We love to hear how seller got started selling on Etsy. Here is your chance to get featured on Handmadeology and get some exposure for your shop.

Handmadeology is currently seeing over 50k visitors per month and over 100k page views.

Rules:

Answer the following 3 questions right here in this thread.

1. Tell us your Etsy story.. how you got started in your craft and how you started selling on Etsy.
2. What have you learned about business since you launched your Etsy shop?
3. Tell us one piece of advice for new sellers.
4. When a new story is published help spread the word via Twitter, Facebook , bookmarking, or blogging.

The easiest way to know when a new "My Etsy Story " is published is to subscribe to Handmadeology's RSS feed.
http://www.handmadeology.com/free-handmade-blogging-blueprint/

Oh and you will get my Handmade Blogging Blueprint for subscribing as well!

To start things off here is my Etsy story!!

http://www.handmadeology.com/my-etsy-story-timothy-adam-designs/

Remember there is strength in numbers. Handmadeology will do the featuring and publishing, but with the sharing is up to the team!

Go HMET!!!

Timothy

Re: New Blog Topic - My Etsy Story - Get Featured on Handmadeology

Jump to solution
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
1. Tell us your Etsy story.. how you got started in your craft and how you started selling on Etsy.

My first trip to a bead store with my mother as a child...maybe I was 12? Once I was allowed to have my ears pierced, we went and picked out beads to make our own earrings - and with that I was hooked! I've come back to it many times in my life, and last year decided that if I was ever going to work for myself, it would be via my own jewelry business. Research research research...and I found Etsy! Started very small, read a LOT, created a business plan. Redid(do) my pictures frequently. I'm still just starting but I like that it's all mine to drive to success.

Once you have a wonderful product, marketing is really more important than anything else - so many wonderful shops list a few amazing items, then weeks later come to the Etsy forums asking why they haven't sold yet. You can't "list it and they will come" - not even the seasoned full time sellers. The business aspect, fortunately for me, as as attractive as the creative side.

See #2...and have patience - if you sell one thing in your first month GREAT! Many don't...but they do later. Many shops that are successful today will still tell similar stories. You said one, but the other tip is NEVER think your pictures are good enough (or at least, never say "I know my pics aren't great but why else am I not selling?") - Mine are always a work in progress. Plan to spend a LOT of time behind the camera.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
1. I had a quit your day job plan for years, its only vaguely related to what I am actually doing but I have some really cute threads saved from gardening forums years ago about starting Cubit's.

Right at the beginning of the "economic downturn" I lost my job. Gloriously. I mean it was epic and shocking and wow I hated that job.

We had a huge trip to Europe planed for a month later and despite being in financial upheaval, off we went. I remember looking out the train window in France and seeing all the kitchen gardens and knowing that now was the time to move on the plan. There would be no job searching when I got home.

So I went on unemployment to buy some time, started really working on the business plan, applied and got a nice government grant along with business training and a mentor and long story short, we had a baby somewhere in there, here we are.

2. What sets me apart from my competition is that I am approachable. Many of my seed selling peers come off as know it alls and terrify new gardeners. I truly believe that everyone can grow their own food no matter where they live or what their experience. Etsy offers a great platform for communicating with my customers and answering their growing questions. Additionally, I have learnt that they are not as computer savvy as I once hoped and its great that Etsy has such an easy interface.

3. Its okay to start small on Etsy, but small efforts bring small results. We originally were just listing a few of our varieties on Etsy and while they sold, it wasn't until we filled our shop and used all the features Etsy offers (treasuries, widgets) that we saw real results.

