New Blog Topic - My Etsy Story - Get Featured on Handmadeology

Jump to solution
We love to hear how seller got started selling on Etsy. Here is your chance to get featured on Handmadeology and get some exposure for your shop.

Handmadeology is currently seeing over 50k visitors per month and over 100k page views.

Rules:

Answer the following 3 questions right here in this thread.

1. Tell us your Etsy story.. how you got started in your craft and how you started selling on Etsy.
2. What have you learned about business since you launched your Etsy shop?
3. Tell us one piece of advice for new sellers.
4. When a new story is published help spread the word via Twitter, Facebook , bookmarking, or blogging.

The easiest way to know when a new "My Etsy Story " is published is to subscribe to Handmadeology's RSS feed.
http://www.handmadeology.com/free-handmade-blogging-blueprint/

Oh and you will get my Handmade Blogging Blueprint for subscribing as well!

To start things off here is my Etsy story!!

http://www.handmadeology.com/my-etsy-story-timothy-adam-designs/

Remember there is strength in numbers. Handmadeology will do the featuring and publishing, but with the sharing is up to the team!

Go HMET!!!

Timothy
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
8 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: New Blog Topic - My Etsy Story - Get Featured on Handmadeology

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes
694 Replies

Jump to solution
What a great idea folks! Tell us the story!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thanks for this sharing!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I started silversmithing 6 years ago. I live in a remote area of the Oregon Coast. I didn't have access to classes of any kind. I'd been making beaded jewelry for many years and grew up in a very artsy, creative family so have always created in some form. I moved from glass beads to stone beads then began using Fair Trade Karen Hilltribe silver. I am in awe of the Karen and their skilled silversmiths. So after years of using their silver I decided to give it a try myself. I bought a couple silversmithing books, some magazines and watched some You Tube videos. My husband builds aluminum offshore boats so he was a help with my torch and gases. After that I was off!

My daughter had been hounding me forever about doing an Etsy shop. I had been an Etsy member for a few years, but didn't think people would buy my jewelry without trying it on. Finally April 19th 2010 I gave in to my daughter and opened an Etsy shop. I thank her all the time, she likes silver as "Thank Yous". :)

I read, endless forum discussions on branding, marketing, photos, selling on Etsy in general. When I do something I do it all the way, so my husband only saw the side of my face for my first 4 months on Etsy as I buried myself in my computer and at my workbench. My first sale I was so excited I couldn't believe it. Now 9 months later I have 95 sales and every sale is still exciting. One of the most important things I learned from Etsy was finding my niche and creating my shop around that. I started really thinking about what I do and what I love. I have always collected stones, love walking the beach and finding new stones. I realized I could incorporate my love for stones, love for the beach, and love of creating into one. I use beach stones in many of my pieces which ties it all together.

I have learned so many things since starting my Etsy shop. Branding, marketing, use of social networks, among a few. I am still learning, but if you read all the tips and apply them you will sell.
I love Etsy one piece of advice for new sellers is to make use of all the tons of seller help, read, read, read! Handmadeology is probably the best for an endless wealth of information. I have had many sales that directly link back to the Handmadeology blog and facebook page. Thank you Tim and Handmadeology!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
1. Started three shops in late 2008, vintage, mini canvas artwork and robot sculptures. By 2009 the robots gained the most notability and I love making them. Buyers began to approach me with custom orders I would have never thought of and I've kept going ever since.

2. Ideas I've loved never caught on, it's okay to try different styles and sizes. Don't be afraid to promote yourself offline as you do online.

3. Follow helpful blogs like http://www.handmadeology.com and http://www.etsy.com/storque
It takes time, be patience.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
How I got started in my craft and how I started selling on Etsy are so unrelated! I sell handmade, reusable fabric gift bags which I started making about three years ago. I was standing in my basement a few weeks before Christmas getting ready to dig out the wrapping paper box, and I just couldn't do it. I couldn't wrap presents in paper that was just going to be thrown away. So I went to the fabric store, dug out the sewing machine, and made some bags to wrap my family's presents. The next year I made some more and used them for presents for my family as well as presents I gave outside of the family. Everybody raved about them which felt great. But, the third year, as I got better at making them, people really liked them and said I should sell them. So after mulling it over for a few months and discovering Etsy somewhere along the way, I opened a shop. Not much at first, but growing all the time.

