ArtistInJewelry
Conversation Maker

YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBERS IS EXPOSED ON ETSY!! MINE WAS - IS YOURS?

Jump to solution

I sent a friend a listing from a shop on Etsy so she could look at it. I was shocked when I saw under the listing a "BUY IT NOW - and the last 4 digits of my credit card number"!!  I honestly didn't believe this happened - so as a test - I went into her shop and sent her one of her listings - SURPRISED - it had a "BUY IT NOW - and the last 4 digits of my credit card number"!! 

This is soooooooooooo illegal - I went in and removed my credit card number and per Etsy - I will not get paid.  We need to provide our banking information and a card number.  I think I'm "SCREWED".

ETSY YOU HAVE TO FIX THIS NOW!!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Re: YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBERS IS EXPOSED ON ETSY!! MINE WAS - IS YOURS?

Jump to solution

Your card numbers are not public.  Only you see them, it is a standard practice on sites you shop at regularly and have default cards saved.  They show you and ONLY you, the last four digits of the default card when you shop, so that you know in advance how you will be paying and have an opportunity to use the standard checkout instead of the Buy Now quick checkout if you prefer to use a different card for the current purchase.  

View solution in original post

5 Likes
40 Replies
Smudgekitty
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

You are the only one that sees your numbers.  Your friend would see their last 4 numbers when looking at your listings.

I see the last 4 digits of my card on any listing I look at with the Buy it Now option.

20 Likes
heavyistheheart
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

shake my head

10 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I think you are the only person who sees that on Etsy. When your friend gets the link, the card numbers aren't there.

1 Like
PotteryUrns
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

There has been other threads on this if you look back thru the forums. From what I understand we are the only one that can see it and is only the last 4 numbers ever. I had my daughter check some of my listings and she couldn't see it.

3 Likes
EightMileVintage
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

But don't make the mistake I made and post a screenshot of a listing in the forums because there's your credit card number.

2 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

I believe the same as what others are saying. That we only see our credit card digits, but not those of others.

1 Like

Jump to solution

If you sent a link to your friend's own listing, she'll see no number.  She won't see the 'buy it now' button on her own listing either.

Did you mean you sent her a screenshot of the listing?

You're not screwed and there's nothing that Etsy needs to fix.  You should put your cc back on your account though.  If you don't then yes, you are kinda screwed.

8 Likes

Jump to solution

If it was a screen shot then yes it will show your last four no's of your card, if it's a link it should not.

2 Likes
ArtistInJewelry
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

It doesn't matter if I'm the only one to see my card number.  This is NOT LEGAL - plain and simple!!  My credit card number is exposed.  

No - I didn't send her a screen shot.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Your cc # isn't exposed. How can it be exposed when you are the only one that can see it?
NO one else can see it.

15 Likes

Jump to solution

@ArtistInJewelry 

"My credit card number is exposed. .."

Not exactly.  The last 4 digits of your cc number are exposed to you when you are logged in.

4 digits does not = your cc number. 

Shown to only you when you are logged in does not = exposed to the whole world, illegal or otherwise compromised.

Might I suggest perhaps taking a few deep breaths and maybe having a cup of tea?

27 Likes

Jump to solution

@CharmedByGiulia 

10 year olds are NOT ALLOWED to post in the Forum! You are in NO position to give (or take) legal advice.

Go get your parents to read the rules.

https://www.etsy.com/legal/minors/

8 Likes
NuestraFe
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Last 4 numbers do not say anything, your cc number is not exposed, I would suggest putting back your cc info in etsy.

February 14 is near and I think it is a good sale for  someone who sells jewelry. Good sales  

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@ArtistInJewelry  It is legal to show the card number.  They are only showing the last 4 digits of your card to you only.  I have had this for the past 6 months,  No one else can see,

Under law the credit card number can be shown to the purchaser or user if the number is truncated to the last 4 digits.

You see this on receipts.  I see it on some of my bills.  Slip Showing? Federal Law Requires All Businesses to Truncate Credit Card Information on Receipts | ...

2 Likes

Jump to solution

And if you want to ge paid by Etsy you need your CC card in your account.  Etsy won't pay you without a valid credit card attached.

1 Like
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@ArtistInJewelry   I would put your CC info back in.

1 Like

Jump to solution

The credit card numbers are only visible to you when you are working/looking from YOUR account. Log out and try it as a Guest. You won't see any credit card numbers. 

6 Likes
timelapse
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@ArtistInJewelry - every time you use a card to buy groceries, gas, etc....those last 4 numbers are on the receipt. If it gets dropped in the parking lot, do you panic that anyone can see those last 4 numbers? Do you shred every receipt? 

Or when you buy something online, those last four of any card you have entered will pop up at checkout.

Those last 4 you are seeing are only visible to you. And it is not your whole number.

27 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@timelapse  Very good point.  When I'm sorting my business receipts, I do it by credit card #, which as you said, the last 4 digits are posted on the receipts.  

Some times we just need to step back and take a deep breath.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

@CharmedByGiulia: As an aside, you really should include in your listing the licensing information for all of the trademarked and copyrighted names and images in your shop, otherwise buyers (and Etsy) may conclude they are counterfeits. And a buyer could file a not as described case against you and both get their money back and keep the item. Including the licensing information will show that you are not selling those items illegally.

Because if you did not have permission, you would have to be concerned about the intellectual property owner showing up at your door with a court order to confiscate EVERYTHING that was used to create, manufacture, and or market the infringing items. Taylor Swift is known to be particularly protective of her brand.

9 Likes

Jump to solution

@BagmakerSupply 

I 100% agree. Now explain it to her as if she's under 13.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

I don't fret over credit card issues, they handle discrepancies if one arises. If you are concerned, report it to the credit card company and stop possible transactions, then get a reissued card with new numbers. Remember to update the new info with any legitimate billing as soon as it is issued. If you are still concerned freeze your credit.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

If the OP updates their account with a new card with a new number, the cc name and last 4 digits of that card will now be visible to her on any listing she views.

5 Likes

Jump to solution

.@TheVintagePineapple you are so right. The last 4 digits will likely show no matter the number. However if .@ArtistInJewelery is concerned this is what I would do about it.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.