4. Easy Peasy. I am an internet addict.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have been crocheting since I was about 6, taught by my Grandma who was tired of me tying knots in her yarn. When I had my baldie daughter, I started making hats for her, and I was asked repeatedly where I got them, and when I told them I made them I almost always heard, you should sell them. So I started doing craft shows and selling to friends and family. I heard of Etsy in 2008 and signed up but didn't do much with my shop because I was doing so many craft shows. We moved to another state, and then my husband lost his job. So I decided to put full focus on my Etsy shop. I had minimal sales, and no idea what I was doing. I started researching SEO, and looking at blogs with the focus on Etsy Success. I took the advice to heart, and I just recently hit 500 sales!!!
I've learned that one of the most important things in business is your customer service!
Don't give up hope!! Have faith in yourself and your craft! Keep the confidence that made you open a shop in the first place!!
0 Likes
BloomAndTendril
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

My mom is a quilter and my dad's a photographer. I grew up in the 1970's Sacramento art scene living a very tactile, visual childhood. The term "maker" is huge now, and it sums up who I've always been. Developing a motif and coaxing personality out of fabric are very personal activities for me - I love to sew.

I learned about Etsy in early '06 but didn't sign up until later that year. I had to take a hiatus last year and am having fun recharging my shop and learning all the new tools. I've been writing about it at http://ThingsAreLovely.com. The community is just as helpful and vibrant as it was when I left it!

The most important lesson I learned was also the most difficult - that business is business. It was a shocker to realize that all the great feedback I received on my designs didn't automatically translate into sales. I learned quickly to rely on myself for marketing and built many systems into my daily routine to make sure my art and business thrived equally.

The advice I always offer first is "Go with your gut." There are hundreds of helpful books, blogs, sellers and gurus out there with the number one answer to Etsy selling. You'll never read it all and you shouldn't. Take in the information that comes to you, but ultimately your gut will tell you if a certain path is right for your business. Having an artistic nature means you're probably very intuitive - lean on your intuition.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I love these stories
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I come from a family of artists, teachers, and avid story tellers. When I was 4, my grandmother informed my parents that I would pass on the family tradition. My little hands were always busy; my mother has always said that art supplies were her best babysitter. When it came to college, I knew that I would study fine art ~ I wasn't even questioned about my choice, and my first path was photography. I soon found that my heart wasn't in it (though it comes in handy, now) so I transferred colleges and studied the dying art of enamelwork. Most of my classmates were septuagenarians, but I loved it. To be honest, I first learned about enameling from my aunt, when I was only 5. She was an art teacher... surprise! As far as Etsy is concerned, I've been buying from my fellow artists since the site was beta (I used a different name), so I've been very active within the community since it's inception. Oh yeah, and I *also* spent ten years as an art teacher, while slowly harvesting an enormous cache of vintage enameling stock. I had a plan ;)

Oh, my goodness! What haven't I learned? Back in the day, when I was still in college, I ran an jewelry business, too. I traveled to shows and sold by word of mouth. I actually gave people my telly number! I think lots of people are under the misconception that shopping is still conducted in the same way, but it's really not. The most important thing is to network and create in equal amounts. I'm an avid twitter user, facebooker, and blogger. I also wear certain jewelry pieces everywhere I go, even if I don't feel like it. Being stopped by appreciative strangers never gets old, and it can often lead to a sale...

Be yourself, and brand that image. Most of my sales come from people who appreciate my creations, but they really *love* my stories. Whenever I sell anything, I give folks a copy of the story to carry with them, since I want them to think of their purchase as a true keepsake. I like to picture their grandchildren opening up a box with my treasured tale inside. The idea that any of us can become part of another person's larger life story is as precious to me, as the jewelry I create.

Thank you for reading this... much love to handmadeology for encouraging us to ALL tell our stories.

xoxo,
Nat
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Great reading everyone's "story" - here's mine!

