AVintageTreasury
Community Member

Items Missing From Search Results

Since Tuesday of this week I have 25 'vintage Juliana brooches' that have been totally removed from search. My usual search terms no longer show those items and other sellers from around the world have verified this fact by also searching for them using various search phrases. If you are having similar issues add your voice to this post and maybe we can get ets y to resolve the issue

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/Items-Suddenly-Disappear-From-Search/m-p/126942532/...

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/Items-Suddenly-Disappear-From-Search/m-p/126941246/...

7 Likes
86 Replies
CindyLouDoesStats
Community Member

Re: Items Missing From Search Results

For anyone responding - please note: we already know her items show up in other searches; it is "vintage Juliana brooches" and "Juliana brooches" where 25 items are completely missing. Here is an example, filtered by location (although this happens without filters as well):

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=Juliana+brooches&ship_to=GB&locationQuery=2635167

The same thing has happened to the shop @ISTOPRINT  for the searches "resume template" and "professional resume template", even though his applicable items show up in other searches and in a search of his shop.

What we are seeing is fully relevant items being completely removed from certain types of searches, but not from others. This has been verified by several other sellers in different countries, so it is not explained by personalization, localization, indexing or general ranking rules.

This is not something we have seen before, other than with bugs.

7 Likes
theglitterfactory1
Community Member

This is why it’s best to stick to one thread. Opening duplicate threads is confusing. 

I hope all well Cindy! And if you’re saying it’s an issue, I believe it. I just think multiple threads is confusing people.

Just wanted to add, if OP or anyone wants a post moved to a different section, like “Bugs and Technical Issues” just click report and ask admin to move it.

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

@AVintageTreasury  I searched yesterday and today ("vintage juliana brooch"), hoping I would find your items.  I did not (searched through Pg. 9); same computer, Chrome.  Also, yesterday I did a search within the Shop; your 25 brooches do show.  But they are still not showing in Search. However, something interesting has changed today during my search.

Before, when I've searched "vintage juliana brooch", as we discussed, "vintage" was erased from the Search Bar.  And above the items shown was the tab "Vintage". Above that was, "All Categories > vintage juliana brooch" (and the amount of items).  Clicking on either of these options, I did not find your items.

Here is the thing which changed as of today.  Just now, I typed "vintage juliana brooch" into the Search Bar.  For the first time, it did NOT eliminate "vintage" from the Search Bar (as it did before).  Above the photos, the only text which appeared is: "All categories > vintage juliana brooch (4,518 results).  I went through Pg. 9 and did not find your items.

I don't understand why your items are not showing (and you said they were).  Definitely needs to be addressed.  

Admin, this is concerning.  Every momement items are not visible lessens the chance of them being sold.  There's a problem here; please fix it.
Thank You.

CindyLou also described the same issue above, which Shop ISTOPRINT is having.

2 Likes
AVintageTreasury
Community Member

@ChillwolfArt @If I use ‘vintage Juliana brooch’ non of the 25 brooches show up but if I use ‘Delizza & Elster Juliana Brooch’ every one of them shows up. It’s almost as if Etsy are removing the most popular search terms from items in certain shops deliberately making them harder to find but I have no idea why they would do this. It really doesn’t make any sense, but then all of Etsy’s recent changes make no sense either.

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

@AVintageTreasury  That is interesting; I don't understand the behavior of it either.  Today, when "Vintage" was NOT deleted from my Search Query (in the Search Bar) for the first time, I thought there may be a chance I would see your items.

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

@AVintageTreasury  For the life of me, I don't understand why my recent post was removed and marked as Spam.  I searched again for your items, but reported that different actions appeared in the Search Bar than before.  How that is considered spam is beyond me.  I also questioned it.

1 Like
AVintageTreasury
Community Member

@ChillwolfArt I don't understand it either. Other sellers in the forums have said in other posts that they think etsy plays with our shops visibility, rotating them between visible and invisible I don't think they do that but I am starting to believe that they do remove items, for whatever reason, from certain searches for a period of time before reinstating them. 

Let's face it, unless we all searched for every item that we've got listed in our shops we would never know that it was happening

0 Likes

Hi there! That was an automated spam management tool making an error; I've restored your post!

1 Like
DaysofYoreTreasures
Community Member

@RobWhite 

Dear Rob

Several days ago @ISTOPRINT  also started a new post about his missing items in Bugs & Technical Issues and I responded. Now it looks like the entire post has disappeared. It doesn’t show up in my profile activity at all. Can you help, please?

Here is a link to his original post in Managing Your Shop.
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/Listings-sharply-disappeared-from-search-results/m-...

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

@RobWhite  Thank You, Rob.  I feel better knowing it was an automated error.

Have a great weekend! 

0 Likes
AVintageTreasury
Community Member

@RobWhite It’s great that you sorted out @ChillwolfArt removed post issue, but perhaps you could have a look at the issue being discussed here and sort that out. I have 25 items that are missing from most search results and I’m not the only 1. The shop ‘Istoprint’ also has the same problem. And there are probably others who don’t realise they have a problem.

2 Likes
DaysofYoreTreasures
Community Member

I have noticed a discrepancy here in Australia between the Etsy market page & Etsy search for the shop @AVintageTreasury 

I searched for Juliana Brooch Etsy on Google, then clicked on the market page. There were 2,934 results. I searched for the shop name AVintageTreasury and found one item on page 1, one on page 2 & one on page 3.
https://www.etsy.com/au/market/juliana_brooch

Then I searched for Juliana Brooch from the Etsy home page. There were 2,909 results. I filtered for Shop location United Kingdom then searched for the shop name AVintageTreasury. There were no hits.
https://www.etsy.com/au/search?q=juliana%20brooch

When I search for Juliana Brooch within the shop AVintageTreasury there are 25 results. That matches the difference between the Market page and Etsy search results.
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/AVintageTreasury?search_query=juliana+brooch

5 Likes
AVintageTreasury
Community Member

@DaysofYoreTreasures It’s been like this for a week now. In the past I used ‘vintage Juliana brooch’ as my search and they’ve always shown up but now the only search I can find them in is if I use ‘Delizza & Elster Juliana Brooch’ which is very specific and I’m not sure many people would actually use that as a search.

