What the heck is going on? Description is NO longer in a logical and EASY to find place in my shop..

This is among the more stupid things I have seen here.. I went to look at MY OWN description today to make sure I had it right and at first I thought it was missing.. NO.. it's below ALL the other info that should be secondary. The description should be easily accessible for a buyer, PERIOD. Why on earth would a site make it more difficult for the buyer? Stupid, Stupid, STUPID!

Buyers should NOT have to go looking for it.. It should be right were it was.. ARRRRGGGGHHHH! What the h3ll is going on?! Is this some kind of joke or are they THAT bored at Etsy central (since no one looks for violations of mass produced items, oh wait, because Etsy sold out and no longer even upholds their OWN values that used to make this site special and great) that they now have to make crap up?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
40 Likes
40 Replies
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

Re: What the heck is going on? Description is NO longer in a logical and EASY to find place in my sh

It is a TEST. just a test. Not everyone will see it. I don’t. 
agree ETSY generally has too much free time and throw out things just because to see what sticks or not. This is nothing new. 

5 Likes

Re: What the heck is going on? Description is NO longer in a logical and EASY to find place in my sh

Just because it is "just a test" does not mean that it's not affecting certain shops (in a bad way) in real time.  These "tests" are becoming more frequent and have real consequences.

21 Likes

Yeah, but I was already in this "test" once.  Why are they doing it to me again!?   I do not like that they're giving it a second "hmmmm".  I cannot think of any possible way this can be a good thing, yet here they go doing it, "test" or no... AGAIN. 

0 Likes

1 Like

Sometimes "experiments" are unnecessary.  But COMMON SENSE always is!!

18 Likes

Platypus Dream: Thanks for posting how they explain their experiments and why they don't tell us what they're doing because it could bias the results. But I can't imagine what hypothesis this experiment is testing except that buyers don't want to read descriptions. We already knew that. 

0 Likes

@PlatypusDream - