The collapse of Silicon Valley Bank today is awful news.  I wonder what this means for Etsy sellers and funds.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/after-silicon-valley-bank-fails-tech-startups-race-to-meet-payroll-4ebd9c5c

Re: Etsy's bank fails... what next?

Jump to solution

There's an auction going on for SVB; final bids are due today.

We may know later tonight if there's a buyer, or there may be no deal.

(per Bloomberg News)

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes

Jump to solution

The article @cindylouwho2 shared above says the Feds were hoping to get a buyer by 2pm Eastern.  So we could hear anytime if there is something to report.  I would think certainly by tonight.  They would like to report something before the Asian markets open (8pm Eastern).

2 Likes

Jump to solution

For those of you closing shop in fear of not being able to offer refunds to customers that is not an issue. yesterday I had to offer five refunds due to our River flooding here in California. Unfortunately we had to be evacuated and don't know when we'll be able to return. Fortunately I had money in my Etsy bank account and refunds went straight through.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

@sweettreatssupplies 

And even if you did not have enough in your payment account the refunds would have been charged to your CC on file.

I have no idea how the rumor got gong that one could not refund. Refunds have nothing to do with your payment being sent to your bank.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

And I was worried I wasn't getting views ad tags coming up missing o_O  Seems this takes all of it.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

SVB was a high-risk bank. Etsy should not have been doing business with it. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

All deposits at Silicon Valley Bank will be available tomorrow: https://wapo.st/3T8mxea (gift link; no paywall)

10 Likes

Jump to solution

I have seen comments from European sellers that they got deposits today which is a day earlier than normal. I am shipping all the orders I can and if I get paid a little late, it's all good. 

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Just heard on the news that ALL Depositors will be made "Whole" guaranteed by the Feds.  Including those over the $250,000 threshold.

5 Likes

Jump to solution

That is not true! Sorry Do you think that billions are going to surface out of thin air?

1 Like
MissouriCrossing
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

They are also saying no tax payer funds will be used.  So yeah where is the money coming from? Thin air? 

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

POD?  lol!

1 Like

Jump to solution

Not sure where the funds are coming from.  All I know is what I heard on the News and what the President said this morning.....so yeah, it IS true.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I just read this:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Silicon Valley Bank customers will have access to their deposits starting on Monday, U.S. officials said on Sunday.

"Depositors will have access to all of their money starting Monday, March 13," the U.S. Treasury, Federal Reserve and Federal Deposit Insurance Corp said in a statement. "No losses associated with the resolution of Silicon Valley Bank will be borne by the taxpayer," the statement said.

(Reporting by Reuters; Editing by Leslie Adler)

REUTERS - 33 MINUTES AGO

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1635051845935681537

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Yes they are being bailed out. All depositors will be made whole from a banking entity the feds created.  And where else would they be getting the money if not from taxpayers? Welcome to 2008 again!

4 Likes

Jump to solution

Losses will be borne by shareholders and bondholders

2 Likes
MyOrganisedHome
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I, in common with most I suspect, had never heard of this bank before its collapse despite the fact they have a presence in the UK. It appears that the UK subsidiary is heavily involved in both tech and life sciences. Currently the government is looking into providing an emergency fund for affected businesses and considering a bailout or buyout by one of our large banks.

The Bank of England subsequently ordered its UK subsidiary into insolvency on Friday night, putting firms at risk of losing almost all their cash. Only £85,000 of clients’ deposits will be protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, or £170,000 for joint accounts, meaning many of SVB UK’s 3,500 customers will be facing major losses without government intervention.” The Guardian 12 March 2023.

As UK/EU deposits appear unaffected by the collapse of SVB it seems likely that Etsy Ireland and UK uses another bank to process transactions outside the US. I hope so, because otherwise they would be exposed to the loss of one bank on two fronts.

What surprises me is that SVB appears to have a clause which states that if the bank collapses UK deposits are at the bottom of the list for repayment in the event of asset liquidation, behind the uninsured deposits in the US. This would leave UK depositors with only the £85,000 (approx $105,000) guaranteed by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

I don’t understand the nuances of this (any legal financial professionals here with time on their hands??), whether that clause in SVB’s info could be overridden by a buyout of the UK arm, but if it is as stated then that could be very damaging and some firms may not recover.

If it is enforceable then I would hope that all businesses look closely at the fine print of whatever financial institution they bank with, particularly if it is a subsidiary of a foreign-owned one, and take whatever action is necessary to lessen their exposure to uninsured losses. The world banks globally now, a problem anywhere is a problem everywhere.

Financial Services Compensation Scheme; Depositor Preference

It is important to note that if SVB were to go into liquidation, deposits maintained in the UK Branch would not have the benefit of deposit insurance of the US Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. In addition, UK Branch deposits would not have the same preferred status over non-deposit creditors as do deposits payable in the US. This means that depositors of the UK Branch would receive payment from the liquidated SVB assets only after all uninsured US deposits were fully paid. In that case, You would be an unsecured creditor of SVB and would be repaid only to the extent that assets remain available after repaying all other secured creditors. SVB is covered by the UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). The FSCS can pay compensation to depositors if SVB is unable to meet its financial obligations. Most individual and small business depositors are covered by the FSCS.

In respect of deposits, an eligible depositor is entitled to claim up to £85,000.”

SVB Family Online

1 Like
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Unfortunately a second US bank failed today. The 3rd largest bank failure. Yellen and Powell now say all account holders in the 2 banks will be made whole.

And the Canadian regulator took control of SVBs Canadian arm today.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

@EightMileVintage 

Did your information tell who this 2nd bank was perchance?

0 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@ThePurplePuppy  Signature Bank. It's not my info, it's all over the news.

1 Like

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution

@ThePurplePuppy Signature Bank in NY

0 Likes
MrsDsHandKnits
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

"The collapse of Signature marks the third bank failure within a week. Silvergate, a California-based bank that made loans to cryptocurrency companies, announced last Wednesday that it would cease operations and liquidate its assets."

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@EightMileVintage, etal

Thank you

I don't have access to the news, my husband is watching football! (That new weird franchise)

1 Like

Jump to solution

Yellen said the other day that she is watching a "few" banks.

(edited to remove duplicate info about Signature Bank)

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.