On top of my "real" job and my etsy shops, I also work part-time at a Canada Post outlet, for 4 years now. I'm very knowledgeable about all things related to shipping. I can be your resident expert! Ask away and I will do my best to answer clearly.

jackie ♥

Here's the original post from a forum thread I started before etsy did the shut-down to teams :( It describes CP's rate increases for 2011, which took effect on January 17th.

Like clockwork, Canada Post is raising their rates as of January 17th. I work at the post office part-time so I thought I would give my fellow Canadians a head's up. Here's a link to the complete list of new rates including all the price tables you could ever want (a very helpful sleep aid for insomniacs!).

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/ (click on the red "new prices" button)

I'm not sure how bad the increase is for domestic and US Expedited parcel rates, but here are the new Lettermail, Oversize Lettermail, Light Packet, and Small Packet rates.

Lettermail (max 24.5 X 15.6 X .5cm):
Canada >>
0.59 (0-30g)
1.03 (31-50g)
USA >>
1.03 (0-30g)
1.25 (31-50g)
International >>
1.75 (0-30g)
2.50 (31-50g)

Oversize Lettermail (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
Canada >>
1.25 (0-100g)
2.06 (101-200g)
2.85 (201-300g)
3.25 (301-400g)
3.50 (401-500g)
USA >> (printed matter only)
2.06 (0-100g)
3.60 (101-200g)
7.20 (201-500g)
International >> (printed matter only)
4.10 (0-100g)
7.20 (101-200g)
14.40 (201-500g)

Light Packet (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
USA >> 4% increase over 2010
2.36 (0-100g)
4.92 (101-250g)
7.91 (251-500g)
International >> 3.5% increase over 2010!
4.60 (0-100g)
9.25 (101-250g)
15.80 (251-500g)

Small Packet (max L + W + H = 90cm)
USA >> 7.5% increase over 2010!
Surface 5.85 (0-250g)
Airmail 7.46
Surface 8.35 (251-500g)
Airmail 9.90
Surface 12.41 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 15.36
International >> (rates vary according to the country.. please see zone and rate tables through the link above. Amounts below are for shipments to the United Kingdom, zone 02 - surface rates are 10% higher than 2010, airmail rates are 8% higher, except in the 1-2kg category)
Surface 6.54 (0-250g)
Airmail 8.53
Surface 8.95 (251-500g)
Airmail 17.06
Surface 15.02 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 33.45
Surface 21.07 (1-2kg)
Airmail 50.26

I don't know about you, but I am really bummed about this. Increases of 7 and 10% are really going to hurt!

Convo me if you have any questions.
(Posted at 2:55 am, January 3, 2011 EST)

Re: Canadians: Ask me about Canada Post and shipping - I work there!

Jump to solution
Kristi, I am not sure. Sorry that no one else has stepped in. You might have to phone CP on that one, if you haven't already.

I also have a question - I have noticed that the new format on Paypal labels allows you to opt in to sending an email to the buyer when the items ships. Does that mean that we can now overwrite the info & use other orders as a substitute for the old Paypal Ship Now option without the original buyer being notified? I am afraid to try it LOL
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
answered my own question - no. I used an old invoice from my partner, & he got an email, even though I did not check off that box. Oh well, it was worth a try ...
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Kristi -
For Xpresspost within Canada - yes you can use the pre-paid envelopes to ship objects and jewellery. There are thickness limits which vary per envelope.

For Xpresspost USA - NO, these are intended only for documents/paper.

For shipping objects and jewellery to the USA you use your own packaging and print (or have the post office print) an Xpresspost label for your parcel.

For Xpresspost International - I will have to check the CP guide. Can't remember off the top of my head right now.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I was travelling and my laptop was not working right.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
***Canada Post HOLIDAY shipping deadlines for 2016***:
https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/campaigns/holiday/default.jsf

It's more interactive, you have to select destination to receive deadlines for USA and other countries or continents
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
RE: Canada Post Holiday Shipping Deadlines.
Here is a more informative Page than previously posted: https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=send_your_cards_and_&cattype=kb&cat=sending...
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi, has anyone shipped a flat rigid 11x14 mailer across Canada? It's just a tiny bit over the large envelope dimensions and wasn't sure how picky Canada Post is. Would I have to upgrade to parcel?
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Beth, Canada Post can be picky, so if you try to ship an item that is over the size limits they set, be prepared for the possibility that it could be rejected, or the customer (if they are in Canada) could have to pay additional shipping fees before they are given the item.

For Letter and Oversized letter, the reason for the minimum and maximum dimensions is because these items get sent through sorting machines, so must fit through.

**For Oversized Letter the Maximum dimensions***
38cm X 27cm X 2cm

11cm = 27.94 cm ** so it's too wide**
14 inches = 35.56 cm, that dimension would be fine.

So if you can't shave off that cm of width, you would have to ship by regular, or expedited parcel. You can check rates here on Etsy for their CP shipping labels.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks tigersanddragons, that answers my question.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I sent an expedited package from Maple Ridge to Surrey...basically across the bridge, so not far...on Dec. 5. It showed out for delivery on Dec. 7, but never 'delivered'.

It then showed 'being processed' again on Dec. 11 and 'out for delivery' on Dec. 12, but again no 'delivered'. WTF is going on. Could it be because of volume, that they're showing as out for delivery, when it really isn't?

I've contacted the customer twice now, but have not heard back...very frustrating as this was a large order.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Gina,
Canada Post new service standards for Expedited during the busy holiday season may be the reason for the delay, but you should call CP customer service if you want to be sure about what is happening with your package. There are times where the info. available online is not up to date, but CP has the info in their system. I've had a few Xpressposts that weren't marked "delivered", when I know (because the customer told me so), that these have been.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Canada Post notification on Expedited Parcel service guarantee from November 21, 2016 to January 6, 2017:

Change to claim eligibility for Expedited Parcel™ service guarantee during peak season
Canadians are shopping online like never before. This change in how they use postal services has created unprecedented growth in parcel volumes year-round, especially during the busy holiday season....

As a result, from November 21, 2016 to January 6, 2017, Canada Post will only honour service guarantee claims for late delivery if an Expedited Parcel item is delivered two or more business days after the delivery standard, instead of one.

This adjustment, made to fit the realities and complexities of delivery during the busiest time of the year, will allow us to continue to provide you and your customers with a positive customer experience and a service standard you can count on. The service guarantee for Priority and Xpresspost services will not change during peak season.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2016/09/28/upcoming_change...

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/service_Guar_Mods_en.pdf
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks for the info. I ended up opening a ticket with them this morning after finding out from the customer that it hasn't been delivered. It was strange because it's been 'out for delivery' twice now since Dec. 7.

I heard back from CP and they said they made a routing error and have now corrected it, but it will be delayed O_o

Of course this was for a $200.00 order, so makes it even more worrisome.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
It should have insurance coverage for $10 (as this is included in the Expedited service), did you buy insurance for the additional $100 in value?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I have a customer who has not received their parcel (Ontario) Is there anything Canada Post can do? Tracking says it was delivered.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Catherine
Have you confirmed with the customer that the shipping address on the invoice is correct? Have they spoken to other people who live at their home? Their neighbours? Their postal delivery person?
This often will yield results.

If it's been 24 hours since the parcel was marked as delivered, and it hasn't shown up, you can also either phone or go online at Canada Post's website, and open up a service ticket.
- Click on "contact us"
-Click on Tracking, or one of the tracking questions
- you should be able to find a link to create a service ticket.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thank you for your help Tigers! Everything has been resolved. Thanks again :)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Canada Post price changes for business customers have been released, effective Jan 16 2017:
www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/SBParcels_2017-e.pdf

as usual, they have not released light packet prices yet.

Lettermail:
Canada:
https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/supportdocuments/advanced_lm_pricesheet-e.pdf
so no oversized lettermail increase within Canada!

and elsewhere:
https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/supportdocuments/advanced_lp_pricesheet-e.pdf
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks for the information @tigersanddragons.

Yes, I insured for the full amount. The packaged eventually got there. Apparently there was a routing problem. It took more than a week to go about an hour away, so probably went on a tour on the country.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I send the majority of my U.S. orders via light packet, so no tracking.

I have customers asking me where there orders are (even though I tell them in shipping message there is no tracking).

One was sent on Dec. 7 and still hasn't arrived in MN. I know some of the U.S. hubs are crazy backed up.

What's a reasonable time frame before I should consider it lost? I don't want to jump the gun and refund and have it show up 2 days later. All my packages normally get there the rest of year, so I'm assuming it's just holiday volume holding things up.

Try and tell irate Xmas shoppers that though O_o
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
For me it's 28 business days for the USA, and 36 for International (with a few exceptions). Business days are Monday to Friday and do not include Holidays.
But many Canadian etsy sellers have it in their policies that they do not consider a shipment to be lost until a month/30 calendar days has passed.

