On top of my "real" job and my etsy shops, I also work part-time at a Canada Post outlet, for 4 years now. I'm very knowledgeable about all things related to shipping. I can be your resident expert! Ask away and I will do my best to answer clearly.

jackie ♥

Here's the original post from a forum thread I started before etsy did the shut-down to teams :( It describes CP's rate increases for 2011, which took effect on January 17th.

Like clockwork, Canada Post is raising their rates as of January 17th. I work at the post office part-time so I thought I would give my fellow Canadians a head's up. Here's a link to the complete list of new rates including all the price tables you could ever want (a very helpful sleep aid for insomniacs!).

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/ (click on the red "new prices" button)

I'm not sure how bad the increase is for domestic and US Expedited parcel rates, but here are the new Lettermail, Oversize Lettermail, Light Packet, and Small Packet rates.

Lettermail (max 24.5 X 15.6 X .5cm):
Canada >>
0.59 (0-30g)
1.03 (31-50g)
USA >>
1.03 (0-30g)
1.25 (31-50g)
International >>
1.75 (0-30g)
2.50 (31-50g)

Oversize Lettermail (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
Canada >>
1.25 (0-100g)
2.06 (101-200g)
2.85 (201-300g)
3.25 (301-400g)
3.50 (401-500g)
USA >> (printed matter only)
2.06 (0-100g)
3.60 (101-200g)
7.20 (201-500g)
International >> (printed matter only)
4.10 (0-100g)
7.20 (101-200g)
14.40 (201-500g)

Light Packet (max 38 X 27 X 2cm):
USA >> 4% increase over 2010
2.36 (0-100g)
4.92 (101-250g)
7.91 (251-500g)
International >> 3.5% increase over 2010!
4.60 (0-100g)
9.25 (101-250g)
15.80 (251-500g)

Small Packet (max L + W + H = 90cm)
USA >> 7.5% increase over 2010!
Surface 5.85 (0-250g)
Airmail 7.46
Surface 8.35 (251-500g)
Airmail 9.90
Surface 12.41 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 15.36
International >> (rates vary according to the country.. please see zone and rate tables through the link above. Amounts below are for shipments to the United Kingdom, zone 02 - surface rates are 10% higher than 2010, airmail rates are 8% higher, except in the 1-2kg category)
Surface 6.54 (0-250g)
Airmail 8.53
Surface 8.95 (251-500g)
Airmail 17.06
Surface 15.02 (501g-1kg)
Airmail 33.45
Surface 21.07 (1-2kg)
Airmail 50.26

I don't know about you, but I am really bummed about this. Increases of 7 and 10% are really going to hurt!

Convo me if you have any questions.
(Posted at 2:55 am, January 3, 2011 EST)
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Re: Canadians: Ask me about Canada Post and shipping - I work there!

Jump to solution
Yes I have Jackie, most of my shipments are small and Regional, I do use the online calculator to check rates. Many of mine require return postage (samples and show applications), so a prepaid envelope works best in those circumstances.

For Regional, if you can fit it in the Standard (must be under 500 grams), the 4 envelope set has always been the best price. I just checked mailing a 50 gram 4"x6"x.75" shipment within my own city as an example and it was $9.96 for my own envelope or 36.40 +1.82GST = 38.22/4=9.56 for Standard if I bought a 4 envelope Value set. Since postage prices only ever go up, I'd rather have a few envelopes kicking around, they will be used eventually (I bought a few packs at the end of 2010) Remember when Xpresspost Standard envelope was $3.50?! Wish I could of afforded to buy a pile of envelopes then.

Have noticed that for National Xpresspost, once you go over 500 grams the price is better for shipping in your own box, than by using the "Pack" size envelope required for shipments over 500 grams.

If you buy prepaid, you are only subject to your own provinces GST, but if you choose to use your own box, and are shipping to provinces with HST, then you are charged HST on the shipment. If the reverse is true(ship from HST province to GST province, well it might be better to go with counter rates and your own box.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I'm not surprised you have it all down to a refined system :)

$3.50 for a prepaid envelope! Those were the days for sure. You make a good point about buying them up before the inevitable price increase in January. Let's remember to remind everyone next year. Your tips about how to get the most value are wonderful... helpful to everyone I'm sure. I still wish I knew why I get an automatic 20% discount when I print shipping labels in Paypal (for Expedited and Xpresspost). I've asked people here if anyone also gets the discount but I haven't come across anybody who does. I believe it has to do with being an ebay seller, which I am. It might be worth your while to sell something on ebay, tie your ebay email address to your Paypal, and see what happens.

Your comment about GST/HST is an important point. I would like to expand on that because I think there are additional rules about it. I will research it at the post office and post my findings.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Here's some interesting news.

Nada Alic, etsy's Community Manager for Canada, contacted me to discuss this forum and the possibility of doing a post on etsy's blog about Canadian shipping issues. We had a great conversation that went far beyond shipping, talking about all kinds of ideas for things Canadian sellers might like to have with regards to support from etsy.