How I Started:
I suddenly lost a great corporate mgmt position just as the economy was turning. Quickly realized that a 50 yr old self taught finance and business operations overseer was going to have a tough time going up for jobs with younger, more qualified people. Bought a sewing machine to learn how to sew, wanted to learn to quilt to "relax" and took a part time bookkeeping job. Came upon a great stash of upholstery fabrics and made some tote bags. Did a couple craft shows, was told of etsy and started my shop. Told my husband I'd clip coupons to help reduce expenses. Hated the store bought organizers I was finding, and designed something that worked for me. Started selling them at craft shows and on etsy, and they really took off! In late 2009 I was diagnosed with breast cancer, had to cancel my holiday shows and go through surgery, chemo and radiation. Etsy became my sole source of income. It was a godsend to me, both financially and emotionally to have etsy with me at home. I was unable to do any craft shows in 2010, yet etsy kept me going, paid the household bills...and allowed me to start chipping away at the $10,000 medical debt incurred. I'm now fully back on my feet, planning more expansion in my business, and etsy is key in my continued growth and success!

What I've learned on etsy:
I have learned there is so much to learn! You need to work SO hard to get your product seen, to turn interest into sales and to keep up with all the technology you need to know to accomplish that. I take none of my success for granted and work every day to better myself as a human and as a self employed business owner. Etsy, handmadeology and the internet has SUCH resources. Take advantage and read, learn and absorb! Join teams and get involved.

Advice -
Love what you do. Take care of your health and well being. It's easy to put yourself on the back burner...and burn out. Learn, love, share and laugh. Believe in yourself and what you create. Shine and Glow!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I just submitted a blog post to handmadeology on social media. Hopefully it will get picked up:

I have a new shop: chelsearainbow.etsy.com
I have always loved jewelry and I love the relationship that women have with their jewelry. It makes us feel beautiful, feminine, and powerful. It affects us in many ways, and even if a piece does not cost thousands of dollars, it is still precious to us.
Stop by and see my new work: chelsearainbow.etsy.com
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Ever since I was a little girl I have drawn or painted. After moving to Portland Oregon in 2003, I took up oil painting for the second time in my life. Wanting a fresh start with my art and life I felt Portland was the perfect place! I began learning how to paint in the classical style, similar to the renaissance masters, painting the human figure. This method requires multiple sessions and many layers of paint to build up volume and subtlety. After accumulating quite a body of work I decided to sell my prints online, happily discovering Etsy through a friend. I’m continuing to learn and evolve my painting style. Recently my focus has been small still life, such as fruits, veggies, flowers and my pets. I have also learned a new way of painting called Alla Prima, which means to paint in one sitting or session. I’m pleased to have Etsy to showcase my small works and for the community it provides.

Etsy has shown me that my image/brand is everything. Whatever I am selling has to look put together in a complete way. Great pictures, descriptions and stories of that product are very important to buyers. I try to look at my listings through the buyers eyes. It is hard when my creations do not sell right away. But I’m grateful they do get a lot of “favorites”! One thing that it does confirm is that people are looking and that is a good thing!

My advice to new sellers would be to dedicate some time each week to really delve into how Etsy can serve you. Obviously taking great pictures, writing awesome descriptions and putting your personal story or touch to each product is crucial but building community around your store is also very important.

I'm excited to be a part of Handmadeology!
Thanks much! :)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I am just getting started on etsy. I've been a wreath designer for over 10 years. I tell my whole story on my blog ideasblooming.blogspot.com
I would love to tell my story to the etsy world on handmadeology!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I started back on etsy for the new year of 2011. This is much different then the first time I started in 2008. The biggest difference is I have a brick and mortar store and I attended the Etsy Success Symposium in Brooklyn in February. These two factors I believe are contributing to my success in many ways. First I had my inventory made and ready for sale.........second I had my prices........I just started taking pictures and changed my banner to reflect my product. The other difference is I concentrate on listing on Etsy while my husband makes most of the product. So, since I started I realized it would be like having a store......I couldn't just put pictures up of my vintage upcycled products and expect big things to happen. Just like in a store you can't just open the door and expect sales. You must ENGAGE the customer. Luckily I enjoy this part of our business. So........taking a good picture........describing the item and use............and then using social networks to help people find you. This is the hardest part for me, but the most satisfying. This is when I share on facebook if I am part of a Treasury......or I enter a contest and invite my friends to vote for me. The bottom line is you can't have a build it and they will come attitude. You have to share......and share ......and share. This was the best lesson learned when I started blogging. You can't just ask why doesn't anyone read my blog? You have to read other blogs and comment!!!!! It is all about sharing......sharing your inspirtation.........sharing good news......sharing questions.......sharing answers.......sharing what you LOVE and keeping it positive!!! My best advice is to set realistic goals and follow through. Write your goals down and reward yourself when these are achieved. If you are having a hard time..........read threads from the teams and understand you are not the only one having a hard time and take some kind of action to make things better. Don't ever give up.......maybe take a break and approach with a new outlook. Please read my blog: http://greetingsfromgeralyn.blogspot and friend me on facebook so we can share this great opportunity called.................ETSY!!!!!!!!!!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi all- I just joined this team- I think it will be a great experience! Thanks for the opportunity to read all of your stories and to share mine-

