2Tcraft
Inspiration Seeker

Wrongful Removal of Listing in Handmade

Jump to solution

Hello,

I create handmade keycaps using epoxy resin. The process involves designing a 3D keycap model, creating a mold, and hand pouring resin into the mold to complete the keycap. This intricate process, known as multicast resin, requires several hours for each color of the product to be completed.

I take photographs, edit images, write titles, and descriptions for my listings. Additionally, I showcase my products on Instagram and my personal website.

Earlier this month, Etsy removed one of my products (which was labeled as a Bestseller) and claimed that they were not handmade. I reached out to the support team, but I received only automated responses, and they stated that reinstating the listing is not possible. Despite providing them with images of the handmade keycap creation process and evidence that the photographs were taken by me, they have not reconsidered their decision.

*Edit: The removed product is a keycap depicting a Capybara animal, an animal that occurs in nature. I will put the product link that I posted on my website: https://2tcraft.com/product/capybara/

Is there anyone who can assist me in reassessing and restoring my handmade product? When submitting a ticket to the support team, it seems like they merely copy and paste pre-written responses without reviewing the documentation and images I provided, demonstrating that this is indeed a handmade product.

I have been awarded the Star Seller badge for over a year, and they also warned that the removal of the listing may result in the revocation of this badge and the suspension of my account. They mentioned that if I believe it does not violate the handmade policy, I can relist it, but if I do and they remove it again, will they continue to do so? I am truly at a loss.

Thank you.

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wrongful Removal of Listing in Handmade

Jump to solution

The "capybara with the orange" meme spread far and wide.  Although they are not using your photos, there are many similar designs on the big ecommerce sites like Ebay, Amazon and AliExpress.  I suspect this is why Etsy accused you of reselling.  The listing may have been reported by someone who image searched your photos and saw the amount of mass produced versions.  

All you can do is plead your case and wait for Etsy to respond.  Have an appeal with photo proof of your supplies, equipment and documented build process ready.   

View solution in original post

2 Likes

Jump to solution

even if they are handmade, you can't copy others work

or words anywhere, including tags

don't re-list without etsy's approval, the e-mail will be very clear about that, and they shut shops for it

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Were your photos stolen by chance?  That could be the reason.  Etsy may have found the item elsewhere.

As far as other items you have they are so similar to trademarked items that I suggest reviewing your items with an IP expert to make sure they do not run afoul of trademarks.  

Handmade is more than just you making the item.  It also includes designing the item. 

1 Like
21 Replies
SunnytyDE
Community Maker

Betreff: Wrongful Removal of Listing in Handmade

Jump to solution

Etsy has been known to remove IP protected items under the handmade policy lately. What was the keycap of? I see several others in you shop that you can’t legally list unless you have a license from the owner. 

4 Likes
2Tcraft
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

The removed product is a keycap depicting a Capybara animal, an animal that occurs in nature.

I will put the product link that I posted on my website: https://2tcraft.com/product/capybara/

0 Likes
SunnytyDE
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@2Tcraft  It could also be your use of the name of the product it is used for. 

I would definitely not relist until you get an answer from support. 

1 Like
2Tcraft
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you. I am still waiting for their continued response in the case of this Capybara keycap product.

0 Likes
Fashioniya
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Hi

My listings are also removed, can you please help me how to fix this issue. I have listed same items on Amazon as well with same images but these are clicked by me only.

Please help me. Thank you!

0 Likes
printablecandee
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Naming a character something else doesn't get you out fyi. It's still recognizable

6 Likes
2Tcraft
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

But the product that was taken down was a keycap about an animal named Capybara.

0 Likes
SunnytyDE
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@2Tcraft  your response to @printablecandee seems to indicate that you are aware of the IP violations but chose not to care and continue. In that case you will find that people here in the forum will be reluctant to help you. 

3 Likes
2Tcraft
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reminder, I will make adjustments.

0 Likes
RiverCityJAC
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

While unique concept items, your Cookie Monster is definitely copyrighted

2 Likes

Jump to solution

yeah cookie monster got my attention immediately.

there are a few others. Problematic, they are.

1 Like

Jump to solution

The "capybara with the orange" meme spread far and wide.  Although they are not using your photos, there are many similar designs on the big ecommerce sites like Ebay, Amazon and AliExpress.  I suspect this is why Etsy accused you of reselling.  The listing may have been reported by someone who image searched your photos and saw the amount of mass produced versions.  

All you can do is plead your case and wait for Etsy to respond.  Have an appeal with photo proof of your supplies, equipment and documented build process ready.   

2 Likes
2Tcraft
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you for your insight and advice. I understand the concerns about similar designs being available on other platforms, but I want to emphasize that my keycaps are handmade by me, following a documented build process. I'll certainly prepare a strong appeal with photo proof to support my case. Hopefully, Etsy will reconsider their decision after reviewing the evidence. Appreciate your support!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

even if they are handmade, you can't copy others work

or words anywhere, including tags

don't re-list without etsy's approval, the e-mail will be very clear about that, and they shut shops for it

3 Likes
2Tcraft
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you for giving me the experience

1 Like

Jump to solution

The cookie monster and hello kitty will probably be next to be removed. Infringement/ counterfeit with these items that are not your creations to use.

0 Likes
LilMissSweetPea
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Pink bear is a Care Bear lookalike, so that is a NO NO too!

1 Like

Jump to solution

Were your photos stolen by chance?  That could be the reason.  Etsy may have found the item elsewhere.

As far as other items you have they are so similar to trademarked items that I suggest reviewing your items with an IP expert to make sure they do not run afoul of trademarks.  

Handmade is more than just you making the item.  It also includes designing the item. 

1 Like
2Tcraft
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you for your insights and suggestions. Your reminder about the definition of "handmade" is also helpful, and I'll keep that in mind moving forward. Thanks again for your support and guidance!

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

Jump to solution

no face is very popular... and trademarked by studio ghibli.

you have pokemon characters too.

and believe me when i say...

studio ghibli and nintendo has their lawyers do take-downs.

and have been doing so for years.

3 Likes

Jump to solution

Was this ever resolved for you??

The same thing is happening to me, my listing is not handmade but I have a production partner (listed). They think I am reselling because others have stolen my work. It's disgusting.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.