The collapse of Silicon Valley Bank today is awful news.  I wonder what this means for Etsy sellers and funds.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/after-silicon-valley-bank-fails-tech-startups-race-to-meet-payroll-4ebd9c5c

Re: Etsy's bank fails... what next?

Jump to solution

I keep reading that only 250K is covered by the FDIC. Etsy doesn't care about that, they deal with millions and millions of dollars, and they have a trail of financial lawyers who know how to handle their money. Do you really think they would sink all of their money into one bank? They are not going to be hurt by this banks failures. It's a blip though that should wake us up. Small regional banks are the ones that will fail first if our economy goes toes up. It's all a big circle. The present administration has been spending money like a crazy gambler, they put a crimp in the energy sector which makes all of our prices raise, not just at the gas pumps and home heating. Interest rates are going to go up at least a couple more times. The stock market is up up, then down down. When you mix all of this together, things don't go smoothly like they should and this bank failure is an example of what happens when the economy is messed with in such a drastic way in such a short time period. The only thing we should worry about right now is if people make a run on their banks tomorrow morning and take their money out, which would hurt the regional banks. And when I read in here that people are closing their shops because of this, I'm sure there will be some sort of run on banks tomorrow. I'd be panicking more about the rising costs, the fact that we could very easily slip into a recession, and it depends on how high interest rates go, but every time they raise even a quarter percent, jobs are lost. And, now is not the time to buy a new house, so this could very well affect the housing market...again. Until our government stops spending money, we will continually be up and down with threats of recession looming in the future. Etsy has a lot of problems, but getting enough money to pay their sellers isn't one of them. At least right now it isn't. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
6 Likes

Jump to solution

yes Castaway;  You are seeing the picture as I am.  I believe and hope all will be calm tomorrow and cooler heads will prevail.

If not, our debt free lifestyle will be our salvation.  Thank God for my little farm and a large seed bank if all goes south!

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@WoodSignatureDesigns 

It's a big jump from a bank failure to needing to grow our own food. This sort of hyperbole is not helpful. 

8 Likes

Jump to solution

Do you notice what's going on around you? I'd love to live a more self-sufficient life. 

4 Likes

Jump to solution

@TickleYourWitch 

Surely you know that a bank failure isn’t all that’s going on in the world? Inflation, recession, layoffs, various food shortages, vegetable rationing in the UK, train derailments leaking chemicals into the soil and water just to name a few. Two bank failures in the last week are just part of larger issues we are facing. Not a big leap to see how being less reliant on the system could be beneficial. 

4 Likes

Jump to solution

They say "SOME" sellers will be notified their payments will be delayed. I expect "SOME" means those who were expecting money that hadn't been transferred to their bank yet.  I get "paid" by Etsy once a month and I received notification March 5 that money was on it's way (and it made it).

I anticipate any future sales will be delayed as well, unless Etsy notifies us otherwise so I deactivated all of my items for now. Couldn't be bothered to deal with customer returns if I don't receive the money in the first place.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@ScrappinRabbit 

Thanks for editing your post.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Since you edited your post again:

This statement (and those numbers) have nothing to do with Etsy.

"The company said it had accounts amounting to $55 million on deposit at the bank, and bank accounts outside of SVB amounting to 6.7 million Canadian dollars ($4.8 million). It said it would use that cash to support continuing operations."

They are about the Canadian company, AcuityAds Holdings. 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/acuityads-holdings-requests-stock-trading-halt-in-connection-to-si...

3 Likes

Jump to solution

That's why I corrected and said "Incorret statement"

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@ScrappinRabbit 

I agree, we don't want people getting confused or spreading misinformation.

There's enough concern about what will happen with payouts this week.

4 Likes

Jump to solution

0 Likes

Jump to solution

This article made more sense than some I've read today. 

Why Did Silicon Valley Bank Collapse? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

1 Like
axecreative
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I am worried about filling the orders. Because the timing of them worrys me a little. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Fulfilling any order is a risk these days….USPS tracking not integrating with Etsy leading to lost star seller tracking percentages, possible payment reserves and/or forced suspension/vacation. Missed delivery dates that result in losing the product and the money through Etsy forced refunds (PPP). Add to that the fact that we may not be paid for orders (or have payment significantly delayed) because of the SVB debacle and selling on Etsy has become one big crap shoot.

7 Likes
59BeadsforMary
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Wait until Monday. I am going to put my shop on vacation mode for a bit though. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

@59BeadsforMary 

You've "heard about other bank failures being kept out of the news"? 

And where did you hear that? I'm sure others would love to tap into your pipeline to the "truth."

Do we need a tinfoil hat to tune in? 

10 Likes

Jump to solution

@TickleYourWitch 

You don't need a tin foil at to know that alot of what is happening right now is not on main stream media news outlets.

Ohio multi train disasters are not being covered like they should... the idea of banks closing isn't new, but huge banks is a problem.

If people panic and does  a bank run then all banks will close temporarily for who knows how long.  This could become serious, unless people stay calm and let things work out we should be fine.

3 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_United_States_bank_failures

... but they've all been in the news, to one extent or another. 

Any day now, we'll all be getting back to barter and trade, lol!  That's not in the news either, I just made that up.

0 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@59BeadsforMary  - Yes, they were FDIC insured. Where did you get that info from?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Here's an update on how the US gov't is considering protecting all deposits at SVB, not just the insured ones (Washington Post gift article, so no paywall): https://wapo.st/3T8mxea

"Federal authorities are seriously considering safeguarding all uninsured deposits at Silicon Valley Bank, weighing an extraordinary intervention to prevent what they fear would be a panic in the U.S. financial system, according to three people with knowledge of the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private deliberations."

7 Likes
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I guess there has been some backtracking then, as early this morning I read a statement by Yellen that there would be no Federal bailout of SVB.

Ah, she's still saying that, but they want to help protect the depositors.

Yellen says Silicon Valley Bank won’t receive bailout after collapse (msn.com)

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Situations like this can change from minute to minute.  That is one of the reasons it is useless for people to get worked up about it.  Whatever information they have is likely already out-of-date by the time they get it, and the true status of the negotiations at that moment still hasn't hit the public.

7 Likes

Jump to solution

@leinweberstudio 

There likely won't be a bailout.  That is just discussion of all options. 

These things are usually dealt with by bringing in another bank to buy out the troubled one.  Reading through the article, it sounds like most don't see this as posing any real threat to the banking system.  They are just looking for ways to calm the public.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Looks like they announcedthey will be making all deposits whole.  It also looks to be the case with Signature Bank that went under today.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/regulators-seize-signature-bank-in-third-largest-us-bank-failure-2314...

This briefly discusses how they do that. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.