She will be pitching the blog post idea to the powers-that-be in Brooklyn, and I will keep you updated on the status. In the meantime, I will start a list of specific shipping-related issues/problems/solutions. It would be great if I had everyone's input! What would you like to see as topics discussed? Post them here or convo me.

When Nada asked me what Canadian sellers have on their wishlist for shipping functionality within etsy, the first thing I said was "a shipping calculator"! The kind of functionality you get on ebay, for example... where the customer can put their postal code in, and get the exact shipping cost. She said that etsy's tech team is currently working on something in that area, but for the USA.. naturally. She said it would probably take a lot of time for them to develop it for Canada but she wanted to know how difficult I thought it would be to create it for Canada. I replied that Canada Post has what appears to be a very cohesive API program for web merchants, and that I think it would be quite a simple project to integrate CP's database within etsy. She plans on contacting Canada Post to begin discussions about it, and hopefully she will push for it down at etsy HQ. So feel free to send her a convo message to support the idea.. the more voices pushing for it the better!

We also talked about putting together a "Canadian shipping how-to" posted somewhere static, on or off etsy. I've toyed with this idea before... some options for a venue are a blog or an open Google document. Do you think something like that would be useful for sellers (as an extension of this forum thread)? If so, where do you think a good place to put it would be? Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks everyone :)
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
An integrated shipping calculator would be wonderful. I don't know where to suggest where to place an article about Canadian Shipping if it isn't in the Etsy Blogs. Is there going to be a Canada Blog in the future?
Points to be covered, that I think many new shippers are confused about:
- printed mail (ex. books, patterns) vs. objects shipping options
- The slot of doom (maximum thickness for Light Packet/Lettermail) and minimum parcel size (parcel wide enough to fit customs form).
- Insurance & Tracking - what services have it
- Time Standards for Shipping
- When you can file a postal claim, and how to do it.
- Paypal shipping, I'm sure many sellers would try it, if you walk them through it.
-Restricted goods (ex. Australia has a lot of regulations) - link to CP website
- Packing materials (a basic for any shipper)
-Couriers
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Jackie, that sounds cool! I know I told Nada about this team but I can't remember if I mentioned your thread.

If you can't get Etsy to post this on their blog, we'll take it on Sellers Assisting Sellers. Just let me know!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I'm a web developer besides soap maker, and I've found the single biggest problem to CP quotes is the dimensions... when you have your coding all set up, it's a PITA to do the coding and database to accept not only weight, but WxHxL and then transfer that to the cart to send to CP for the quote. It's not so bad when you're starting the coding from scratch, but it's a lot of work to go into an already established database and change things.

That said, it would be nice if CP would drop the dimensions need and simply ask if the package is over X size, if under, use a standard formula (if the need to know the size is THAT important).

Just my 2 cents.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Hi Amy,
It's nice to hear from someone with technical knowledge! Thanks for chiming in. No doubt it would be easier if CP modified the dimensions requirement from exact LxWxH to a range of sizes. Not likely to happen right? CP claims that "Integration is simplified. Processes are automated.
Our web services are easy to use and customizable
to meet your shipping needs." Naturally they would say that lol. Nevertheless, my argument is: if ebay can offer a shipping calculator, why can't etsy? If you take away the need to actually print shipping labels from within etsy, all that's needed is the coding to access CP's database and the configuration to accept the proper inputs from etsy users (sellers inputting the weight, dimensions, and delivery category choices when creating a listing; buyers inputting the destination).

If you have the time and inclination, have a look at this CP page:

http://www.postescanada.ca/cpo/mc/business/productsservices/developers/services/onestepshipping/defa...

click on "Create Non-contract Shipment" (either REST or SOAP). I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you see there, from a web developer's perspective. Are they oversimplifying things?

Obviously, any Canadian shipping calculator would be secondary to etsy developing one for the US. I can only assume that the USPS has a similar structure made available to web developers, but who knows.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I've bookmarked the page and will look over it this weekend (first market tomorrow, running around like a madwoman!).

0 Likes

Jump to solution
I just read this in the forums. Anyone have any info.
http://www.etsy.com/teams/7722/business-topics/discuss/10487012/page/1/
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I just wanted to thank the OP for this thread, it's been so helpful! Much appreciated! (:
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
I've started a thread with a bit of info about using couriers to ship outside Canada. If anyone has info to add, please do!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Gina,
I sent a convo to the OP of that post, regarding Canada Post "audits" to clarify what she heard and where from. I checked with the manager at the outlet where I work. She says there has been no official announcement or any other communications from CP about changes to how postal clerks should handle prepaid packages, and nothing about any "audit". As far as we know, Light Packets have always been subject to machine sortation and therefore, automatically checked for proper weight and size.

I'll keep you posted with any additional information I learn. In the meantime, I really don't think there's any need to panic. As long as sellers are measuring and weighing appropriately, I don't think there's cause for worry.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
tigers,
Can you post a link to your thread about couriers? That's a great idea! After you post it here, we'll get Cindy or another moderator to highlight it.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Michelle,
You're welcome! It's a collaborative effort, and we rely on everyone's input and experiences. I'm glad you find it helpful :)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I made a few discoveries about sales taxes last week. GST/HST is a complex thing with regards to postage... so many different rules!

