Hi there,

Making my first sale to a complete stranger was such an indescribable feeling. Up until then, all of my customers had been friends or family members. As soon as I saw the order, I immediately texted my best friend and then rushed to ship the item out.

How did you make your first sale to a stranger? I’m working on a potential article for the Seller Handbook, and I want to hear from you. Was there a turning point in your shop that led to it? Maybe you had an epiphany about how to shoot better product photos or perhaps you revamped your titles and tags. Or maybe you changed course and started selling a new product. Whatever the change, big or small, tell us about what led to your first sale.

If I’m interested in learning more about your experience, I’ll reach out to you directly. Excited to hear your stories and tips!

Thanks y’all,
Tess

Re: How did you make your first sale?

Got several sales for the first time in awhile here. I just tried used promoted listings, and assume they helped me get more views! Cheers!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi,

I Opened my shop for 18 days and i have not sold yet. Could you gíve me some advice what i have to change in my shop that i can sell? Thank for any advice.

Beáta
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I made my first sale during the holidays a few years ago. It was a custom ornament I believe. It felt so great!!
0 Likes
3buu
Post Crafter

My first sale was in 2014 after 4 months that I had opened my shop, sales have increased over time to almost disappear in this last year found -50% from 2016, Dicember 0 sales.
Etsy What Happens!
0 Likes

Hi friends. I opened a shop 2 weeks ago. No sales, don't know why. My English via Google Translator. I think to do a discount on 2 purchases. Please advise how you can attract to make the purchase.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/564628242/lace-cuff-bracelet-2018-christmas-art?ref=shop_home_active_1
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have tried Etsy on and off for years, but have not had a lot of sales. I am giving it the one last college try and really trying to make a huge effort. Changed my store name, etc to hopefully make some sales. I have only sold a few pdf files so far but still hoping.
0 Likes

My first sale was for a nursery. I put up listings of covers I had already made for customers before I opened my Etsy shop. I thought I had to sell things that were ready made. I would have had to take over an entire room of our house just to store my inventory so that was not practical. When I learned by looking around at other Etsy shops, some were "custom" orders, I knew I could do that.

It was really by accident someone found me and I think I got two orders the same week for custom bench seat cushions. It was very exciting.

In the meantime, when I was sulking about how long it takes to get an order, I didn't give up but posted to threads. It brought people to my shop and some things got a "favorite" trophy so in turn more people could find me. I feel I am once again at a starting point for orders after feeling overwhelmed and taking a short break, turning potential customers away. (My mother-in-law died and it took a toll on me. That and spending time with many grandchildren I get to enjoy, a big project I was in charge of at our church and other things taking a back seat to running my shop. I had to turn that around.)

Keep adding listings, post many photos and especially good quality close ups (I need work on my photos), and marketing. It helps to have a website. I get at least a third of my visitors coming to my Etsy shop from my website.

I am looking forward to another "first" order after my long break. I feel it may not be until after the new year. I am under 200 listings, that I used to have, and it seems that "magic" number makes a difference too. Not sure.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just got my first sale yesterday!!!!! --- I sold my MN Wild hockey decal to a lady in Orlando FL!!! --- I got so send Minnesota love to Florida!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think it was pure luck because I don't know what I'm doing.

So I want to ask the group a favor. I am brand new to Etsy and only made my very first sale just yesterday.

I was wondering if anyone could visit my shop and tell me what you think. I could use any advice and help that you can offer. I have been painting for over 70 years. I am now 84 years old and this is all so new to me.

Here's the link:

etsy.com/shop/byMarilynWalters?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Thanks so much!
Marilyn
0 Likes
TetianasPainting
Inspiration Seeker

0 Likes
TetianasPainting
Inspiration Seeker

0 Likes
TetianasPainting
Inspiration Seeker

0 Likes
TetianasPainting
Inspiration Seeker

0 Likes
ChasteStore
Registered Buyer

My first sale was in person. I brought a few of my skirts for my Aunt to see and she bought one ::)
0 Likes

I posted something I made for myself to a fb group and people wanted it also. I had several sales my first week.
0 Likes

I am very excited when I see first sale..
I sent immediately the next day..I have checked the address many times.

I did not write the wrong tracking number etsy I got information from my friends..I did everything right..
I followed the tracking number too much from the receiver :) :)..

but my first sale was lost during cargo:( :(..
I am very surprised that.......I was very upset
Money did not matter.I was in a difficult situation against the buyer..

my first sale was exciting and intriguing :) :)

0 Likes

My first sale was yesterday. Finally after opening my shop a week after new year this year. It was from my penpal who is living in Michigan, US. i thought he was kidding that he said to buy something for me then the next day, i saw an email telling me for my first sale. I was super happy. I thought i would nnever make it. Although it was from my friend, im still happy. Hope to make more sales sooner!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello! I just opened my shop, I got some views, but still didnt sell anything
You can visit my shop
https://www.etsy.com/es/shop/LovelyRachelEars?ref=seller-platform-mcnav
0 Likes
kellywestart
Inspiration Seeker

Haven't made my first sale yet - I'm just going to keep moving forward: listing items, interacting with people in real life and within teams on Etsy. Also, social media posts and interacting with people on social media has become such an important part of running a business in this era! I'm also going to set up my website, and include a blog - I've found that sharing personality when running a business or an Etsy shop is a very important ingredient to meeting wonderful people and providing them with a great overall experience. Happy selling!
0 Likes
1AEON
Inspiration Seeker

I waited for a minute before my very first sale. Then it was some silence after that, for a while:)
Then it slowly picked up. It felt amazing and unbelievably empowering.
Such a supercharge that carried me to the next sale, and the next one after that. Now I think it was a very important moment.
0 Likes

made my 1st sale was tickled to death
0 Likes

I think it was $95 for a cotton crocheted blanket. It was a long time ago, so I'm not 100% sure. :-)
0 Likes
Meberr
Inspiration Seeker

It was almost one month after opening the Etsy shop, I didn´t want any friend to buy me through Etsy, I was determined to get the first sale optimizing my SEO the most that I could.
When I got the 1st sale I was really happy but the payment took a while to get proccesesd, I thought she changed her mind and cancelled the payment hahaha.
At the end everithing went smooth and she gave me a 5 star review.
It was one month ago, I´m just starting and still learning but as a first experience it was really encouraging
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i am very happy to get my first sale here. feeling so good. yesterday i was working on my shop. suddenly my phone sounds so i checked. i saw there is a order notification, it was really amazing.

i will contrapuntally work hard to share my quality products in reliable prices .

Have a great day.

Best Regards,
BeBoldJewellery
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.