Invalid policy violation listing removal

Jump to solution

Hello, we received a notification that Etsy had deactivated one of our most popular listings because it had somehow triggered a policy violation.
The listing was our custom engraved family crest decanter set, this listing does not violate any of Etsy's policies. We engrave the family crest design ourselves and we only use our own heraldic artwork for each order.

Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
4 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BetseysBeauties
Conversation Maker

Re: Invalid policy violation listing removal

Jump to solution

I'm sorry this happened. I am WAY less than an expert here, but can you request a review by someone at Etsy? Are you able to reply to the email or click on a link to get chat/email reponse? Were you using any words in your titles or tags that might have triggered a bot? 

Hoping someone with more expertise will see this and try to help.

View solution in original post

2 Likes
35 Replies
BetseysBeauties
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I'm sorry this happened. I am WAY less than an expert here, but can you request a review by someone at Etsy? Are you able to reply to the email or click on a link to get chat/email reponse? Were you using any words in your titles or tags that might have triggered a bot? 

Hoping someone with more expertise will see this and try to help.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Yes, we contacted Etsy but they said it would be 3 to 5 days minimum before someone could look at it.

1 Like

Jump to solution

How do you get a chat on Etsy?

1 Like

Jump to solution

I just had a journal taken down. I have NO IDEA why. They sent me the list of policy violations, which has nothing to do with my journal. The concerning thing is they add, if this continues your shop can be suspended.  I'm afraid to list anything new for fear another capricious decision could remove the entire shop.

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

Probably a tag you used. Some type of alcohol?

2 Likes

Jump to solution

That's a really good idea, thanks!

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Jump to solution

I wonder if one of the crest names is also a brand name that has triggered an auto (bot) deactivation. Do you have a list of the names in your listing (or in a photo)?

ETA I just was your other decanter listings and see there's no list of names.

What are the title and tags? Maybe there's something in that?

Do you sell on other platforms?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I had a vintage book deactivated by Etsy a few days ago. I'm 100% sure it doesn't violate any policies. I even checked for any keywords I know of that will trigger bot deactivation. I never got an email from Etsy, so I'm at a loss as to what the issue is. I messaged Etsy, got an automate response, and am now just waiting back for a person.

They have been rolling out new features and last weeks there were a lot of issues with the listing manager, so I'm hoping it's just some bugs and not real issues with our listings.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I just had them deactivate a stovetop coffee pot/percolator that I was trying to list.  Not sure how a coffee pot goes against policy.  They have not sent me an email explaining why.  Opening a ticket for support and then waiting weeks for a reply is not making me happy.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

No email from Etsy usually mean bots picked it up. You just have to wait for a person to review it, or you can open a support ticket.

But make sure the percolator isn't one of the recalled Corningware ones. If so, you'd be better off deleting it now.

4 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@CassandrasNotebook I bet that's it. I think they deactivate all Corningware listings until they can review it manually.

0 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@SuperiorFireLights  Here is a link to initiate chat or email.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I feel your pain. I have had several best sellers of flower seeds taken down. I sell Delphinium Giant Pacific flower seeds, clearly NOT on the list of Toxic plants they sent along with it. They will not respond with three emails explaining. Etsy is now letting a computer run the entire business without any care of what they are doing to the small sellers. 

5 Likes

Jump to solution

@GrandmaSeedsandGifts   

Did you use Contact us?  Did you recieve an email back?  If so reply to that email that you  have not received an answer.  Explain again that the seeds you are selling are not related to anything on the toxic plant list nor is the flower you mentioned here endangered.

IF you received no reply back, Etsy may not have gotten your emails.  Or with Etsy having many shops to deal with it may take time to respond if you recently sent.  I understand the time frame is now 3 weeks for items to be reviewed. 

I notice you are in California.  Are you not required to have filled out the seed seller application?  

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@GrandmaSeedsandGifts if you're from CA they have extra laws about licensing for seed sellers. Google to read more. Etsy has been cracking down on seed and plant sellers especially international sellers and ones from states with restrictions. 

1 Like
decotini
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution

Self deleted, after I posted I realized I was responding to a post in an old thread.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Me, too.  A custom pet portrait oil painting that I relisted. It violates nothing.  

No use trying to figure out why they did it, it's obviously a mistake, since it's happening often the past month to a lot of people.  Just contact etsy support and wait...

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I think this round of bot sprees has to do with animals. Other shops have had animal related things like tees taken down. I had a vintage book about animals taken down. I noticed in the policies there's a new section about cat and dog pelts, so there's probably just a sweep going on to cover the new stuff they added.

0 Likes
CuriousityShop
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Cat & dog pelts are usually from China.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

As others said, check tags as well as any words in the title. I had that happen when I used the word 'tusk.'  It was just teeth from domestic pigs though, as described in the listing, hardly anything endangered, but they refused to revalidate the listing, the person I talked to just hinted hard that 'tusk' was the problem so I had to redo the entire listing, of course leaving out that word.  Another time I had a listing deactivated that was rainbow colored large round magnets.  Somehow they got it in their heads that it was a 'weapon' and would not back down on that listing either.   This one was completely beyond my comprehension, there is no record or hint anywhere of any such kind of weapon, they are no such thing!  No matter how hard you try, you will sometimes get in trouble for a listing for some strange reason it seems.  

0 Likes

Jump to solution

There is nothing wrong with any my words on any listing. Checked all including the "tags" and there is nothing illegal or toxic. They sent me the list. I have responded back a few times on same email and nothing. Are they trying to get rid of some of the successful sellers???

1 Like

Jump to solution

OP, do your family crests depict swords, axes, or any other weapons? The Etsy bots can detect images and weapons are not allowed on Etsy. You may have to select different crests with non-violent content. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Etsy will not respond and closed out some requests that have never been answered. Now today many more of my seeds are not gone. Taken off for no reason at all. Some say "not available in your area" which is just as crazy. BAsically Etsy does not help sellers and I cannot answer JDTotesnDolls there is no link or place to do it. I am almost ready to give up here for so much dishonesty from ETsy. I have a successful store and they make a ton of money on me, yet no help??? 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Happened to 2 of my listings, all made in the ‘90’s.  Just another over the seas 3rd party company that English isn’t their primary language.  Just relist it again.  

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.