Hi there!

When I’m creating, I need to listen to something that will motivate me to keep going. Whether I’m knitting, cross-stitching or baking, I’m always playing records to get myself in the right frame of mind.

Do you listen to music while you make? If so, what kind do you choose? Why do you listen to the songs or artists that you do? Do they amp you up and get you excited to take on the day? Do they drive you to create more? Do you prefer music that calms you when things are stressful? Does it help keep you focused? Do you listen to music that will entertain you when work feels monotonous? Do you like something with a good beat to dance to when you need a little break?

What are some songs or artists you often play in the studio? Share your thoughts and music recommendations in this thread!
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: What music do you listen to while you make?

I have Spotify on most the time with a "coding" playlist. I must admit that I am one of those people that when I find a song I really like I will play it ALL DAY. Headphones are a must when the fam is home. Sometimes I will listen to a pre-made station to find new songs to add to my list...but otherwise it just repeats.

It's a mixture of country (Sangria, John Deer, John 3:19), Pink, Taylor Swift, Rihanna...that type of thing :)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

I usually listen to music like Lindsay Sterling or Piano type music. Pandora Radio helps a lot because I can just turn it on my station and just play it. Before I realize it I have so much stuff done. Music is very motivating.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Deva Premal Gayatri mantra :)
0 Likes

I like reading what everyone is listening to because I'm always running out of music to listen to in my studio!
0 Likes

The Eighties : )
0 Likes

I love dancy music and currently I absolutely love listening to the Eric Chapman dance remixes on youtube while creating, they get me in a real party mood, definitely recommend them if you like dance music!
0 Likes

Rock :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I only listen to music when I paint my watercolors. It really helps you put mood and feeling in your paintings. If you paint and have not tryed it do it. I paint the most to The last of the Mohicans, Dare to dream Yanni, Ennio Morricone The legendary Italian Westerns , One upon a time in the west and flute music. I have won a lot of award on my painting with this music, I just did a painting for one of my customer who likes jazz music. She wanted an abstract so I used squares and I painted colors I felt while I listened to jazz. It came out great and she loved it. really got the mood of jazz in the painting.
0 Likes

Headphones are always on when I am in the studio! I mostly listen albums that are (or seem like) one endless track. For me, the less breaks or start/stops the better for my process - it helps me get into the zone and with little subconscious interruptions. And then there is always my regular favorites that bring me back to a time or place that puts me in that same creative zone.

I would say hands down the top go-to band for me is Between the Buried and Me.
0 Likes

I like listening to Spanish or Latin music, specially Latin Rock for the 80's.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Coffee shop music, super relaxing and calming :) Or if that gets wayyy too calm, light pop is pretty good too.
0 Likes
misskukie
Inspiration Seeker

At the moment I'm playing James Bay and Jamie Woon up and down.

But anything that I can sing along with is great ; ))
0 Likes

Classic Rock! I'm stuck in the 70's....
0 Likes
Narais
Crafty Poster

A different kind of genres! meditation, jazz, soul, classic, rock, pop, brasilian, house...and radio !
:)
0 Likes

Local radio , different style . I need music in my workshop , can not work without :)

So much more fun ....

Keep up the good work everyone !!!

Geert
0 Likes

Jimmy Buffett! What can I say? I'm a Parrothead.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I usually put in a TV series DVD...British murder mysteries usually. Listening to the show instead. Sometimes Opera or Classical vocal music.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love listening to music while I'm creating or designing. It really helps get my creative juices flowing. I listen to Pandora on shuffle. Mostly 80's, 90's but a mix of everything really.
0 Likes

I listen to 70's funk music. We have Sirus XM radio and listen to Studio 54 channel. I was a kid when these songs first came out. I take a picture of the radio with the singer and mae of the song. I look for it on my tablet. I'm jammin'. I also watch YouTube documentaries on my tablet.
0 Likes
MartiandCompany
Inspiration Seeker

Mumford & Sons
0 Likes

world music or acoustic mostly.

These days, I listen to documentaries on youtube while I work. I love listening to stories and gaining random information while I'm creating.
0 Likes
dollsandmagic
Inspiration Seeker

First, I have to be in the mood for whatever I'm listening to or working on. I don't like to force anything. That being said, I like all sorts of good music. I used to teach and played classical. I find I can do anything with classical, from studying to reading. I can't listen to music with words when reading, as my mind is distracted by singing along. I like lute, particularly Ronn McFarlane, but I also like piano, like Danny Wright. But, you can't really go wrong with Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy, or Mozart. I'm also a big cello fan. I'm not always in the classical mood though. I love to dance. I usually don't listen to classical if I'm painting, sculpting, or sewing. I like, (in no particular order),: Radiohead, The Cure, Fred Astaire, George Harrison, Stevie Nicks, Preservation Hall, Maggie Sansone, and especially, my favorite: Kate Bush...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Music is number one. On some occasions, I also enjoy listening to stand-up comedy, documentaries, sports, & audio books while I am creating.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I actually don't listen to music while I create, Instead I listen to broadcasts from Creative Live and try to soak in business details to help improve my listings and sales.
0 Likes

most of the time, I listen to Joyce Meyer teachings, and sometimes I listen to jazz and acoustic music...
love it!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.