How did you make your first sale?

Hi there,

Making my first sale to a complete stranger was such an indescribable feeling. Up until then, all of my customers had been friends or family members. As soon as I saw the order, I immediately texted my best friend and then rushed to ship the item out.

How did you make your first sale to a stranger? I’m working on a potential article for the Seller Handbook, and I want to hear from you. Was there a turning point in your shop that led to it? Maybe you had an epiphany about how to shoot better product photos or perhaps you revamped your titles and tags. Or maybe you changed course and started selling a new product. Whatever the change, big or small, tell us about what led to your first sale.

If I’m interested in learning more about your experience, I’ll reach out to you directly. Excited to hear your stories and tips!

Thanks y’all,
Tess
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
11 Likes
394 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: How did you make your first sale?

Hi! I just opened my shop, I got some views, but still didnt sell anything... I am really looking to see what people write in here.
Thank you for the post!
6 Likes

I'm in the same boat!

2 Likes

I’m new I just opened my shop a month ago. I made my first sale 2 days after opening. I haven’t made any sales since but I’m excited to start a new year and leaning more about how the Esty platform works best. I make wreaths and door hangers. I cut my own door hangers and then paint them. I sold two falling grapevine Christmas wreaths. I was waking thru Lowe’s when I got the notification I had made a sale. I got nervous and excited I was not expecting to make a sale so soon.  I rushed over to get boxes to ship with went home realized my wreath was not as easy to ship as I thought. I had not looked into what the true cost to ship 7lb wreaths could be. Looking back that’s such a huge part of being a seller rookie mistake to not know how to ship my products. I rushed to Julie’s site (Southern Wreath Charns) she’s who led me to being a seller at Esty. She had a full tutorial on how to score your box to ship your wreaths. Thank you Julie she’s a true inspirationand such a big support. I figured it out and was able to ship both wreaths off the next day at 40 bucks vs 158 bucks had I not leaned how to score my box. I think the Esty is a great community and place for anyone to grow your business I could have found. I look forward to my second sale 

1 Like
Former_Member
Not applicable

My first sale (of 2 friendship bracelets) happened to me within 4 weeks after opening my shop when I was expecting it the least. Since my views were rather low I went on vacation from Austria to Greece and forgot to put my shop into holiday mode because I really wasn't expecting anything.
So at some point during my week away from home I was lying in the sun next to the pool and my partner was surfing online. I asked him to borrow me his smartphone so I could check my mails, not really expecting anything and taadaa there it was between a lot of other unimportant mails: the "you got your first etsy sale" mail.
I was super happy jumping up and down and then I realised that I had to wait another 4 or 5 days until I could rush to the PO and mail the order out.
At the next WLAN hotspot I wrote my customer a message apologizing for not being able to immideately ship and thankfully she was understanding. The sale went to South Korea so 2 or 3 more days didn't make any difference.
Ever since then I have notifications all over my shop telling people that shipping might be delayed due to vacation.
Thank God for WLAN :-)
5 Likes

I'm going to have to claim pure, dumb luck. Looking back at my first sales, my photographs were atrocious! I really only opened my shop to destash my supplies since quitting the craft show circuit after 15 years. I guess I got the sales bug, because I'm still here and continue to add new products. I got somewhat serious about my shop about 2 years ago. Last year I was able to quit my job thanks to years of saving for retirement and my Etsy sales.
8 Likes

I told everyone I knew and made business cards and passed them out. My first sale was to the sister of someone I had told. She bought a crow! I shipped it out immediately. She was nice enough to give me a good review too. I got my next sale of another crow to a complete stranger. I am guessing, based on that review.
3 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

These storeys are very nice, I guess eventually it happens!I just think it's so difficult to sell when people don't know if they can trust you or not... We will see!
5 Likes
JanuarysVintage
Inspiration Seeker

Just keep on keeping on and don’t get discouraged. I have been on Etsy for years, but only recently became a seller. I am still learning the ropes and taking all the advice I can get. As well as reading FAQ and forums.  I finally sold my the very first item I posted. I will admit, I didn’t make much of a profit after S + H , but it’s all a learning experi nice. Rome wasn’t built overnight! Best of luck! 

7 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I literally joined and opened my Etsy Shop on Thusday March 2nd and got my first sale on March 3rd. I wasn't expecting it SOOO SOON but I am grateful and happy.

My feelings ranged from very happy to completely scared. I didn't know if I was ready, the reality of everything had set in and felt a bit insecure. Like who is this person? Would they like my product? I know my product is good and my intentions are good, but you never know.

@CraftSupplyHouse: That's amazing, that's kinda how I felt/feel: pure, dumb luck. Like only three people know I make this product and that my shop was up and running. But it must be more than pure, dumb luck. Feels like it's meant to be. :)
5 Likes

The first sale I made was back in 2012! I can't believe it's been that long!

