Clickanshop28
Inspiration Seeker

i m scammed by ur email

i recieved msg from u guyz in my messages on app. that need verification when i complete card verification my 200 pound gone now what can i do i need my money back 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
28 Replies

Re: i m scammed by ur email

Contact your bank.

There is nothing Etsy can do for you because you took it off of Etsy.

Also:

https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/reselling/239324376512

6 Likes

Unfortunately, you were scammed. Etsy does not need your email or bank details as they already have it.  Any REAL message from Etsy will be in the new 'From Etsy' folder in messages.

3 Likes

This is a seller to seller support forum.  You aren't talking to Etsy here.

Etsy doesn't need your e-mail - they already have it.  A buyer NEVER needs your e-mail to complete a sale.  If you responded to a message either from a "buyer" or Etsy saying as such, you have been the victim of scammers.

All message correspondence from Etsy will be in the "From Etsy" section of your messages - if it's not there, it's not a legitimate message from Etsy. 

You should contact your bank, and/or your credit card company explaining that you have been scammed.

I hope you're able to get your money back.

3 Likes

You answered a scammers message, and gave them your info.  There is nothing etsy can do.  Perhaps your bank can stop the payment before it goes through, but most likely you have lost it.

4 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Etsy didn't scam you.  You ignored Etsy's various warnings and allowed yourself to be scammed.

I'm going to post two posts from Etsy that all sellers should read:

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/New-From-Etsy-section-in-Messages/m-p/143722497#M1899

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/Protect-Your-Account-From-Scammers/m-p/143158945#M1882

8 Likes
IjustAwriter
Inspiration Seeker

I am sorry this happened to you! : (  I just received a similar message plus another from Etsy technical support asking me to verify my account, so I came here to find answers before I replied. I just marked them as spam. The only thing that looked different is the orangy/yellowish tab below the message that reads "From Etsy."  I hope no one else gets scammed! 

2 Likes
IjustAwriter
Inspiration Seeker

oh wait.. I also received it in my regular email.. would it be legit then? sigh... 

0 Likes

@IjustAwriter   If the message is from Etsy it will show only in the link for Etsy.  It is on the left hand side of the message system,  Etsy is there and if there is an orange dot that is a message from Etsy.  

1 Like

Ugh, it's terrible that this keeps happening to new sellers. Maybe Etsy should put the "From Etsy" section in messages in red. No matter what Etsy does to warn sellers, it keeps happening. 

3 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

@PiecesOfMePaperCraft 

*from etsy* is dumb.

they need it to be more official looking.

like..

*Official Etsy Messages*

when i see *from etsy*... i think... from etsy... with love.

because it is definitely not working to stop people from being scammed.

5 Likes

@nineteen27 

You're right about Official Etsy Messages.

I'm floored at the amount of new sellers who are being scammed through the messages system. This doesn't look good for Etsy.

4 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

i think no matter what etsy does to try and warn the sellers.

nothing is going to help.

they had announcements on the dashboard... links to the announcement in the forum...

they have pop ups that appear in messages.

they put the new from etsy folder.

there are a bazillion threads detailing the scams.

plus sellers need some common sense and logic too.

and still... they are getting scammed.

7 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@PiecesOfMePaperCraft  @nineteen27  You're right, it isn't working.  I'm not seeing a lessening of Sellers being hit by scammers. In fact it's the opposite.

I wish Etsy would have a Warning IN RED font in our Seller Dashboard.  The regular Announcements in black font (in the Seller Dashboard) are easily bypassed. This Warning needs to be prominent. Then put information about Scams and the From Etsy Folder (the Announcement about the new folder has already been buried under past Announcements).

Also, it should not be difficult to nail scammers who are impersonating Etsy "Support/Staff/Stuff/Assistant. Overzealous bots zero in on other words, why not implement something as crucial as this (rhetorical question). 

There have always been scammers. But not to this degree; where there is an epidemic of them.

2 Likes

The messages from Etsy will show only in the message area of the link for Etsy or tab or whatevery you want to call it with an orange dot.  

If the message is appearing outside that area then the message is not from Etsy.

Doing anything like Official won't work as the scammers have been able to easily duplicate what looks to be official,  

0 Likes

This is the 2nd thread I have read today where this happened to the seller asking for the seller to verify bank account while they were setting up their shop--using the app--the seller did not say EMAIL--they said "message"  so it sounds like the scammers have changed their tactics yet again. They seem to be tweaking their approach.--and if they are sending this by message before a shop is even complete then  there s REALLY REALLY bad thing going on.

2 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Agree, and some Sellers said these Messages popped up within seconds of them listing their first item/s.

1 Like
EnergyPeace
Conversation Maker

well a message that may have asked for email. that we don't know since the OP didn't say. 

It is even unclear how the money was lost. Did he send money? Who knows. It's hard to believe people fall for these scammers.

0 Likes

Messages is what is being used.  Sellers who have received the messages are internchangeably using email and message.  It's hard to get people to use the right terminology when talking about the message system. 

1 Like

Oh yeah the messages come in right after setup. 
I recently opened my second sho. In my other shop I have more than a year and more than 700sales and I do not get these messages. So when I opened this one and the system guided me to upload my first item I was not completely prepared with photos because I’m selling my designs on things through POD, so my first item was not complete but I thought it was ok because I was placing the first 10 items that day after setup. To my surprise, I was not even finished placing my design at the POD site to integrate when I got my first scam message. And it has been like 3 to 10 daily. It stopped for like 3 days but then continued. It’s sad! 
only 1 recent real order and hundred of scam messages 

1 Like

this was a phishing scam,

you need to contact your bank and card provider

it is nothing to do with etsy

As you are in the UK, you can also report it to the police here
https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/reporting-fraud-and-cyber-crime

0 Likes
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

Maybe Etsy should be even more proactive by giving the scam warnings to new sellers when they first open their shop. Something that shows up when registering for the shop.

4 Likes

And chase people away?  I can't see Etsy doing that, however messages has the warning in it and there are articles quite prominent about this.

And the thing is, scamming is not just on Etsy.  It is hitting many places so anyone has to be aware of scamming attempts. 

0 Likes
CanningCrafts
Conversation Maker

Well they can always keep scaring away new sellers right after they first get scammed, as we've seen with numerous posts about new sellers immediately closing their shops after being scammed. Surely they can word the messaging in a way that would simply give sellers a heads up? It took Etsy too long to even add those warnings to the messaging section already.

6 Likes

@CanningCrafts @JDTotesnDolls what’s making this worse is that sellers who have been hit are blaming Etsy for stealing their money.  How many have closed shop and left after being scammed? They’re likely spreading the word that Etsy steals sellers’ funds and is ripping people off. And Etsy’s reputation takes another hit.

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.