I think the biggest thing I've learned about business is to promote, promote, promote. It doesn't matter if you're selling cupcakes dipped in gold if nobody knows they exist!!! So getting my product out there, explaining the benefits (no trash!, makes wrapping so much easier, and they look great), and selling, selling, selling is the hardest part. There's no Field of Dreams -- just because you build it, people won't come.

My advice for new sellers, and I'm still under a year myself, is to work on your photography until your sick of it, promote yourself off of Etsy, and get help where you need it. I just hired someone -- a fellow Etsian -- to design a logo, banner, and avatar, and I'm considering getting some professional advice on the best photo setup and having a few professional photos taken for publicity kits.

It's a journey, and I'm hoping to make the most of it.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
awesome!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Thank you Tim, for this amazing opportunity! *Ü*

1. Tell us your Etsy story.. how you got started in your craft and how you started selling on Etsy.

For about 10 years, I was focused solely on the publishing sector of the crafting industry: featuring my scrapbooking and paper craft projects, with jewelry design thrown in there every once in a while. But then I started to suffer burn-out and took up lampworking (the making of glass beads) as my "hobby from my paying hobby" and began amassing more glass than I care to admit! LOL I quickly realized that I had more glass to make beads than I would ever be able to personally wear or give away to my friends and family during my lifetime. I had heard about Etsy through some friends who loved it, but didn't seriously consider it for myself until my sister-in-law commissioned me to make 12 glass-topped bottle stoppers for Christmas gifts. That was the big push I needed to start selling my work and became the beginning of my journey into the retail side of the business.

The more work you put into it, the more positive results you'll get out of it! Do your research, check out highly successful shops and see what they do that makes them stand out? Subscribe to great forums like Handmadeology to make sure you're on top of all the current business practices, marketing trends, latest helpful software, etc. Don't underestimate the power of networking either.

Treat your customers the way YOU would like to be treated: send their items in attractive packaging and include a handwritten thank-you note with it. It lets them know you care about both the quality of your work, and that you think they are special. Also, don't forget to follow up with a quick note of thanks through email or Etsy convo as soon as you see that you have the sale. Great communication and a personal touch are never unappreciated or forgotten! *Ü*
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I became serious about my etsy store after loosing my day job. At one time I thought I'd make jewlery but quickly realized I'm a 2D artist! Oil painter and printmaker. I decided printmaking was the best medium for my etsy store!

I feel like I've learned a lot about how to photograph 2D work, and how to write descriptions that are interesting to potential buyer. I also feel like I have a lot to learn! The most important thing I've learned is not to devalue my product or my time!

My advice for new sellers would be to first focus on your product. Is it something that you are proud of and can stand behind? Have you worked out all the kinks? Next is brand identity! It should ooze from everything you have your store name one! I'm still working on the myself!

I look forward to seeing everyone's stories!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
1. I started in my craft when I was a kid. My mom sewed, my grandmother sewed, aunts, cousins, all sewed. It came to me quite naturally, actually. I didn't really do any sewing beyond quick repairs to clothes for about 15 years until I had my daughter in 2009. I wanted to be able to make her clothes and toys, so I hauled out my mom's old Singer 247 and started sewing again.

I heard about Etsy from a friend who mentioned he was going to open a shop to sell his beautiful jewelry…and then from another friend who set up a shop to sell baby clothes and toys. I joined Etsy in November 2009, but didn't start stocking my shop until March 2010. Since then, I've developed my talents and have worked on making my products better and more attractive to potential customers.

2. A little bit of research will go a long ways. Keep up on your bookkeeping or you'll spend too much time in December catching up. Don't be afraid to try new things. Make good, strong connections with people in this business.

3. Educate yourself. The resources are there - use them.

That's it - thanks!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I had been a professional painting artist in art galleries for 15 before I found glass lampworking. I fell in love with glass with the very first bead I made. I changed my career focus from painting to lampworking and never looked back! I sold my beads at bead shows for 10 years, until I moved to Texas. I decide to not do the bead show scene and instead pursued selling on Etsy after the moved.

Selling at bead shows and selling on Etsy are 2 totally different birds. I have had to start from scratch learning new techniques with Etsy. Knowledge of simple things like using the computer, learning social media like Facebook & Twitter, learning photography, writing enticing blogs & newsletters and organizing my time to not only create my art but spend just as much time promoting it is mandatory to being successful.