Here is my story-
My name is Rebecca and I have been designing and creating artisan jewelry for nearly 20 years. I work at my tiny home-based studio in Rhode Island (frequently interrupted by my two lovely kids!) and create jewelry which reflects my love of color , art, nature and my passion for all things vintage.
I started making jewelry after I finished my major in marine illustration at art college in Boston and while working full time as an illustrator, began making wire and bead creations for fun as a hobby. Soon I decided to sell a few of my pieces at a local artisan shop and Fuchsia Bloom Studio was born.
I have been reading lot of articles lately about promoting your online business and, based on my own personal experience, it is one of the hardest things I've ever done! For years I either sold my artisan jewelry via consignment or wholesale orders to shops with the occasional craft fair or home party thrown in. I decided to join Etsy back in 2008 on the recommendation of a friend and really had no idea how to go about things. All the helpful tips about SEO and social networking provided for people new to the online scene from sites such as Handmadeology and Unanimous Craft were either hard to track down or non-existent. And if you didn't know about those things in the first place how would you know to look for information on them? I remember taking not-so-good photos of my work (I still cringe when I look back at those photos and to think - some lovely people bought those items!), bought a few showcase spots a few months after opening up shop, added an item here and there and that was it! I didn't even really know about relisting! Even though the competition for jewelry vendors was much less then than it is now, needless to say I didn't get many views,hearts or sales.
After working for 2 years on my shop photos, trying to join all the pertinent social sitesand joining Etsy teams - I noticed a huge increase in views and sales from when I first started - still not as much as I would like based on those "quit your day job" articles, but definitely enough to supplement my wholesale income. Currently I am still struggling to have my shop be seen but when I get comments from my customers, Etsy visitors and shop owners that they really like my items and/or photos, it makes all the hard work worthwhile!
Advice I would give to new sellers - stay true to your vision to give your work freshness and vibrancy and promote anywhere and every where you can! There are a lot of helpful tips out there that you can put to use.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I make bags. Purses and tote bags, wallets, clutches…the list is ever expanding. But the one thing they all have in common is that they are made out of material from second-hand clothing. It is the story of how I became the ‘bag lady’ that I want to share today. One day a friend of mine e-mailed me a pattern for a simple, draw-string style bag. She knew I sewed and wanted help making a bunch of these bags to sell. They were raising money in order to be able to adopt. (see http://hebertfam.wordpress.com/). We made a few, but didn’t sell very many. Just for fun, I decided to make one for myself. I scrounged up an old pair of jeans that really didn’t fit any more and went to town tearing them apart and piecing them together. Here’s what I made: When my friends saw the bag I had made, several of them wanted one. So I started making bags for them. Everyone kept telling me, “You should sell these!” I wasn’t ready for that, too much work, too much commitment. Then I made a bag for a silent auction to raise money for a