The collapse of Silicon Valley Bank today is awful news.  I wonder what this means for Etsy sellers and funds.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/after-silicon-valley-bank-fails-tech-startups-race-to-meet-payroll-4ebd9c5c

Re: Etsy's bank fails... what next?

Jump to solution

what about their German Branch?

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
barkrock
Crafty Poster

Jump to solution

FWIW, Shopify is also a SVB customer.

Or at least the news sayeth so.

4 Likes
NixAeterna
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@barkrock - Ah, OK... thanks for pointing that out.

@CryzalisDesigns  - Not sure what the position is with the German branch.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Heading that way now. 

0 Likes
EnergyPeace
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@barkrock but Shopify is Canadian and don't hold it all in California. 

@NixAeterna I wouldn't worry at all about Shopify. They are Canadian and only had small holdings in that bank as far as I know. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

An article on THE HILL website says:

"Silicon Valley Bank’s clients included brands such as Shopify, ZipRecruiter, Pinterest and venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz, among others."

And according to wikipedia, their entry on Silicon Valley Bank says:

"The bank operated from 29 offices in the United States and from offices in India, the United Kingdom, Israel, Canada, China, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Denmark, and Sweden."

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Shopify is with SB too

0 Likes

Jump to solution

FDIC only insures $250K per business. This is scary as crap. Basically, this means Etsy is broke. Is Etsy going to rebound from this? The total lack of Etsy communicating with us means I have that kick in the rear I needed to open up a website elsewhere. Even the email didn't take the time or give us the respect to address us by name. I got "Hi there" like this is just another walk in the park. So much BS. 

5 Likes

Jump to solution

I think the effect will depend on if Etsy does all their banking with this company or only 10% or 20% for instance. If they do all their banking with this bank I would expect stocks crashing quickly. There is so much we don't know yet. 

4 Likes

Jump to solution

I doubt Etsy is Broke, they will have accounts all around the word not just in the United States or just in one bank. 

It just goes to show that 24hrs is enough to bring something down, no matter how large they are.

For those who have their shop in one place, it might be advantage to not keep all your eggs in one basket.

7 Likes

Jump to solution

etsy has a lot of finance in Ireland, due to the tax breaks there,

if they have all their money, in 1 USA bank, in $, they would have been bust long before now

they will have hedge funds in the Netherlands, and all sorts of other stuff

Even I have over 20 different places I keep my money and investments

.... they may have an uncomfortable time re-aligning everything, and things might be delayed a bit - a bit like the cyber attack on Royal mail - they will need to find alternatives, 
however, I would be really stumped for words (really) if they went bust over this

10 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@MailBling  Etsy is not broke.  They have  cash reserves and a 200 million line of credit, plus daily cash flow.  All that together makes Etsy able to weather this.  Here is an article about SVB and Etsy:

https://www.eseller365.com/etsy-delays-seller-payouts-silicon-valley-bank/?fbclid=IwAR22ODntY0J6koTx...

Etsy Exposure to Silicon Valley Bank

Late in the afternoon, Etsy sellers on online forums began complaining that their scheduled payout for Friday, March 10 had been automatically delayed until Monday. Some people began to speculate that Etsy may be using SVB and that this massive delay was connected to the bank’s failure.

Now, Etsy issued an email to sellers confirming the reason their scheduled deposit was delayed due to “recent developments regarding Silicon Valley Bank, who Etsy uses to facilitate disbursement to some sellers.”

Etsy further said, “We are working with our other payment partners to issue your deposit as soon as possible.”

The company didn’t provide any further details on how large its exposure is to SVB. However, unlike VC backed startups and smaller tech firms that may have most of their funds in one bank, Etsy should have the financial resources to make sellers whole relatively quickly.

While affected sellers their payout information says March 13 now, the email from Etsy doesn’t offer that specific date. Sellers should expect that payouts could be delayed a little further, depending on how quickly Etsy can arrange for an alternative distribution solution.

For those worried about Etsy’s financial situation, let’s take a brief look at their last financial filings(Form 10-K).

At the end of 2022, the company had $1.2 billion in cash, cash equivalents, and short- and long-term investments. Of that, $921 million was in cash and cash equivalents.

In addition, Etsy has a revolving credit facility (credit line) of $200 million, which was still available in full at the end of the year. In other words, they weren’t using any of it.