When I did bead shows, I was able to focus on creating my artwork and I usually spent a least 6-8 hours a day perfecting my skills and creations. I only had to interact with people when I did my shows once a month. People were able to touch the merchandise and talk with me at the shows which is a highly effective way to sell. On the downside of bead shows are the expenses such as booths, travel, food & hotel but that's a whole another ball of wax.

Getting back to what I have learned is a LOT. I have been attempting to learn all the above listed things. And it has been confusing, frustrating, challenging, mind boggling and exhausting! I'm still struggling but I have found that organization is imperative. Signing up on blogs that teach this process is very important. I have just signed up for a course to learn how to do all the things necessary to be successful on Etsy after struggling for 6 months and I feel that finally I have some control over the situation.

On the subject to paying someone to help you, here's my input. If I'm really serious about this as my career, it is imperative that I spend the money to educate myself. Any other career would require no less... college or technical schools. And I am thankful for those who provide this service in such a reasonable, loving & giving way. So I guess that would be my piece of advice to others.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
1. I was in a rut at my day job and decided that I wanted to do something more creative in my spare time. I had always been insterested in painting, but I wanted to try something new. Halloween was coming up, so I decided to make some Day of the Dead sugar skull pendants from paper clay. I sold one 15 minutes after posting it, and it was at that moment that I knew I wanted to try and make a go of selling my work on Etsy. I've since moved on to polymer clay, and I've also sold some of my original paintings to people all over the world. Since losing my day job last summer, I've finally had the opportunity to work in my shop full time, and I couldn't be happier doing it.

2. I've learned that you have to be very patient and that sometimes you have to keep on creating things until you find out what sells the best in your shop. You can't be afraid to try something new and put it out there.

3. My advice to new sellers would be to learn everything you can about selling your work online. Do your research and find out what works and what doesn't. What makes your work stand out from all of the others? Check out shops that are successful, and see what they are doing. Read up on blogs like Handmadeology, and become more educated about things that you might have a hard time with, such as SEO, how to take the best photos of your work, and most importantly, customer service. The more that you know, the more confident you will be in selling your awesome handmade goods. ^_^
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I grow up wathcing my mother sewing all day long trying to provide some money for the house,I started helping her from time to time,and it all came natural!.
When I got married and I moved to USA,I found myself stuck in the house because i couldn't work or drive until my green card situation was resolved so i started sewing pillows to decorate my living room and bedroom!

Once I was done around the house I found myself looking for excuses to keep sewing!,I always loved Etsy and I always thought that it was a grate idea to be able to have a business without getting out of the house so,one day I did it! I opened my shop on november last year and I am loving it since then!

I have learned a lot!...I thought it were going to be the easiest thing ever,just list your items and start selling,but it is more than that,you need to get out there.
I have learned that You need to create a grate brand identity,get lots of exposure,promote and that every business need a lot of work!!..it doesn't matter what you are selling or where!

Don't give up,create beautiful products that you believe on,even if you think that nobody will buy them,treat your clients like you want them to treat you and have fun!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
1. Tell us your Etsy story. How you got started in your craft and how you started selling on Etsy.

It's been a long journey for me. I was bought up with crafts, the first jewellery I ever made was friendship bracelets. Knotting the threads and making patterns. I was about 9 and even sold a few from a basket on my godmothers stall at craft fairs.
I really got into hand crafted jewellery in 1999. I taught myself the skills I needed and continued to develop until 2007 when I began exploring wire work. It wasn't enough and I wanted to make everything myself. I was introduced to lampworking and took that up in 2009.
Etsy became part of my selling life in 2010, I began adding some of my lampwork jewellery but I was still on a learning curve, I couldn't produce fast enough and when a retail store asked if they could stock my items they ended up taking my entire stock.
I finally re-opened my etsy shop on 1-1-11 and decided to take a different direction, my lampworking was taking over my jewellery making. I decided to sell my beads and offer a design service allowing customers to choose a jewellery design and the beads they wanted from my stock.

I'm certainly still in my infancy where selling online is concerned but I am enjoying it especially since this year I have given in on our local craft fairs I have more time to dedicate to etsy and really focusing on my business.

Selling online is VERY different to selling in person. It may seem easier but there is alot more work involved where promotion and selling your product is involved. You have to try and read peoples minds and answer potential questions before they are asked. You also don't have the luxury of letting the person hold or try on the product so you really have to work on stimulating a potential customers senses through words and pictures. The advantage there of course is that you can paint a more elaborate picture than in person.

