What music do you listen to while you make?

Hi there!

When I’m creating, I need to listen to something that will motivate me to keep going. Whether I’m knitting, cross-stitching or baking, I’m always playing records to get myself in the right frame of mind.

Do you listen to music while you make? If so, what kind do you choose? Why do you listen to the songs or artists that you do? Do they amp you up and get you excited to take on the day? Do they drive you to create more? Do you prefer music that calms you when things are stressful? Does it help keep you focused? Do you listen to music that will entertain you when work feels monotonous? Do you like something with a good beat to dance to when you need a little break?

What are some songs or artists you often play in the studio? Share your thoughts and music recommendations in this thread!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
2 Likes
1,724 Replies

Re: What music do you listen to while you make?

Cat Empire always get me revved up in the morning but then I have to put podcasts on and listen to chit chat or I keep jiggling around too much to the music whilst I'm trying to draw! :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I like to listen to music often. I like Big Band and jazzy types of sounds. Very peaceful and relaxing.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I listen to indie college radio (Vassar radio) they have great shows with a wide variety of different genres of music.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I personally like pop music, It is upbeat and keeps me moving, although I usually am watching a Lifetime movie or one of the Law & Orders. ;)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh, I have very diverse tastes in music.

All the mood and employment. For example, when I make - love the classics, especially Hachaturjana Armen, songs Dmitri Hvorostovsky.

When cleaning the house - I like to listen to Ukrainian band Okean Elzy, Queen, the Scorpions
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I really like listening to my Miranda Lambert station on iHeart Radio. It's always upbeat and keeps me feeling super pumped to keep crocheting! I also like to watch Friends on Netflix while crocheting.
0 Likes

I am a country music fan, and I will listen to it in the evenings (after hubby goes to bed) while I crochet, felt or write. If I had a separate studio I would have it turned on in there all of the time. I do crochet while watching TV, but when I am making something that requires total concentration music is the way to go.
0 Likes
isewcute
Crafty Poster

I listen to all kinds of music depending on my mood... if you were to walk into my studio one week you may hear Jethro Tull, and another week a Brandenburg Concerto. Music is like air...I live & breathe it!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

House music :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love all kinds of music, just depends on my mood but I love to listen to Pink Martini and anything of their genre of music, it makes me feel like I am traveling the world!
0 Likes

Although I am almost 62 years old, I listen to pop music while I sew..I need the upbeat tempos to get me going!
0 Likes

I've got to put a plug in for streaming music from WFUV.org, very eclectic mix of music from the NYC college-based radio station.

It's always good stuff!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Music is life. I listen to almost all genres... Depending on my mood, it can be Classical, Rock, Folk, Blues etc. I am very lucky to have 2 children who are musicians, and their music ranks at the very top of my list :)))
0 Likes

I love listening to music on my record player while I design my patterns!

Some of my favourites are The Black Keys, Lana Del Rey, The Shins, Best Coast, Lorde and Weezer. I'm also a massive fan of soundtracks especially Pulp Fiction, Death Proof, The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Darjeeling Ltd
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My music tastes are all over the place! I love everything from ABBA to Asking Alexandria, which is definitely a weird combo. Recently though, its been a lot of Halestorm.
0 Likes

I have recently been listening to more podcasts than music. I'm enjoying the "company" (being a solo shop owner can be a bit lonely at times) and I'm learning a lot too. But if I need to get motivated to do some listings, I crank up Jesse J!
0 Likes

Anything with a good rhythm and no vocals in English, because I find I attend to the meaning of the words and get distracted.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I like Old School Motown music when i'm making my jewelry.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love gospel and inspirational music. Anthony Brown and Group Therapy, Donnie McClurkin, Kirk Franklin, Anita Wilson!
0 Likes

I love Italian 80s music.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It depends what I'm doing! If I'm designing, I listen to classical: no vocals to confuse my math. :-). When I'm cutting or ironing I listen to Swing or blues, and when I'm long arm quilting I sing musicals to keep a nice rhythm (plus the machine drowns out my singing, so everybody wins!).
0 Likes
thelotusbloomco
Inspiration Seeker

I mostly listen to audiobooks, but when I do listen to music it's across the board, hip-hop, pop, R&B, and on and on.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

80's soft rock or classical music.
0 Likes
pbClocks
Crafty Poster

I like listening to 70's and 80's classic rock via replays of Casey Kasem's American Top 40 countdown and Bill St James Timewarp. However, the local radio stations here overlap the two programs so I usually record one on cassette tapes (remember those?). How appropriate, given my shop focus being only on vintage restored clocks and metronomes.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.