Obviously, without knowing the exact exposure the company has to SVB, we believe Etsy should have enough financial resources to pay sellers. It finished the year off better than many of its peers.

Another good sign for sellers is that the company’s stock price has remained stable in after hours trading, further indicating that the “smart money” on Wall Street is not concerned as well.

8 Likes
EnergyPeace
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@bradgoodell you keep mentioning the 200 million line of credit. 

For one, i doubt they would use it to pay sellers. If they needed to use it, it most likely would be to keep Etsy running. 

Secondly, since you mentioned it several times now, do you know where this line of credit was/is held? It wasn't with that bank? You know this for a fact? 

I really think Etsy should be sharing news with us. They could easily let us know if they only held minimal funds in that bank ad reassure us that it won't affect us more than a few days if that is the truth. Staying silent isn't helpful. 

4 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@EnergyPeace That article I quoted has a link to Etsy's financial filings if you want more information.  

3 Likes
EnergyPeace
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@bradgoodell I don't see that information in there. It merely says they had that at the end of the year and it was unused. Doesn't state *where* it was held and the information is several months old by now anyway. Maybe I missed it?

0 Likes
59BeadsforMary
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

0 Likes

Jump to solution

My funds are scheduled for deposit this Monday.  Waiting to see if it happens.  

5 Likes

Jump to solution

Pure speculation on my part but I would guess the impact will be different regionally. I would assume (again, pure guess) that it would be cheaper for ETSY to have multiple banks/payment processors and transact in the region you are transacting. European sellers paid from Euro bank, UK from UK etc etc. So I wonder if this may be more of a US Seller issue? We will soon find out!!

1 Like

Jump to solution

I did wonder if it would affect sellers in different countries differently. I believe all non US sellers pay there bills to and get paid by etsy Ireland not Etsy US as you say they use several payment processors and I would think several banks. I have a feeling the forums will be busy on Monday.  

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@SmallthingsbyAmanda 

I am in the UK

quite often my payment comes from the Netherlands,

sometime it comes from Ireland,

they switch around

3 Likes
EnergyPeace
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Mine were scheduled on Friday and then I got a notice "sorry there is a delay". 

I expect many more being unhappy on Monday since many sellers have Monday deposits only. I don't think they can fix the issue over the weekend so I personally don't believe there will be a deposit on Monday. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

Greed.

Etsy never had to break the US constitution and grab sellers money when they used paypal years ago.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I wonder what our options would have been if we were not forced to use their own Etsy Payments and could use PayPal like we could before...

7 Likes
yourgiftshoppe
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Yep exactly! I thought of that too.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I'm not going to tar & feather Etsy over something that is not under their control.

the bank sounded well capitalized, but something/someone triggered a run. And anytime anyone wants to pull a lot of money out fast, it can be tricky. So, I'd say a big gun wanted out, and the bank didn't have enough ready capital to fund that.

word got out...etc.

JMO.

A company CAN have more than 1 account and be covered by the 250k limit. In fact, people have more than 1 account for that very reason. I know folks who do. Each of their accounts is covered by the insurance. Was some money unprotected? I don't know, clearly. But given that I'd expect an international company to have banking operations in...more than 1 country, and the laws vary per country...I'd expect some exposure to this.

this is not Etsy's fault. So the few folks who have been bashing Etsy over it (cause we don't know if my speculation is right or even who/what did this)...please go have a cuppa. Relax.

this also goes back to my opinion that is you are severely undercapitalized, then you should reconsider business. Stuff happens. If not getting a deposit in a few weeks (should that happen) would cause you extreme hardship, re-evaluate, please.

no, it won't be fun. Sure, if I don't get mine on Monday, I'll be miffed, but honestly...I keep a balance in my account always, and I"ll be okay. I do expect to be paid eventually. I also didn't get the letter...so not sure why some did and some did not. Maybe only those who wanted daily deposits, and Etsy figuring that they needed a few days to sort the mess out.

well, I should think they would.

people also may not pay much attention to history. The entire reason that the banking 250k insurance thing started was that banks paid hard & fast with people's money and the Great Depression, and the Savings & Loan debacle (which took all of my grandmother's money as she invested in it, thinking she had coverage and lost...everything. And this in the mid 1960's...)

always put money back for a rainy day. Please.

11 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.