Seller. "Other" is not a shipper that AfterShip (Etsy's third party vendor for tracking and tracking number validation) recognizes. The suggestion that @TheKitchenImp received from Etsy support would be fraud.

1 Like
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@BagmakerSupplyIf Etsy told her to enter "Other" and a tracking number it would not be fraud. Etsy might not be able to track it but they are the ones that give us the "Other" option.

If she is the "Other" then she gets to enter her own tracking number.

If they don't want us to have that option then they need to get rid of the "Other".

(I realize shipping this way may not count for Star Seller.)

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Just mark the listing as shipped through the system, make a bogus tracking number so you don’t get docked. Then tell the customer to disregard the shipping notification. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@SmudgePlant  :  I interpreted the suggestion TheKitchenImp received to be to enter a recognized shipper (like USPS) and put in a fake tracking number so that it would qualify as shipped with tracking. That is fraud and if the package is never scanned it will at some point revert to being considered shipped without tracking. "Other" is a legitimate option but as you said will not count for Star Seller.

2 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@LastCentury  In-person delivery provides zero seller protection … buyer could say they never received their order and seller could not prove it without providing a valid tracking #, which provides seller protection and preserves your SSR (OP’s complaint).

1 Like

Jump to solution

I'm still trying to recover my rating from this incident and one other, where I had tracking, but some reason etsy didn't count it. I don't know if it was because I copied it wrong or if etsy was expecting the same address as on the order, when my customer (family) had moved and preferred her new address.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.