mission trip my teenagers were going on. I couldn’t believe the response that bag got; there was a virtual war going on over who would make the biggest bid to get the bag. I couldn’t believe it…maybe there was a market for them… Meanwhile, summer was slipping away and the school year was almost upon us. Normally during the summer I earned a small income by working at a nearby amusement park. It was a perfect job for me because it was seasonal and meant that I could be home during the school year, which was important to me because I home school our two children. My daughter is graduated now, and in bible college, but my son was entering his junior year. Being at home with my children is great, but it also means a bit of sacrificing in the way of income. So I started praying about in-home employment. Then came the “God moment” at the cutting table of JoAnn Fabrics: a “chance” meeting with a woman who made baby car-seat covers and was looking for a seamstress to do some piece work for her. Next came a tune-up for my 17-year-old sewing machine, a couple of weeks of productive sewing, ten car-seat covers, and an e-mail bringing that short chapter to a close. But now my sewing machine was out from under layers of dust, my daily routine ready to accommodate hours of sewing, and my creativity and ambition beginning to pump madly. There was only one problem. I needed material to sew with and had no funds to purchase anything. Enter the hand-me-downs. I messaged and e-mailed all my friends begging for their hand-me-down pants…denim, corduroy, velor…whatever they were willing to part with. The response was heart-warming. Before I knew it, I had piles and piles of pants and had several wonderful reunions with friends I hadn’t seen in years. Then I got to work. I had 5 weeks to get ready for my first craft fair. I didn’t know what to expect. How much stock did I need to have? Would people even be interested in my products? How much would they be willing to pay? Three craft fairs later I realized that folks really seemed to like my things. So I started praying. The question was whether I should buckle down and take this pass-time seriously, whether pursuing a career in hand-crafted bags and accessories was part of God’s plan for this period of my life. I got that familiar, gently nudge, that ‘still, small voice’ saying, “Go ahead. Give it a whirl.” The next thing I know I’ve got order upon order to be done in time for Christmas, sales from a local farm store where some of my things are sold on consignment, and even a few purchases from my brand-new Etsy shop, Hand Me Down DesignsME (http://www.handmedowndesignsme.etsy.com). My shop has been open for about 5 months now and one of the most important things I've learned, besides making sure to have good photos, is that connecting with other Etsy folks makes a world of difference. Being part of a team, communicating with each other, sharing our newest listings, blog posts, and ideas, all play a role in being successful. Our Etsy Maine Team even worked together to plan an deliver our very own craft fair that we call The BIG THAW (http://thebigthawportland.wordpress.com/). It has been so neat pooling our talents and showcasing each other. My advice to other Etsy sellers out there, don't give up. Try different approaches until you find something that works for you. Keep learning, keep experimenting, and keep doing what you love!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I love reading everyone's stories and I think the wonderful thing at the bottom of most of them is that we're all following our passions. What a great way to live your life!

