Now that you’ve done some reflecting on last year’s highs and lows, it’s time to start setting some goals. Got a big goal but don’t know where to start? Use this three-step process to break it down into manageable tasks:

http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2013/ready-to-achieve-etsy-success-start-with-an-etsy-goal/

Need to review last week's discussion? No problem!

Catch up here:
Blog post: http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2013/reflect-on-2012-t/
Discussion: https://www.etsy.com/teams/5002/etsy-success/discuss/11504259/

Look forward to reading about your goals for 2013!
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: What's Your 2013 Goal?

Jump to solution
Hello Everyone,

I'm pretty new at all of this, so I'm still trying to figure out a lot of things. My goals for this year:

- Figure out how to get traffic to my shop (its not working at all right now ...)
- Add more products
- Really focus on marketing
- I also want to take better pictures of my products that reflect my brand better. Right now it seems a bit impersonal.
- Figure out how to produce my products cheaper

Im really at the beginning, so Im taking it step by step. Glad to be part of this group and learn from y'all. Its great to know that this can all come true, when you work hard at something.

Cheers
Simona
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I opened my shop in 2008, and just had it sitting there without much input from me. I don't know how I thought I would get sales. I changed my product from greeting cards to journals. My sales increased but not as much as I wanted them to. My goals for 2013 are to list more items and use social media to drive more traffic to my site. By the end of the year increase my sales by 100 items.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Get WellspringCreations moved over to this shop and get my listings up to 100. Plus I need to work on my branding!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
2012 was my first active year of promoting my shop and now that I've made a little name for myself here are my goals for 2013:
- Sell at least 10 items a month (pushing for 25 sales a month by the end of the year)
- Create a few new lines of items including knitted housewares and mens accessories
- Incorporate more organic items (hopefully half of my shop)
- Donate a portion of my sales to a local charity
0 Likes
SomsStudio
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
My top most goal is to get more sleep.

For this I need to free myself up in the evenings earlier than normal.

NAAS is to wrap up running my 2 Etsy stores by 5pm, launch at least 1 treasury a day by 6pm, eat dinner by 7pm. Then giving my twins a bath and feeding them and putting them to sleep would kind of fall into place.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I had some big challenges as a photographer which I am certain affected my shop. I am learning how to improve and accully made my very first sale in December. I'm hoping to diversify my line in the next couple of weeks and will continue to investigate ways to show of my product in the best possible light!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
WithLoveFromLucille from WithLoveFromLucille says

My first 7 months on Etsy have been a crazy learning experience...and I must be doing something right!
* My goal is to be at 500 sales by the end of the year
* I'm brainstorming for a collection for my summer season.
* By winter, I'd like to have my shop items be organic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, I love how you're setting up your goals according to seasonal deadlines. I can envision this breaking down into a nice plan for the year head. Great job!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hello, I am new to Etsy and I am not sure how to market myself on this website and put my products out to a wider community in order to get more views and sell more. How does everyone do this? Please help I am completely new to this.

Kindly appreciate any suggestions
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Angie Hettinger from SmittenForKnittin says

My goal for 2013 (though it might be a lofty one) is to double my inventory! In turn I'm hoping this will double my sales. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solid goal Angie!
The more items you have the more chances you have to be seen!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Jennifer from WatchMeWorld says Edited on Jan 10, 2013

My top goal for this year is branding. I've struggled with that since the beginning and I really want my shop, my packaging, everything to have a nice cohesive feel so that my customers feel that their purchase was a memorable experience!

Great goal! I love the idea of tackling an area that's consistently proven a struggle. We'll be featuring branding content a bit later in the year. Until then, be sure to check out our existing resources: http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2012/the-seller-handbook/#branding

And look around! Take lessons and gather tips from those who seem to have mastered the art of branding.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Angela W from LoveVTG says

My first goal for 2013 is to have 100 listings. I have mini goals each week regarding treasuries, teams and listings, and it seems to be working for me.
-------------------------------------------------------

Oooh mini goals! I like the sound of that. Do share some examples if you can!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
TheWanderingEwe,

Certainly sounds like enough for a year. Lots of goals but manageable I think, as it sounds like you've given each a lot of thought. We'll be here to help along the way. Best of luck!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Kate Kilgus from NutfieldWeaver says

♥ Build on the success that I am having locally. The artisan fairs that I participated in during 2012 were very positive. Having my work featured in "Design New England" this January/February (a bi-monthly magazine published here in the northeast) has given my Etsy shop a significant visibility boost.

