This is among the more stupid things I have seen here.. I went to look at MY OWN description today to make sure I had it right and at first I thought it was missing.. NO.. it's below ALL the other info that should be secondary. The description should be easily accessible for a buyer, PERIOD. Why on earth would a site make it more difficult for the buyer? Stupid, Stupid, STUPID!

Buyers should NOT have to go looking for it.. It should be right were it was.. ARRRRGGGGHHHH! What the h3ll is going on?! Is this some kind of joke or are they THAT bored at Etsy central (since no one looks for violations of mass produced items, oh wait, because Etsy sold out and no longer even upholds their OWN values that used to make this site special and great) that they now have to make crap up?

Re: What the heck is going on? Description is NO longer in a logical and EASY to find place in my sh

@TheCharmedBookshop: Etsy testing seems to be (viewing) account based - it would be interesting to know what percentage of accounts are seeing the "new" layout.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

Re: What the heck is going on? Description is NO longer in a logical and EASY to find place in my sh

This has happened to us also.  It's bad enough that 1) we ended up accepting a returned item a few years ago because the customer wasn't happy with the size of the item and 2) One of the reviews we received was only a 4 because the customer thought the puzzle would have more pieces......and the information on both of these items was in the first 3 lines of the details section!   If the customers don't read the details when they are at the top of the page, what makes Etsy think the customer is going to go "digging" to find the details??? 

4 Likes

@WhimsicalTreasuresOK: "If the customers don't read the details when they are at the top of the page, what makes Etsy think the customer is going to go "digging" to find the details???" Your statement only adds justification to Etsy's decision to bury the description.

0 Likes

A fellow seller in another thread mentioned this website: www.ecommercebytes.com as a place to maybe more effectively air our complaints. I saw (but didn't read because of limited time) a negative article or two about Etsy. One was concerning the current fiasco with them hiding our item descriptions. Please check it out.

0 Likes

I dont like it!  It has to be hurting us   PLEASE PUT IT BACK THE WAY IT WAS!  Thank you!

1 Like

@Sassydoggs I did the EXACT same thing.. I came to Etsy because Ebay FORGOT who THEIR customers are and who OUR customers are.

This was a wonderful, creative and inspiring place to be when I first joined.. NOW it's just wish.com it feels like sometimes..

We deserve better IMHO..  I believe you CAN protect both your sellers who are really Etsy's customers and also the buyers which are OUR customers. If there are issues there are methods to remove those "bad" sellers and still keep high standards and happy buyers. It's no longer about the creative but about the PROFIT.. no matter how Etsy spins it. I can't tell you how pissed off a personal friend of mine was when she went to Etsy for the first time not long ago and saw all the mass produced items.. She asked "what's the point? it's just like Amazon and eBay or any other site".. I tried to explain how it used to be when I first came here and how much it drove me.. that is sadly no longer the case.. *sigh

0 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

I don't see it now, but just a few seconds ago I was looking at a listing in incognito mode, and while scrolling down the page to find the description, I noticed there was a white space at the top that showed the listing "links" for the item details - description, shipping, shop policies, FAQs, Meet Your Seller.  The white space scrolled down with the page, so the "info" links were always available.  I don't see it now, I keep trying, but I must have caught it during a certain phase of testing.  Has anybody else noticed this white bar?

Edited To Add ... as you are scrolling down the price box scrolls down too.

0 Likes

This is just nuts!!! What is wrong with these people running (or not running) Etsy!

2 Likes

If a buyer says they didn't see the description and buys something and they want to return it... then what?

0 Likes

I wonder what The Good Lord thinks about these higher-uppers at headquarters?? Maybe a mass group healing miracle is in order? Boy I hope so.  

0 Likes

Bottom line, my sales DROPPED when my shops were part of this "test"  (what are we Guinea pigs? I am trying to run a business here!). ETSY this is beyond dumb. PUT DESCRIPTIONS UNDER THE PHOTOS OF WHAT I AM SELLING  (NOT under review photos of unrelated items!) if everything has to be "in line and scrollable for easy view of the customers" is so important.

Sorry for being shouty, but it was a test then it went away (sales went back up) then it's a "test" again? I did not sign up to be a clown in this circus. I am a a real person who been selling online since 1996 and absolutely think this is the dumbest move ever.

2 Likes
KarensKraftwerks
Inspiration Seeker

I am so VERY disappointed in the change of descriptions. I don't know what idiot thought this was a good idea but they were WRONG!!! As a seller and buyer on Etsy I depend on the descriptions to help me make a decision on whether to purchase or not, plus to let my buyers know what I made. This is very poor business practice, and it needs to be put back where it belongs. This site is difficult to get ANY type of satisfaction or answerers from corporate Etsy. Work for your sellers please, without us you would be out of business

4 Likes

Another stupid test: "Oh, let's see what happens if we take away item descriptions." Seriously? I can tell you what will happen. Customers won't know what they are purchasing, then they will blame the sellers, then they will get mad and give bad reviews and open cases against us. Great idea, high five Etsy.

1 Like
Vintageables
Conversation Maker

@HighlandHeart -- do what another Etsy seller suggested on one of these forums and is actually doing this in her store:  Put the description in a picture format and load along with regular pictures.  I need to find out how to do this.

0 Likes

@Vintageables thanks for the suggestion.. I have thought about that but kind of on the fence as it makes more work for me and honestly not what I signed up for when I first started here.. *sigh.. I don't know what the answer is other than to get some investors and start a site of my own where I can bring all the great Etsy sellers and makers.. Anyone got a hotline to some big $$$ backers? lol asking for a friend

0 Likes

It's not just the description that is hidden.  As a buyer, I want to know shipping costs and where an items ships from.  Again, it's hidden.  I will just move on.

Etsy pays people to come up with these harebrained ideas.  Our Etsy dollars at work..........................................

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.