I had been painting for quite a few years already, but had decided to give Etsy a try after one of my college advisors had encouraged me to start selling my work - he basically made me feel like the sky was my limit. I posted my first work of art, an original painting of a fawn. I had it matted and everything, and within 3 weeks of posting it a nice individual from Texas purchased it for $40. It was so exhilarating! I couldn't believe it. I was 18.

I've since made 43 more sales in the 5 years I've been on Etsy, and trying to gear my shop up to sell more. I love this community and wouldn't give it up for the world.
5 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello! I started my shop again! with new products! This is my chance to start something amazing! It´s so exciting to see how everyday I have more people coming to my shop! Hopefully I will have a sale soon!! fingers cross!

I invite you to see my shop! http://etsy.me/2mCo4wb
3 Likes

Hello!
My store has been opened my for a year and half.
My first purchase from stranger was 5 weeks later after opening.
At that time, I didn't know about SEO and a lot of things. I didn't use a lot of words. My photos were not good at all.
Luckily, I sold some items. Maybe they were one of a kind items.
My first international order was a year later.
Fortunately, I have some repeat customers and good reviews now.

It is hard to sell with no review. It is definitely helping new stores that family or friends leave reviews.

My English is not perfect, however communicating with customers are very important. I try my best with respect as much as possible.

Joining etsy teams was very nice.

Thank you.

5 Likes

Hello! My first sale was a special order after a few weeks I opened my Etsy shop. An australian stranger asked me to make a brooch version of a poppy pendant. I was very happy that she had confidence in me even I hadn't any sale yet! She also left me a nice feedback.
4 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

The story about my first sale o a stranger is quite funny.

I had opened maybe a couple of months before, and my shop was not going very well (as it still does).

Between others I am selling customised salt and pepper shakers, that can be used as cake toppers. At the time that was the only article I was selling, and I had very few listings.

I received a message from a woman asking me if I could customise them to make my queen. Now, I live in Denmark, but I am Italian, so I was quite confused by that question. I replied explaining that, and she ordered a first couple of shakers with the Queen and Prince of Denmark, and another with the Italian Prime Minister and his wife. i was so touched by this request, because she let me put my own personal history in this first sale.

The day after the Italian prime minister resigned :D. After a quick chat she decided to get instead the Belgian King and Queen. I smile every time I think about that :)
3 Likes

My first sale was to a complete stranger, two months after I open my store and list 48 items. It was a hand painted stone with some henna designs in a heart shape. When I realised that I started to dance in the living room giving some jumps and everything (but don't tell anyone). 😋
2 Likes

My first salke was actually a trade with another Etsy shop. She sought me out and we worked out a trade to help promote each other.
3 Likes

Wow, that's a really good IDEA! =D)

0 Likes

Still very new to Etsy. My other life is in politics, so I have a lot of contacts in those circles. I have shifted focus to an item that is associated with political protests, and had the link to my shop on a political forum. I sold one of those items to a member there.

I also have jewelry and I'm trying to feature that more.
2 Likes

How very clever! =D)

I studied International Affairs in college. 

0 Likes

My first sale was to a complete stranger one week after opening my shop. I couldn't believe she picked my shop to buy her Moana inspired Mickey ears to wear to Disneyland! She also left a really great review. Just thinking about my creation being worn to Disneyland makes me tear up. I know, I'm a sap :)
2 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi everyone!

My first sale happened very recently! I just opened my shop mid-february and got my first sale ever (and from a stranger) less than 4 weeks after my opening. I was so excited! I literally rushed straight after getting the email notification to start preparing the order for shipping.
Before my first sale, I had, what I believe, is some decent traffic but with time, I started almost doubting what I was doing and if my items would actually get noticed in the pool of Etsy's beautiful creations. I spent a lot of time taking the pictures, tweaking back and forth my item descriptions, my policies, etc. I also learned about teams and found many encouragements in them which I am very grateful for. I also focused on tags to ensure that people would have more chances of finding me. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary other than keep going back everyday to my shop and working very hard on aligning it with my vision of it.
It is my only sale so far and I learned so much from the experience. I am really looking forward to (and hoping for) my next order, as I thoroughly enjoy writing handwritten notes to my buyers. It makes me really happy to see my favorite vintage pieces travel the world. In a sense, I live vicariously through them.

Thank you for allowing us to share our stories! I had a lot of pleasure reading everyone else's.

Good luck to everyone! And to Etsy sellers who haven't sold their first item yet, keep working hard on your shop and don't give up! Trust me, it will eventually happen. There are people who will fall in love with your items, they just have to find you first :)
4 Likes

The first sale came when I discovered here teams and shared my items.
3 Likes

It was completely random and when I wasn't even thinking about it. When I first opened shop, I had listed one (JUST ONE) painting on Etsy on a whim and then forgot about it. A couple of months later, it sold. I had all but forgotten about it up until that point, but once that sale happened I was hooked. Now here I am years and many many sales later!
2 Likes

I am dreaming about my first sale and hope it will be soon :)
5 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.