Former_Member
REVISED SEO TEAM POST:

Keyword Research Tool for More Views: Google Adwords Keyword Planner

Most searches on the Internet, including searches within Etsy, start with words called keywords. Words or phrases describing your product or service that you choose to help determine when and where your listings appear in Etsy Relevancy searches.

The keywords you choose are used to show your listings to shoppers. Select high-quality, relevant keywords for your listings to help you reach only the most interested shoppers, who are more likely to become your customers.

When someone searches on Etsy or on Google, your listing could be eligible to appear based on the similarity of your keywords to the shopper's search terms. Keywords are also used to match your ad to sites in the Google Network that are related to your keywords and ads.

A great keyword list can help improve the relevance and views of your listings. Find great keywords that shoppers use by using a keyword researdh tool like Google Adwords Keyword Planner.

Many people don't know how to use the Google Adwords Keyword Planner. Everyone wants good SEO and this is a good way to research keywords phrases not only for your listings titles, but also for your tags, main shop page, section names, and About page.

But before you begin, please watch this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAIcO9Uogq0

1. Create a gmail account.
2. Go to adwords.google.com or put in Google Adwords in the search bar.
3. Click on Create an Account
4. ***Very important step here*** Click on the blue highlighed words: SKIP GUIDED TOUR
5. Either click on the tab that says TOOLS and go down to keyword planner OR you might come to a page that says the following on the left side of the screen: Find new keywords and get search volume data. Click on the top box that says: Search for new keywords using a phrase, website or category.
6. Go to the first box and start entering keyword ideas. Make sure you either hit enter after each keywordcategory. For example: jewelry, bracelets, clothing, art, etc.
7. Ignore the 2nd box totally.
8..Go down to the 3rd box that says: Enter or select a product
9. After you have exhausted your ideas, then go to the blue box at the bottom that says: Get Ideas.
10 Google Adwords will show you a blue graph at the top of the page and there will be 2 tabs: Ad group ideas (the default) and Keyword ideas.
11. If you click on the tab that says keyword ideas, Google Adwords will take you to all the ideas you have entered. On the right side you will see a column that says: Avg monthly searches. In that column are numbers for those searches. This is the only thing you'll need. The rest of it is for people wanting to buy Google Ads.
12. Ad group ideas have lists in categories by relevance in blue with a little number next to it. This number will tell you how many keywords are in that category. The avg. monthly searches in this group adds up to the total of the number within that list. When you click on the blue highlighted category, it will show you other keywords (and often long tail keywords) and the avg; monthly searches for each individual keyword. The "L" with the jagged line is the bar graph for each word and category. You can use this as a reference point to see how well that keyword or group of keywords performed in the last 12 months. It can help you make a determination as to whether or not the keyword is viable.

You can always add keywords by clicking on: Modify search in the upper right hand corner next to: Get ideas. Up at the top is a small box that has all the ideas that was originally entered. You can also add more keywords ideas there. Just remember to put a comma and a space between each keyword idea.

13 You can download the list of keywords for future reference under the down arrow key and download tab. The list of keywords can be opened in a spreadsheet program such as Microsoft Excel and sorted into alphabetic order, average monthly search count or any other order that you would like.

Re: Keyword Research Tool for More Views: Google Adwords Keyword Planner

I have just started using Google Keyword Planner. I have got everything set. (thanks Mary for the easy to follow instructions). I now have a list of keywords downloaded and sorted by the highest monthly views. I am not sure what criteria to use to choose the best keywords from the list I now have.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Thank you so much, Mary, for this tool. It is something I never would have found on my own and is a big help. At last I can see whether people are actually searching under the tags I use.
0 Likes

They must have changed the page because I can only access the payment option, I can't override it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi, Mary! Thanks for explaining this step by step!
0 Likes

Hi Mary,

Trying to use the Adwords keywords in my listings and wondering if I am supposed to use commas and if so where do you recommend placing them. I am used to writing my descriptions like I talk.
0 Likes

Hi Mary, Thank you so much for this information. Ive been changing titles and tags for days like a maniac. Hoping to see a big change in views and sales. Fingers crossed.
0 Likes
ChatonMaison
Inspiration Seeker

Hi Mary!!! How arte you!

First of all, sorry for my rudmentary english, I´m from Argentina, and my mother tongue is spanish :D

Thank you very very much for this usefull informations and tips. I usually work with Keyword ideas for my argentinian site, but ever cross of my mind to use it for my etsyshopp

I have only one doubt, I hope you can help me with that. Why do you recommend to ignore the second box? Why don´t fill with the etsypage?