You should be managing your customer's expectations from the beginning. I notice that your policies has 4-7 business days as the delivery time to North America....so customers are going to expect that.
North America includes Mexico, and I would never expect a shipment to Mexico to arrive that quickly....and some shipments will not get to the USA or be delivered in Canada in 7 days either.

Since you have no control over the mail, or how a customs clearance may go, you should seriously consider editing those policies, to a longer shipping period.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks.

I'll do that. I do have it written in my message to buyer, but will add it to my policies as well.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Etsy has posted about rate increases at Canada Post.
www.etsy.com/ca/seller-handbook/article/2017-shipping-rate-changes-...
www.etsy.com/ca/help/article/5975

-*****Signature confirmation is now required on shipments for which $200 or more of liability coverage is purchased.****
There is no additional charge for Priority, but the standard Signature Confirmation charge will apply for Xpresspost and Expedited Parcel (or, Regular Parcel if purchased at a retail counter).

-Overall, domestic shipping services are increasing by an average of 4 percent.
-Services going to the US will increase by an average of 3 percent.
-International shipping services will be rising by an average of 3 percent.
Priority is no longer available for shipments to air stage offices.

Looks like there will be a big increase in Light Packet, no clear info yet on whether there will be any change in the weight categories for Light Packet, as there was in 2014 & 2015. Since historically Etsy hasn't had discounts on Light Packet or Small Packet, I expect the rates given in the Etsy article for these services will be the same as post office counter rates.

Unfortunately Etsy only give Great Britain as an example of Small Packet rates. For Small Packet, the UK is part of Zone 2, and Zone 2 historically has had the lowest Small Packet rates. All other Zones have higher rates.

*ZONE 2 Western Europe*
Austria/Belgium/Czech/Denmark/Finland/France/Germany/Greece/Iceland
Ireland/Italy/Luxembourg/Monaco/Netherlands/Norway/Portugal/Sweden
Switzerland/Spain/UK United Kingdom

***PRICE INCREASES EFFECTIVE JAN 16**** - so start thinking about reworking and editing your shipping profiles.

For those that ship paper goods - there will not be any increases in Letter, or Oversized Letter.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Canada Post's flat rate boxes for shipping within Canada, for those who haven't seen them yet:
https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/consumer/details.page?article=2016%2F10%2F27%2Fnew_flat_rate_...
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
2017 Rates, effect January 16/2017
USA
LIGHT PACKET
1-200 gr - $6.84 ($1.14 increase)
200-300 gr - $8.60 (.33 increase)
300-500 gr - $11.75 (no increase)

SMALL PACKET - Air
1-250 gr - $8.61 (.25 increase)
250-500 gr - $11.29 (.22 increase)
500gr-1kilo - $16.82 (.17 increase)

INTERNATIONAL
LIGHT PACKET
1-200 gr - $10.10 ($1.32 increase)
200-300 gr - $13.46 (no increase)
300-500 gr - $24.57 (no increase)

Small Packet AIR
*ZONE 2 Western Europe*
Austria/Belgium/Czech/Denmark/Finland/France/Germany/Greece/Iceland
/Ireland/Italy/Luxembourg/Monaco/Netherlands/Norway/Portugal/Sweden/
Switzerland/Spain/UK United Kingdom
1-250 gr - $10.27 ($.49 increase)
250-500 gr - $19.75 ($ .20 increase)
500 gr - 1kilo - $38.72 ($ .38 increase)
1.01kilo-1.5kilo - $48.46 ($. 48 increase)
1.51kilo-2 kilo - 58.20 ($ .58 increase)

*ZONE 5 Australia/New Zealand
1-250 gr - $11.54 (.55 increase)
250-500 gr - $22.55 (.22 increase)
500 gr - 1kilo - $42.08 (.42 increase)
1.01kilo-1.5kilo - $54.91 (.54 increase)
1.51kilo-2 kilo - $63.88 (.63 increase)

Letter/Oversized Letter Rates for Canada, USA, and International
No change/No increase.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I recently had a customer open a case about not receiving an international Light Packet. It had only been 10 days so I thought Etsy would just close the case. No, they wanted proof that it had been sent. I took a screenshot of the Shipping Labels list page with mouse-over on that order so it showed the address and date. Sent Etsy the screenshot and they closed the case. Happily the package arrived a couple of days later. I thought this would be good info for other sellers who ship via Light Packet or Small Packet.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.