Since re-opening I have tried to jump right in, the community are your mentors and customers. You can gain a lot simply by utilising all the tools available so I would say the best advice I have is to join a few teams (your country or state for local, one where everyone does what you do for specialist and handmadology for learning) Then go get involved.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

They invented the word, serendipity, for a reason. In my world, I consider it a happy accident. I was in school for fashion design, slowly becoming depressed and disillusioned with what had been my lifelong dream to become a fashion designer. So I decided I didn't need to be miserable anymore and I quit school. Luckily, I have a boyfriend who traveled and since I had all this free time, I went with him wherever he went. One of the trips we took was down to Scottsdale, Arizona, where I met this wonderful woman who sold jewelry out of a renovated 1960's Airstream trailer and dressed up as a gypsy. Talking to her and seeing all her vintage jewelry inspired something in me. Suddenly, I found myself back home creating jewelry out of all the vintage jewelry I picked up over the years but never wore.

My start at Etsy began much later than you would expect. Originally, I tried to keep a shop directly on my website, but had trouble getting traffic to it. It was literally like a lightbulb flashing and then falling on my head to wake me up moment. I realized that Etsy had so much more traffic and a tremendous amount of community support that I desperately needed as a beginning business owner. I moved and the rest is history!

I learned so much that to write a list of them would take me several posts on this thread. The biggest lesson I learned is that everything takes time. Building traffic takes time. Creating a following takes time. Getting your first, second, even fifteenth and thirtieth sale will take time. Creating a wonderful product will take time. Learning the tips to selling and managing will take time. So have patience, don't lose faith, and keep working every day or every chance you take.

Don't be afraid to go back and start over. A lot of times, when we finally manage to create a product, take pictures, post them onto Etsy, write out descriptions; we really don't want to go back and do it over and make them better. If something has been sitting for a while, don't be afraid to look at your item with a different eye and see what you can change about it- whether it be changing the actual item or retaking pictures or writing a better title. Starting over is not a waste of time, it will benefit you in the long run because you gain the opportunity to apply everything you've learned so far to every item you create and sell. That will help tremendously.

4. When a new story is published help spread the word via Twitter, Facebook , bookmarking, or blogging.

Will do! Birdcage Bohemia is both on Facebook and Twitter so we'll keep the news spreading!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
This is great! Thanks Tim for the opportunity :D

1. I had always been an artist since I am a wee kid, I went to art school and finally graduated with a degree in Multimedia Design. However, my family is not very well off, and my pocket money had always been short. So since I am young I had learned to be resourceful by utilizing my skills. I had won a few art contests when I am little - that's where I get some of my art supplies, I do art commissions on the side when I am in college, and after I graduated I delve a little in logo designs on the side as well.

When my friend got me into beading and jewelry making, I guess my resourcefulness nature kicked in and I was trying to figure out how to turn this into profit. I knew about Etsy a few years back when I first saw it on the Martha Stewart show, so I looked it up, and decided to start a jewelry shop! Besides, I need to get rid of the pieces that I made because I can't use them all. I am only one person!

2. Oh how much I have learned after starting my shop - the importance of marketing, having a consistent shop and great photos, and having a personality. However the most important thing is to stay strong and never give up! I keep a consistent activity in my shop, I try to list something new or at least renew a few listings everyday. Because I know, once the activity in your shop dies, so does your shop.

3. Have unique items, or a strong identity for your shop. Even if your shop have very few listings, if your products are striking, unique and memorable, people would still remember you.

Thanks! :)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
1. Tell us your Etsy story... how you got started in your craft and how you started selling on Etsy.
I have been an artist ever since I can remember. When I was a little girl, I used to play with my Mom's plethora of bohemian jewelry and scarves. My favorite Halloween Costume was always Gypsy. As I became a teenager, I started making jewelry with my best friend. Weekly trips downtown to the bead shop were a highlight of our young lives. As I got older, I continued making my own jewelry, especially after I moved away from home and could no longer find the type of things I enjoyed wearing in the stores. Cheap Department Store jewelry just wasn't cutting it for me. One day, as I was getting asked where I got the pair of earrings that I had made and was wearing, my boyfriend asked me why I wasn't selling them? I sort of had a "DUH" moment. As a stay at home Mom, I had been trying to figure out for years how to make a living being home with my daughters. Finally, the light bulb went on! I emailed an old friend of mine, Meadow, who I used to spend many a sunny afternoon making jewelry with in my youth, about her own shop. She was now the owner and designer of her own clothing line, Eco Chic by Meadow, which she sold on Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/ecochic). She told me all about Etsy and recommended that I check it out. All of a sudden, my lifelong dream of being an artist became a reality. I couldn't believe I hadn't known about Etsy before! What an amazing place full of inspiration, talent, and so many ways to spend all of my hard earned money!