Thank U!
Have great sales
Luciana
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hola Luciana,

Escribe bien in ingles. Hay no problemas. Pudeo hablar y escribir asi, asi. La segunda caja es para negosios que quiere usar Google Adwords por publicidad. Principalmente, no applica en esta situacion porque busca palabras esencial a sus titlos de Etsy. Lo puede hacer sin uso la segunda caja.

Gracias por permitirme practicar mi espanol con usted.

Lo siento--no acentos (tildes??)

Mary

0 Likes
ChatonMaison
Inspiration Seeker

Hola Mary!!!

Muchas gracias por la respuesta y la explicación. Escribes muy bien el español! Puedes practicar conmigo cuando gustes, sera un placer.

Yo necesito practicas en ingles ;)

Besos!
Luciana

0 Likes

Hi Mary,

Thank you this really helped me.. I just want to know if you can recommend if I use the keywords that pull high or low competition? I would think high but somewhere I read low is better..
Please help.. Thank you in advance...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Valerie-

The competition on Google Adwords is ONLY for those who want to do an ad campaign. You don't need that information for Etsy.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hello Mary,
Thank you very much for your very precise post ! I read it some weeks ago and finally found time to do the keywords search.
My niche is very small so there is no upsetting news here, but still, it's good to have confirmation, + insight about the volume of searches.
0 Likes

Mary, when looking at starting my own web site, one of the tech advisors, at one site, showed me where to add meta data and titles to photos to help with SEO.
On my computer, I have the ability to add a title and tags to each photo, but have no idea if it is metadata and goes with the photo or not (Apple IOS photos program), imports with the photo to Etsy, and is seen by Google, or not. Just wondering if I should start adding all this data to at least my first photo that shows up in search.
Thanks.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Becky,

The tags you add to your photos on your computer are not the same as the title tag, meta tags and image tags on your website. You will have to add those tags to your website.

The tags and files names you assign to your photos are not imported into Etsy. Etsy creates the title tag from the first part of the listing title, the description meta tag from the first 140 characters of the listing description and the image ALT tag from the listing title. Use good keywords in these places for best Google SEO.
0 Likes

Sooooo, sigh, trying to straighten out Google vs Etsy. If I add extra things at the end of a listing title, such as vintage farmhouse decor. Totally ar keywords. Does Etsy see those in the title as well as tags, should I leave that out of the title and only have item names?
Also, are they messing with the search again? Or are low views etc due to the site change? Very obvious on Google analytics as to when my shop was switched.
Do you have a discussion of pro's and cons of having your own web site along with etsy?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Becky,

It is a good idea to have your own website in addition to your Etsy shop. You should not drop your Etsy shop completely. Etsy is highly SEOed and is at the top of thousands of search queries on Google and other search engines. As a result, your shop receives a lot of free search engine visitors that you would not see in your own website until you have taken care of all the SEO work which could take a year or two. There a lot more SEO work on your own website than on your own Etsy shop.

Join my free Facebook SEO Salon Group for discussions about SEO and Web design.
0 Likes

Thank you so much. The link to the youtube video is an important step, don't skip it. I encourage anyone having trouble to view the video first.

0 Likes
ZuzkasDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Hi,

I would appreciate an input on my search results. I am selling beaded leather wrap bracelets and use the words Chan Luu in my description, text and tags. I used to see at my STATS page that people are looking for the words Chan Luu. It used to be my #1 statistical word. However, now for about 1 month this phrase has not been showing up at all when I look what people are searching within my store. Would anyone know possible reasoning?

Thank you,

Zuzka with Zuzka's Designs

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ZuzkasDesigns
0 Likes

Excellent advice, thanks so much :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Zuzka,

Sometimes views for certain names or words go up and down in popularity.

Chan Luu is a registered and trademarked jewelry brand. You should not be using it.
0 Likes

I dusted off an old gmail account and found my way to this tool. Thanks for this!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

so helpful reading the above comments. I get overwhelmed to tears when I try to understand all of this.
I did craft shows for 30 years and due to a long term illness and continuing health issue I am desperate to find a way to sell a few of my pieces online. ( ie..make a small living).
I will try again after going through your instructions.! Thank you!
MM
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

ok!
So! this is how much I don't know. what do I do with the keywords ???
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Mary. It looks like Google have closed the work around "SKIP GUIDED TOUR". The link is still there, but directs you back to the setting up new campaign page. I have followed your instructions to the letter, but Google have clearly sussed this work around. Also confirmed on numerous web pages and blogs too. Any ideas?
0 Likes

Alan, I found this also, but you can still use the "keywords" area. Under the setting up campaign, section #2 Choose a target audience, third paragraph KEYWORDS. Click on the pencil to edit, you can X out what is there and then add your own keywords, separating them with a comma, click on add. :)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.