Former_Member
Not applicable

I need advice

Its been a great week so far yesterday I had the newspaper crew come to my shop for an interview and pictures they told me for a spot in the arts and leisure section. Which is cool. The second thing that happened was a friend of mine father died 2 weeks ago and he asked me to make a box for his fathers ashes so i made him a beautiful box. Well he took it to the funeral home and he said the funeral director went nutty. I got a call yesterday from him ( funeral director ) asking me to make boxes for peoples ashes.... well I'm kinda freaked out. So now my friend says now Ill be known as the box maker to the dead I'm not sure I like that, so should I make them or not
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
36 Replies

Re: I need advice

whatever brings the money.....
0 Likes
ModernHermine
Inspiration Seeker

$$$ cha ching you'll always have business remember that.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I know its just the death thing
0 Likes
ModernHermine
Inspiration Seeker

Well David death is natural you can always keep selling online as well and people will never know you make ash boxes.

I wouldn't call them death boxes however think of a nicer sounding term like maybe...

Eco friendly memorial boxes or natural rustic resting boxes...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yes, but you are paying homage and honoring those who have passed on. I wouldn't be freaked out but pleased that the boxes will be used for such an important task.

When our beloved schnauzer passed away a couple years ago we did not keep his ashes but I did purchase a small box to keep his collar, a picture of him with my son, dog tags & a note from the vet. That box has a place of honor on my son's bookshelf.
0 Likes

I like the idea of "memorial boxes" ~ sounds like a lovely and comforting idea.

@Natasha ~ that is a wonderful way to remember your pet.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Go for it and good luck!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I like the memorial boxes idea, and I never looked at it like an honor thing thanks ladies
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You have a couple of sweet comments here - of course you should - congrats! If you don't want to be a one niche guy just keep up other purposes for your goods, although you'll probably be pretty busy! :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I also think that it's a wonderful thing you'd be offering to those who are remembering their relatives who have passed on. I don't think it'd look at it as creepy or weird at all, but as a sincere honor and a sign of your expert craftsmanship.

ETA: your work is absolutely stunning, by the way.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think it would be an honor as those are people's loved ones and they put their their precious ones on their mantles and dressers to look at and talk to.
I would look at it as helping people as obviously there is nothing like this on the market or he would know about it and I would seriously think about getting it copyrighted or trademarked whatever it is

This is pretty cool as you can bring alot of happiness during a really sad time as if there is nothing like this out there people will not feel bad about putting in some Urn that is old style and looking sort of creepy when you see one of those. It is a part of life people are born and people die
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Your work is lovely. I think you would be providing a very touching item that would be comforting to people.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Love the Memory Box idea. I also think it is a great opportunity for you. Go ahead!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Your work is absolutely incredible! I think it would be a great honor for your boxes to memorialize loved ones- a beautiful thing that will be cherished forever. You wouldn't have to market them specifically as such. It's just one of many uses for the boxes.

One word of advice, though: be sure you charge enough for your artistry and be wary if the funeral home asks for a steep discount. Know that whatever you charge, they WILL mark up the price drastically when they re-sell to grieving families. In that sense, I'd rather see you sell them directly to the customer at a fair price!
0 Likes

I agree that you should go for it -- and call them memorial boxes. It's a wonderful opportunity and you never know where it might lead. And if it makes you feel better...at the same time, pursue a project that you feel is more full of life!
0 Likes

I think it's a wonderful idea! But if you feel uncomfortable about it, that uncomfortable feeling may start to show (negatively) in your work. Test your gut instinct by making one or two very exclusive ones and then see how you feel. If you still feel it's not 'you' then I wouldn't continue, no matter how good the business.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree with Maria. If after make several you will know in your heart if its not for you!

Great product! Love em.
0 Likes

I completely agree with others that have posted. You are making "memorial boxes". Please think of this as the greatest honor. I paint ornaments and am sometimes asked to make a "memorial" ornament (example, an angel, a butterfly, a ladybug). I always feel wonderful to be able to make something so meaningful to somone else.

Beautiful things can bring a great sense of comfort, honor, respect and caring - to those who look upon them...and FOR those intended. Some may even look upon a memorial box, an urn, an ornament, etc., as their last gift to their loved ones.

And from a business perspective, this is how people fall into a niche. Not many people do what you do...so you can have a wonderful "market" almost all to yourself.
0 Likes

Memorial Boxes - Good Luck David!
0 Likes

If you're not happy with it, don't do it, it's as simple as that. If kids suddenly started loving my jewellery but wanted me to make more kiddy stuff, I wouldn't do it, because I'm not happy with that.
If you're worried about the reputation and can afford to miss out on some sales like that, then don't do it. If, however, you NEED the extra money, you might want to think on it.

Consider yourself lucky that people loved it that much. However, I totally understand your hesitation. If I were in your shoes, personally, I wouldn't do it. But that's just me.
0 Likes

I agree with the greater percentage of responders here. MEMORIAL BOXES. They can be used to memorialize whatever a buyer wants to memorialize/honor/value/treasure.............

Regarding the funeral director, ask if they would provide a flyer, photo, postcard or something of that nature to their clients, regarding your work. Set up an arrangement whereby the funeral director receives some compensation for the referral........

They are truly beautiful. You a very talented.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree with everyone else - I think it's lovely.

One word of caution though - look into whether there are any Federal or state laws regarding containers for human remains. There may be some requirements or materials you either have to or are not allowed to use.
0 Likes

Your boxes may hold ashes of the dead but the boxes are for the living. Just because some urns hold peoples ashes does it mean you can't have an urn for plants? I say 'make 'em' and sing Amazing Grace all the way to the bank!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

The funeral director probably asked because he saw that your product was quality and that it would bring comfort to those in mourning. While I understand your reservations, I think this would be a great thing for you!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.