I have been selling on Etsy for a little over a year now, and don't know what I would be doing if it was not for Etsy. My business just simply wouldn't exist. It took me a while to learn what I needed to learn, how to take good, quality pictures, evolve into making the kinds of products I dreamed about, and market my wears successfully. I now enjoy being a stay at home Mom with a growing and thriving business. I can truly say that I am an artist, and not a starving one either!

DONT GIVE UP!! Your probably not going to be an overnight success, but keep on trucking. If you love what you're doing, so will others. Read, learn, experiment and don't be afraid of failure! You learn the most from your mistakes and sometimes find your biggest successes in the most unexpected places. Join teams, network, make friends. I've made some of my best friends here on Etsy. And no matter what, your never to educated to keep learning new things.
0 Likes

Jump to solution

I remember beading with big pony beads as a kid in grade school. I went to a women's speaker group and we made bracelets as a craft project and I loved it. I starting designing jewelry and wearing it to work. Then I brought some pieces in and sold some. A coworker told me about Etsy, but I signed up and forgot for a few months and worked on my Website.
Then I started listing more, joining teams, reading Handmadeology and other successful sellers blogs. Feel free to experiment in other areas - I'm starting to work in wire wrapping healing/chakra jewelry.

Improve pictures. Take plenty on different days. Read everything from online successful sellers about running an online business. Use Craftcult and Google Analytics and your clients feedback to find out what's selling the best in your shop. Cater to your customers and provide the best service and then more. List new items often.

people too.

Join teams and promote other people's work too.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I grew up with an artistic father who was always trying something new. I think my love of trying new crafts--sewing, photography, jewelry--comes from that upbringing. I find things I love and take it as a challenge to make it myself and make it my own. I started making a few pieces of jewelry using different animal skins for myself but found that I really loved doing it! It was something calming and relaxing to me in my otherwise crazy life. I decided to start selling some of my work as I couldn't wear it all myself.

I've learned it's definitely not easy. It's not just about listing a few items and sitting back while the sales roll in! My husband is my best sounding board when it comes to business related topics, SEO, promoting, advertising, etc. He's a successful entreprenuer himself and has been the best help in figuring out how to proceed with my business.

I've been on Etsy for over a year now but still consider myself new. My advice is the one that I'm still working on myself: patience and research. Do your research, learn everything you can. The handmadeology website has been a huge help in getting me off on the right foot.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution

It really started in the early '80's when a friend and I took a papermaking class after teaching school. We were so excited that we asked to borrow the equipment, a blender and we stayed up til midnight that night making paper out of everything we could get our hands on. My boyfriend, soon-to-be-husband remembers my conversation aoubt it. Then in 1990, I took a Papermaking course at Penland in NC and was hooked on the whole process. I love the machinery that is used--a hollander beater is the dream machine, however I use a drill and paint mixer as well as a blender to make my pulp. I enjoy making noise, the quiet of the water and the rhythmic movements. I took an 18 year hiatus from production to raise my wonderful son who is in college.

I found out about etsy at a local craft fair and joined on Nov. 16 2008 under the name of paintingpam. I originally wanted to have 2 stores, one devoted to my paintings and one devoted to my paper. It was too much work. Last year at the urging of my husband and son I created a new store papermajik to focus on all aspects of paper and painting.

I have learned the the internet world is vast and complicated. You can't just put something out there and expect it to sell. It takes promotion on etsy, in real time with the people you work with, and meet everyday. I never know when a big sale is going to come or from what contact.

Yes, I agree with BirdcageBohemia- don't be afraid to start over. That's basically what I did with my new shop. And secondly, remember why you started your shop in the first place. If it's to make money, then work for your goal. If it's for exposure and fun, then pursue it and don't get bogged down when you don't make sales.

Thanks for the opportunity to share.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
These stories are so amazing!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I am loving ready everyones Etsy Story, they are all so interesting! : )
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Is there a size limit on the stories? I'd love to submit mine but it's sooooo long right now. seriously, it is 1040 words long. ???
thanks!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.