I have a buyer who is trying to buy my painting for $2400 he has done everything on his end he put in his credit card information and his address etc. he’s having no luck I have the painting I have emailed him said that I will try to clear this matter up with Etsy my account is paid up to date so please help me with this transaction thank you 

TBQSC
Community Maker

Re: Complication of selling item to buyer

He probably did not want to purchase on eBay because he knows eBay has much better scam detection / scam protection than Etsy has!  He would be caught in an instant on eBay!  Don't do it!!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
8 Likes

I was thinking the same exact thing. 
eBay would have never let those messages from the buyer (scammer) get sent.

And the "etsy credit score" is BS.
There's no such thing.

ETA: @TopHatCollectibles  More than likely this is a scam to take the purchase OFF of Etsy or try to convince you they bought it BUT now you need to verify your bank/cc so you can get paid. These scammers will send you a link to login to a FAKE Etsy site so they can steal all of your money. 

3 Likes

There is a 99.9% chance this is a scam. 

It is unusual to sell such a high dollar valued item first. Most people would want to see some sort of seller history before putting their trust in that kind of sale. 

That is of course assuming they aren't planning to take advantage of the purchase protection, knowing it's extremely easy to get a full refund after receiving the product (please look up cindylouwho2's blog post about this, she wrote a long article all about it last spring). That full refund comes from you and you have zero control over it. Which means you will not only be out the item, but the cost to ship it out. 

There is also absolutely no sort of Etsy score for buyers. There is for sellers (they can get awarded little badges and a star), but nothing for buyers. 

Please do not follow through with this sale, even if the buyer figures out how to make the sale go through (my guess is they'd get it to go through when they figured out which stolen credit card didn't get flagged immediately). 

2 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

@TopHatCollectibles  You need to read the details of the so-called seller protection policy here on Etsy. Etsy will refund your buyer out of your account for any purchases over $250 if the buyer says it didn't arrive - regardless of tracking showing it arrived, regardless of signature showing it was received. You are putting yourself at risk with the value of this item. You could be out the item as well as all the proceeds of the sale. Etsy does not have your back on this.

3 Likes

Please take all our advice very seriously. This "buyer" has so many red flags!

Even if a buyer has problems purchasing, THEY have to contact etsy; there is absolutely nothing we can do 

2 Likes

Be afraid. Be very afraid. And what everyone else said.

3 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

There also seems to be conflicting evidence on the actual value of this original painting ... seems $65 is the going price on many different venues, which makes me wonder how many "originals" there really are out there! (no offense to the OP)

3 Likes
UppNorthEh
Community Maker

and another "original" has sold on first dibs.  different frame.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.