---------------------------------------
Yes, building on the successes of last year is key! Don't let the potential payoff of your accomplishments slip away. Also love the idea of being involved with your local community.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
- Continue to go through my stock to create and list more
- Increase sales
- Find more better ways to promote ( I've said this a million times) working on it though
- Shop banner
- Complete my own site
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Desiree Hobson from OnTheHook says

I have some lofty goals for 2013:

----------------------------------------------

They may be plentiful but they sound doable as well. I love that you've broken many down into tangible steps. Separating your business and personal finances, for example, requires follow through but is something you can achieve. It sounds like you're on the right track!!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
daisysgemgarden from daisysgemgarden says

Not as ambitious as some, but I want to add two items to my shop each week to increase my listings.

I disagree - this is ambitious! And even better, totally doable! Great job breaking down a large goal (stocking your shop fully) into a tangible weekly task.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
My goal for 2013 is to have 10 sales each month, minimum. I only have 4 so far total, each different so I'm not sure what my best ranges are..
I need to sort out the branding/photos without looking the same old white or grey that everyone else seems to be leaning to- eventually we'll all look the same otherwise!
Get organised and ready for xmas this year...
all do-able I hope... with a bit of work and planning.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
My over all etsy goal is to sell 10 posters a day! To get to that level I am setting my monthly goals is to double my orders each month compared to the last month until I get to the level of sales I want to achieve. To help me get to that point I want to add at least 1 new item a week, hopefully more. My over all goal is to have 125 listings by Christmas 2013!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Lisa Meehan from mamagourds says

My goal is to make more concrete goals! Really! I have oodles of love for what I do, so much so that I tend to procrastinate doing the business side of my business. When you wear all the hats it can be so challenging to stay focused.

I did want to pass on a tip that has been very beneficial to me, and that is to get out there to art fairs, festivals, farmer's markets, school events, etc., ANYTHING. I started small at a tiny farmers market, and continued to apply to bigger and better venues. This is a terrific way to build up an audience. Just promoting myself within Etsy sometimes seems like a weird feedback loop; going to shows and having lots of cards to pass out can bring lots of new people in. You also get to have feedback right away as to which items attract attention, and which ones are complete duds.

Starting at small venues helps you learn without having to fork out the big bucks.

I hear you about staying focused! It can be quite difficult. By brainstorming about your larger goals this early in the year, we are hoping you'll be able to isolate some small steps to take towards those larger goals, without getting so overwhelmed by a never ending list of to-do's.

I also love all this talk of craft fairs and local markets. While not technically on Etsy, I believe it all connects, and that building your brand presence locally can really help your business overall, on and offline. Get out there!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Aly Nickerson from ForSuchATimeDesigns says

And most important... Continue to learn how to create that work and life balance now that my Etsy shop is my full time job! ... I want to be present at work and then be present at home.
---------------------------------------------------------
Said so well!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I love the confidence, hope, and ambition here. Reading through this thread, I identified some common goals:

1. Stock your shop (many of you are hoping to double your listings!).
2. Revise your inventory: Add new products, retire ones that aren't selling.
3. Refine your prices to make sure you're making a profit (as you should!).
4. Re-shoot/refresh your photographs. Constantly working to improve your photos is a great idea.
5. Promote/market your shop.
6. Work on your branding.
7. Hone your craft.
8. Hit a specific # of sales.
9. Expand business to sell in local shops, craft fairs, even farmers markets.
10. Take your business seriously as a "business" and in doing so take it to the next level.

These are all great. We really look forward to helping you reach these goals.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
I've only been seriously looking at my shop in the last 4 months, and it has improved my outcomes soooo, these are my goals for the next two years.

Build up listings to over 100 and keep it there.
Average at least one sale a week within three months, and one sale a day within six months. Continue to grow this.
Develop bellydance clothing and seperate from accessories by opening a second shop within 12 months
Find new ways to market my wares and develop my brand
Earn my living solely from doing this, which I love, within 2 years.

If I lose my part-time day job, which looks entirely possible, this may be speeded up :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I don't seem to benefit from setting goals, since I have been on Etsy three years with only 22 sales. No matter what I do I cannot get viewers or buyers to my shop. If I didn't sell well at shows I would think it was my jewelry, so I must be doing something wrong but even though I have paid for analysis of my shop both SEO and relevancy none of the changes help. My goal would be to sell something this year, but that is like asking for a pie in the sky.

I am probably the only one who lacks confidence, hope and ambition, since that went by the wayside after two years of working every day on my shop.
0 Likes
Lindock
Post Crafter

Jump to solution
A few things on my list for 2013:
-Hire a professional graphic designer for create a logo
-offer some items that I can recreate/make multiples of
-expand my skills/learn more tricks of the trade

I also have a goal of averaging one sale a day.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
My goals for this year:
-Add two new collections;
-Add more FantaZoo pieces;
-Re-shoot "I Wish You..." collection;
-Make my about page;
-Take more care of my blog, write tutorials, works in progress posts ecc.

To increase sales is the most important goal, but it's just a consequence of the success of the other goals! So, I did'n't write it in my goals list!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.