Is anyone working on the thumbnail pictures showing up as black, extra large or just blank?  This issue has been going on for days and no updates have been given.

Please advise as soon as possible.

givemeacrown
Conversation Maker

Re: Any update on black thumbnail pictures?

I'm seeing this too in my other shop using Firefox, but not in Chrome on Windows.

I made a sale and the thumbnail for one of the items purchased is black. 

I've then looked at my shop home page and I see random items with black thumbnails or zoomed in thumbnails : (

I've tried a shift-refresh to override the cache and it doesn't help. 

Edited to add: I've just looked at this shop in Firefox and I see some zoomed in thumbnails, no black ones, but I don't have as many listings in this shop. I'm leaning towards this display issue being a browser-specific bug. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

I think you are right.  I switched to chrome and there is no black picture.  

0 Likes

Yeah, today we have black squares instead of photos for some items, and other photos blown up and horrible fuzzy (almost not recognizable).  But fortunately we're only seeing this on our sold orders pages, not anything that customers see (but no guarantee, of course, that this isn't bleeding over into customer pages).

0 Likes
CCCVDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Came here with the same problem. It's been going on for a few days now for me. I've run into this issue on two entirely different laptops and the Etsy Sellers app on my Android. I hope there is a fix soon. 

0 Likes
C20Ceramics
Conversation Maker

I have over 10 listings blacked out like this, and it seems to be spreading..... more every day.....but it is only when editing or adding new listings in the shop  manager, when I look at my store from the outside everything appears as normal. 

0 Likes

I just took my shop off vacation to see how those listings look. I've found that if I edit the listing and adjust the thumbnail, then save it, it seems to fix the problem - at least, for now. Can't say how long that will last, or if others will go wonky, though . . . (imagine a rolling eyes emoticon here) 

If it helps, I'm using Chrome. 

0 Likes
VibeEnvy
Conversation Maker

Editing it worked for me an hour ago but at some point it went back to zoomed in again already

0 Likes
C20Ceramics
Conversation Maker

I just checked my Etsy "buyer" account...and  items in my cart are randomly blacked out...  .....no wonder sales are dropping for a lot of sellers if buyers can not see what they are buying when they go to purchase! (I noticed you can see/view the item if you click on the link, but potential buyers wont do that if they see a black square, they will just move on. 

0 Likes
LaLunaArtPrints
Inspiration Seeker

Having the same issue... WTF is Etsy doing??? People aren't gonna buy if they see no thumbnail ffs. 

2 Likes
C20Ceramics
Conversation Maker

Hey @ampersay &  @ModJose the black box problem seems to be back and spreading.....have had a report from a customer looking at my store alerting me to the issue, (as well as noticing it myself with a number of listings - mainly when I edit) . The browser, clearing caches etc doesn't seem to make any difference. The issue seems to come and go, but overall seems to be getting worse. 

0 Likes
myartofVariety
Inspiration Seeker

Betreff: Any update on black thumbnail pictures?

I‘m having a black photo, too, with one of my bestselling products. Customers don‘t look at it and don’t buy. I expect the photos to be seen when paying fees.

2 Likes
givemeacrown
Conversation Maker

I commented in this thread a few hours ago that I was seeing black thumbnails in Firefox but I've had another look now and my thumbnails are all showing normally again.

0 Likes
SofloPixels
Inspiration Seeker

As of 5:55 am EST I still see the black thumbnails. I have seen them for 3 days. I have deleted and re uploaded pictures thinking that would help but nothing. Etsy really needs to Fix this issues. 

1 Like

Me too, terrible x

0 Likes

There was a thread started a month ago in which Admin said they were working on it:

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Technical-Issues/first-pictures-all-black-not-visible/td-p/140987506

0 Likes

A month ago?  They're not working very effectively then....

1 Like

Still seeing the blacked out and zoomed in thumbnails in my shop as well. In both my drafts and on active listings.  I cant for the life of me find where to report a bug.

0 Likes

Just noticed this today, Sunday the 19th.  Had a really weird week as well with crazy high shop favourites and views but yet not a single sale.

0 Likes

I still have this.  It comes and goes.  

0 Likes
CorvinaTees
Inspiration Seeker

I've been having this issue too, I thought it was my computer/browser so I restarted and I'm still getting the same thing.  When I view my shop, the thumbnail is black so it's not just what it looks like in the listing.  I'm trying to update a thumbnail and after 3 times moving it and resizing it around it's still black.

0 Likes

Blank picture.  It is sometimes black sometimes white.  Comes and goes.  Still having this problem.

0 Likes

I "fixed" at least 10 of my listings this morning that were either black or very zoomed in.  It's not just when I'm in as Shop Manager.  I had my husband look at my shop on his computer (I'm Apple, he is Microsoft), and he also saw blank or distorted thumbnails.  Very frustrating!

0 Likes

I have found trying to fix this is like whack a mole.  I fix one, there are two more or they are all different on a different server.  I think the fix has to come from someone other than us.

0 Likes

I commented in the other thread about this. I spoke with someone at Etsy yesterday, they seemed to think it's a user problem as they aren't seeing it on their end. I sent screenshots over showing what I'm seeing, she said it's probably a connectivity issue with my internet. I'm not having any issues on any other websites so it's all rather odd. I sent her the link to the other thread to let her know it's happening to others, she said she would pass the info. along but it really sounded like she thought it was my issue, not theirs.

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Technical-Issues/first-pictures-all-black-not-visible/m-p/141312645#M7...

FWIW, I did clear my cache/cookies and everything is looking normal now in my shop and one of the other shops that had lots of blacked out boxes as well. Not sure if this is a temporary fix or not. Regardless, I'm now seeing it on my phone and my husband's seeing it on his phone so the whole things a hot mess!

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@ColorfulCastAndCrew   I think there are too many people having this problem for it to be a "user problem".  And the amount of people having the problem has increased.

Just wanted you to know; I clicked into your Shop and don't see any black boxes on the first couple of pages (desktop computer, Chrome).  But that means nothing; people use various devices and who knows what others are seeing.  If you guys are seeing this, how many buyers are as well.  Definitely a hot mess and one which recently started for people, which tells me it's more likely things are being fiddled with in the background (rather than user based).

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.