Two years ago, I was laid off from a job where I'd been for 9 years. They held onto me as long as they could so it was hard for everyone when I had to go. My focus was great towards job searching for a few months until I realized that not only was it going to be difficult for me to find the same type of position I had had before, but I wasnt sure that I really wanted to !

While I wasn't on the internet looking for my perfect fitting job, I was making jewelry.... it made me feel good and the creativity was really helping to fill the void that the loss of my job had left. My husband , my family, and friends were really supportive and encouraged me to start selling my work. I also realized that if I wanted to keep making it, I'd HAVE to start selling it... how many earrings can one person wear in a year, after all? ! That was the start of Hitch Hollow Design which officially opened for business last Feb.

A successful start online led me to some craft shows and during one particular event in DC, I stumbled upon a little dog who was up for rescue. It was instant love! I was able to take her home 2 days later and the following day set about making her a dog tag. Hers turned into making one for a friend, then my brothers' dogs, then ...well, you get the idea ! That's the week that Doggone Tags was born and I havent looked back !

I've stuck to the same principles with my online pet id tag biz that I did in my jewelry biz. Customer service is the most important part of it. Communication is so key. I send a note when I get the order and another when the tag is done and ready to be sent. That note gets a pic attached of the finished tag. My customers get to know me a little through those emails, and more than half of them send me a picture back of their pet with the new tag on. What a rewarding ending! And I know that these happy customers have passed on my cards (I always send 2 with my packages so they can pass along one) because the word of mouth growth has been great.

360 online sales in 4 months and it's only growing. Now I'm able to give back to the group who blessed me with my wonderful rescue pup. And now I'm no longer looking for a "real job" because I have the job of my dreams... creating all day long with my pooch at my side !
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi, I am Rhonda. I have an Etsy success story! ...

I started selling jewelry and love potion bottles on etsy in October 2009. got a lot of compliment and was in a lot of treasuries, but I only got 20 sales in 8 months. But, one was for 25 custom love potion bottles for a wedding, so I was encouraged to continue.

Then I started adding my digital download Halloween paper doll parade characters this past August 2010 and things took off. They are 3D paper dolls that I created from antique Victorian fashion plates and merchandise illustrations.

I have literally sold thousands of paper dolls since that first day, August 18, 2010! Most orders are for more than one item because buyers like to collect them. They become addicted to them!

Customers requested even more Halloween characters, so I began working 12 hour days, 7 days a week to produce more of them. Even with that schedule, I was only able to crank out one character per week because they take so long to research, design, and then create in Photoshop.

By October, I went from 13 active monthly facebook fans to 75, even tho I only had about 100 fans. That means 75% of my fans kept coming back each week to see what new character would be announced.

Then customers requested a Christmas Parade, so I started one right after Halloween. Once Christmas was over I started a Marie Antoinette Parade. Both of these parades are doing well also. By February, I had to stop that grueling schedule and get my life back. I spent time setting up a blog, etc. and learning more about marketing and backed off on the designing. But people are still buying Halloween and Xmas, even now!

My advice to others is...go for multiple sales!
if you can make things that go together as a collection, do that. If you make necklaces, be sure to have earrings to match. If you have paintings, do collections of 3 or 4 that go together to make multiple sales.

Also, don' t give up. Try a different product if you aren't happy with your sales of your first product. You can add sections to your shop with a totally different items in them. That is why my avatar and banner are generic looking for now...because I have various items in my shop.
Good Luck !
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hello, my name is Maro and I am Akamatra!

The shop’s name is an old fashioned way to say (in Greek) that a woman is lazy in house related chores. That’s me because I’d rather make jewelry and other handmade creations than do my chores! At first I thought of using my real name – Supergirl – but then I figured that no one would believe me since I wear my panties under and not over my tights (!). I can assure you though that’s our only difference ;) … I make my own jewelry since my mum introduced me to the magic world of seed beads at the age of eight. I decided to open Akamatra’s when I discovered etsy and after my friends and loved ones encouraged me to. They did have much choise on it either, since I was staring at the recently listed items 24-7!

I am inspired by the materials I use, chemistry, geometry, the light, nature. Ideas come uninvited in the worst of times; when I have no pen nor paper and no time to find some. Thankfully I have some brain cells still functioning so I can recall them.

I quite a newbie at Etsy but in a few months I've learnt things I could not dream I could! I think I was not reading this hard for my PhD in biochemistry! I think the most important business rule I am taking with me all day long is never discount quality, only prices!

If I could give one advise to a new (newer than me) seller it would be study, study, study. And when you are through, study some more!

Thanks this was fun!

Maro
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thank you so much Tim!

1. When I was a little girl, I LOVED to watch my mom and her friends do their quilting circles. in these gatherings I not only saw quilts being made but also crochet, knitting, and cross stitch. I admired the quality of the hand made items and wanted to learn. My Mother started teaching me to crochet and I learned the basics, but I am left handed and my mother was right and we couldn't figure out how to cross that barrier. I didn't know how to read a pattern and neither did my mother, so sadly I gave up but continued to admire the beautiful craftsmanship of handmade items.