I tried phoning Etsy support and the guy I spoke to said the couldn’t help me because he was in America and he was going to get a ‘senior’ colleague to email me and explain how search works. Really!!! That was on Thursday morning and I’m still waiting for the email. About as much use as a chocolate oven.

2 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

@AVintageTreasury  Just now I typed what you did in Search ("delizza & elster juliana brooch"; I did not add "vintage" before these words.  When I clicked onto results, in the Left Column, I chose the filter for Vintage.  There were only two pages of results, but none of those were your items   
*(same computer, Chrome)   So although YOU can find them with this Search, I can't.

Also, I agree re: potential buyers using that term in the Search Bar.  Some may (perhaps very few), but certainly not as much as "Vintage Juliana Brooch".  And your items did appear under that search phrasse until recently (when you found they no longer did).
When I was typing "delizza & elster juliana brooch", it never auto filled for me (as it does when you begin typing a search which has been automated in the Search Bar).  So I coulldn't begin typing this phrase, then select it in full in a drop down menu for auto select; I typed the entire thing.  But I'm not seeing your items.  

Sorry; wish this could be resolved for you and for Shop ISTOPRINT; and anyone else it is happening to.

0 Likes
AVintageTreasury
Community Member

@ChillwolfArt I didn’t choose the vintage filter after putting ‘delizza & elster Juliana Brooch’ into the search bar, I just hit enter and they all showed up. But if I’m the only 1 they’re showing up for then it’s worse than I thought. And trying to get help or an answer from Etsy is like wading through treacle. Bl**dy hard work.

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

@AVintageTreasury  I'll try again (delizza & elster juliana brooch).  This time I won't select "Vintage" from the Filter on the Left. 
(Be back with my findings; I'll edit this post and put my findings in).

Back with much better results (same computer).  Searched "delizza & elster juliana brooch"; this time I did NOT select "Vintage" from the filter.  Above the photos, it said: "All categories 1, 672 results."  I searched through Pg. 7.

Pg. 1 (4 of your items);  Pgs. 2 through 7 (1 of your items on each page)

0 Likes
AVintageTreasury
Community Member

@ChillwolfArt I’m happy that they’re showing up somewhere but it’s such a narrow search I doubt many potential buyers will find them. 

The etsy moderator Rob must have seen what the problem was when he read your post about a previous post being labelled as spam so you would think he’d have a proper look at this and the other thread and pass it on to the techs.

But it just seems like they can’t be bothered fixing anything that takes a bit of effort and isn’t a quick fix.

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

@AVintageTreasury   I do hope it is being looked into and  workied on by the tech team.  I'm not knowedgeable with Vintage, but yes; as a buyer I would search for Vintage Juliana Brooch (rather than add Delizza & Elster before my phrase).  And I can't understand why you DID see your items with that phrase, but they're suddenly gone.

Another puzzlement for me was, selecting Vintage in the Filter only gave me two pages of results (as I reported).  Whereas by not selecting Vintage (as you did), gave me many results and I found your items (which is good).  But yes, as a buyer, I don't know that I would drill down that specifically.

0 Likes
AVintageTreasury
Community Member

@ChillwolfArt It almost looks like they’ve been messing with search again and by doing so have sc***ed things up like they always do. 

This is not the only problem I’m struggling to get sorted at the present time. In my shop on the Etsy app I have numerous duplicated listings and every duplicate has taken the place of another item. So I’m paying listing fees on items that only show up with a very narrow search and on items that aren’t showing up on the Etsy app. 

Apparently Etsy are aware of the duplicated listings so we’ll see how long it takes them to sort that one out.

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Community Member

@AVintageTreasury   Oh boy; I didn't know about duplicated listings.  

1 Like
AVintageTreasury
Community Member

@ChillwolfArt I’ve been trying to get that sorted since April and still not solved. It looks like I have a huge black cloud hanging over my shop at the moment. I wish Etsy would spend more time finding solutions for the site issues they have instead of continuously messing with things that were fine as they were. In fact it wouldn’t surprise me if all of these constant changes and tests are the cause of most of the issues.

2 Likes
FeltAppStudio
Community Member

I'm an Italian seller. I don't know if this is relevant : I searched for Juliana Brooch from the Etsy home page. There were 2623 results, not 2,909 like DaysofYoreTreasures from Australia. Why is there this discrepancy? Then I filtered for Shop location United Kingdom , 56 results but no items of  AVintageTreasury

0 Likes
AVintageTreasury
Community Member

@FeltAppStudio Thank you for adding your search results to this post. If this thread gets long enough perhaps Etsy will do something about it. I wonder how many other sellers this is happening to but they don’t realise it because they don’t check their own listings.

1 Like
AVintageTreasury
Community Member

I am so fed up of this the Juliana brooches that were not visible using my ‘vintage Juliana brooch’ are now no longer showing up using ‘delizza & elster Juliana brooch’ so they are totally invisible unless someone visits my shop. 

And on top of that Ive now found that the same is happening with my pieces of Kenneth Jay Lane jewellery. If I type Kenneth Jay Lane necklace into the search bar they aren’t there but if I use ‘ Kenneth Jay Lane Pearl Necklace’ they are. The same with the earrings.

I’m not surprised my sales are down when no one can find my items. So tell me Etsy WHAT AM I PAYING YOU FOR?????

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.