I will post what I found out in the coming days, so stay tuned! It was an eye-opener for me so I'm sure it will be of interest to all sellers.

0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Here's this link: http://www.etsy.com/teams/7654/etsy-international/discuss/10520105/page/1/
While quotes vary for couriers, and in most cases the fees are high enough to scare some customers away, I thought just some general ideas about pricing and choices would give sellers something to start from... The "time and cost" quote pages for UPS and Fedex (I use the .ca sites) aren't too difficult to use.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks tigers!

Cindy, can you highlight the post above? ty :)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
got it! thanks to everyone for sharing good info!
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
Oops I guess I should of said in my last post, that link was to a thread about using couriers to ship outside Canada.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
if you want to do it over, I can delete that one & highlight a new one - up to you
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution
A thread about using couriers to ship outside Canada:
Here's this link: www.etsy.com/teams/7654/etsy-international/discuss/10520105/page/1/
While quotes vary for couriers, and in most cases the fees are high enough to scare some customers away, I thought just some general ideas about pricing and choices would give sellers something to start from... The "time and cost" quote pages for UPS and Fedex (I use the .ca sites) aren't too difficult to use.
Thanks Cindy!
0 Likes
LittleBearsMom
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
I just wanted to say, I second everything that was said in the post below:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
tigersanddragons from TigersandDragons says
An integrated shipping calculator would be wonderful. I don't know where to suggest where to place an article about Canadian Shipping if it isn't in the Etsy Blogs. Is there going to be a Canada Blog in the future?
Points to be covered, that I think many new shippers are confused about:
- printed mail (ex. books, patterns) vs. objects shipping options
- The slot of doom (maximum thickness for Light Packet/Lettermail) and minimum parcel size (parcel wide enough to fit customs form).
- Insurance & Tracking - what services have it
- Time Standards for Shipping
- When you can file a postal claim, and how to do it.
- Paypal shipping, I'm sure many sellers would try it, if you walk them through it.
-Restricted goods (ex. Australia has a lot of regulations) - link to CP website
- Packing materials (a basic for any shipper)
-Couriers

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The bulk of my buyers are in the US, then Australia. The rest are divided between the rest of the world and Canada. So, at this point I'm swallowing some of my shipping costs depending on their destination w/in Canada. It's a rare occasion, so I'm ok with it personally. But I'm sure that there are other sellers who are not. It would be especially great it we could calculate based on not only province but postal code (rural vs. non-rural) and if we could also designate PST/HST/QST/GST with a bit more finesse.

Also, I can't tell you how many sellers on my Canadian team are unaware of PP shipping, or how it works. A walk-thru would be really great.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
GST/HST TAX TIPS (SHIPPING WITHIN CANADA)

As a handy reference, here's the breakdown of the taxes by province:

GST provinces............................HST provinces
PEI 5%.............................................NL 13%
QC 5%............................................NS 15%
MB 5%.............................................NB 13%
SK 5%.............................................ON 13%
AB 5%............................................BC 12%
YK 5%
NT 5%
NU 5%

TAX TIP #1

FOR REGIONAL PREPAID EXPRESSPOST ENVELOPES PURCHASED IN AN HST PROVINCE, GOING TO A GST PROVINCE

The following tip applies ONLY IF you are immediately mailing the Expresspost envelope after you buy it at the postal outlet.

If the postal clerk scans the UPC barcode of the envelope, you will be pay the HST. This is what normally happens, as far as I know. However, there's another way to process the purchase where you will only pay the GST: the envelope is treated as a SCALE item, like a parcel. The clerk places the Expresspost item on the scale, and enters the destination postal code. After that, there's a dropdown box where they can choose "Prepaid Products". The clerk then selects the appropriate envelope size (Standard, Letter, or Pack) and continues as normal. The tax applied will be the GST only. Canada Post's internal procedures documents are clear about this:

"If prepaid product is purchased at counter and used immediately, the tax is based on the destination".

What does this mean?

It means that you can save quite a bit - between 7 and 10%, depending on what province you are shipping from.

Stay tuned for more tax tips!

Convo me if you have any questions.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
When I went into the post office with my Venture One card they mentioned something about collecting points. Do you have any idea what these are used for.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Suzie,
Officially there is no feature about "collecting points" with the Venture One program. I've never seen any internal CP information about it, and it's not mentioned on the CP V1 website page.

However, I know for a fact that Canada Post will send thank-you money to Venture One users. A postal clerk at a corporate outlet told me a story of a Venture One user getting a $50 cheque in the mail. Ever since then, I always scan my card even if the discount doesn't apply to the service I'm paying for (eg: Light/Small Packet).

Maybe next time you go to the post office, ask them to give you more details? I'm curious :)

Anyone else ever heard of this?
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.