Years later, after college, marriage, and two sons, I was blessed with a little girl. I've always wanted a little girl, and through the years I would see women with little girls and I'd be so envious of the adorable outfits and accessories they adorned their daughters with. I wanted to do that. When I got my little girl, I had the motivation to learn again. In the beginning I wanted to learn to make the items because for us it was too expensive to buy it all from someone else, but I wanted to dress up my daughter. I decided I would start where I left off all those many years ago. I re-learned how to crochet! I learned how to read patterns, and youtube was a great help with instructional videos. Then I started experimenting with adding the crocheted edgings to socks. Then I added beads to them. And then I started creating my own designs. It was fun and I loved it. Ladies would see my daughter and now THEY were envious of her adorable little socks. I had a few women suggest to me to open an etsy store and sell them. That was the first time I had heard about etsy. After a few weeks looking around Etsy I decided to go for it, And then I was addicted. I have since branched out our line of products to include silk and fabric hair accessories, bow holders, boutique travel wipe cases on occasion, and now a new product line just for women by going back to my crochet skills and created a Crocheted Jewelry line with wire, beads, stones and pearls. It has been a fun Journey and I look forward to continuing to experiment and create.

When I first started I knew nothing about business. It was a lot of stumbling around in the beginning. I quickly learned how to network with other shops and they have been great helping me to learn. I am learning more and more each day of how to use Etsy and other social networking platforms to promote our merchandise. But I have also learned, it is a long process and can be discouraging at times, but you have to always remember WHY you started in the first place. If it was just to make money, it may be harder to get though the slow/hard times. But if it was because of a passion of loving what you do, then it makes those frustrating times easier to handle.

When Creating your items, don't try to make your stuff like everything else that is selling, because you become another face in a very large and over populated crowd, and then you have to worry about "price matching" because if you don't you then the fans just go to Jane Doe over there and get the SAME thing for less money. You don't need that stress and it ruins the experience. Take what you love to do and experiment with it to discover a way to make it uniquely yours so they can stand out from the rest; so people will want to buy YOUR items, no matter the price of the others.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Love to hear stories
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I started off sewing and making clothing and accessories when I was about 15 years old, I was always trying new things, making mistakes and learning from my mistakes.
By the time I turned 19, I enrolled at a fashion school and learnt how to do fashion drawing, pattern making and garment construction which really helped develop my skills - on top of that I was always reading books, watching youtube vids to learn new techniques.
I started my first shop at Etsy when I was about 20, and it was quite unsucessful looking back at it - It was called BabyPhunk, funky clothing for 20 something year olds but often got mistaken for baby wear.
I then re-opened my new shop November, 2010 under Alofashion. Alo fashion comes from my name Amanda Loschiavo (alo) and I make fashionable items.
I was open for about 3 months, and then started getting regular sales! Such a buzz.

Since launching my Etsy shop (both the unsucessful one) and my current one, I have learnt to use all the resources available! Very important. I was reading the Etsy Sellers Bible with all the tips and info about selling here, I was asking for critiques on the forums, I was involved on the forums..

I also tell new Etsy sellers, check out Livestream Etsy videos. You will learn alot, and they are very insightful. Its most important to network and meet new people so I have my own "Custom Orders Alchemy Australia" team where anyone in Australia can join and meet other artists, and eventually buyers can list items they'd like to get made from Australia. I have 269 members and growing, and its only been open for 2 months.

I am continually learning each day, trying new things, and when it's not working I try something different. Its llke setting a new challenge for myself every day and learning from it.

My advise to new sellers. Get very very familiar with Etsy! Before you open your shop, have a look at whats currently online - prices/quality/etc. So for example you might want to make handbags in vintage fabrics - check out your competition. What are the price points? What is being offered? If you can find a product that isnt over saturated, then run with it.

Take your time, don't jump from the top of the mountain without knowing what your going to do - otherwise you'll break legs!

My tips for new sellers:
1. Read as much info about selling on Etsy inc. Sellers Bible/Forums/Teams/Livesteam Videos
2. Research on what is currently out there in terms of price points, quality and what is on offer
3. Differiate yourself from your competitor e.g "I ship every day" instead of I go to the post once a week.. etc
4. Practice Practice Practice - learn how to take good photos, write good descriptions, and use your tags!
4. When a new story is published help spread the word via Twitter, Facebook , bookmarking, or blogging.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I'm still really new to all of this, but wanted to jump right in anyways!

I'm mostly self taught with a LOT of trial and error! I have to give credit to a great friend who told me where to buy a wax kit to start carving models for casting and how to turn on and use an acetylene torch without blowing up the house! I spent more time than I care to admit watching an endless array of you tube videos to learn how to set stones and solder more successfully. I get a lot of crazy ideas in my head and then get stubborn about trying to figure out ways to make them work. Most of my designs were random bursts of creativity that happened in the wee hours of the night/morning.

I live in the caribbean, and am lucky enough to work sea turtle conservation here with several local groups. Spending nights out on the beach with these fascinating, magical beings is what inspired my very first designs. I wanted to create a piece which encompassed not only the mystical, ancient aura of the sea turtle, but also the swirl, which symbolizes the endless cycle of life and the Universe. Both symbols found throughout history, having been recorded very early on by ancient civilizations in the forms of petroglyphs and rock drawings. That is how my very first design was born: The swirl turtle. This is now my trademark logo and I am officially known as "the turtle girl" here on island.

That very same friend who showed me how to solder was the one who suggested I come to Etsy to try to market my product to the rest of the world. I opened my first shop several years ago and much to my surprise, made several sales! Turns out island folks were not the only ones with a love for sea turtles! Since then my collection has grown considerably, featuring more mystical sea creatures, as well as some other. more organic pieces. Mother Nature, to this day, is by far my greatest inspiration, and you will find swirl motifs throughout all of my designs.

First and foremost, I learned that "if you build it, they will come" attitude will NOT get you very far! And here, I would like to admit that I am still learning about business on Etsy, and am a work in progress and will be for a long time! But, I reached out to a wonderful seller here, and she took the time out of her busy days to walk me through all of the things I needed to start doing to make my shop successful. I owe her a lot, because it's already making a huge difference and I've gotten not only more views and been "favorited" and put into treasuries, but also have gotten sales!

For the first couple of years here, my Etsy shop had a total of maybe 4 - 5 listings and not very many visitors. My photography was quite possibly the worst I have seen on here! That leads me to my next point. Good photography is key! Buyers have millions of listings to sort through and you have about 1 second to impress them enough so that they click on your listing. Also, good, descriptive titles that are telling of what you're selling are key.

Networking is playing a huge part in the growth I've seen in my shop over the last few days. I joined some wonderful teams and got proactive! Updated my Facebook Jewelry page as well, and am crosspromoting not only my shop, but others' as well. Putting myself out there seems to be helping me make tremendous strides forward. Being able to design something beautiful is great, but that's only just the beginning.

I truly believe that great customer service is one of the most important things for a successful business to grow. I sell my work locally here, and most of my business has been repeat, satisfied customers and their friends, family and coworkers. Word of mouth, so-to-speak. If you treat one person well and they are happy, it will get around and not only will they be back, but so will people they know. It grows exponentially! So much so that I have been able to quit my day job. And that's no small feat!

I hope to have that same experience right here, on Etsy. Infact, I won't give up until I do! Positive thinking is pretty important too ;)

I think a lot of what I wrote in the answer to the previous question applies here as well. Put yourself out there, your best foot forward. Start with the visual stuff (your work, great photography and listings), then get out there and get involved. Be great to your customers and they will be great to you.

Okay, so that was three pieces of advice. But I believe they are all worthy of a mention. :)

Thanks for the opportunity to tell my story!
~Liz

0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.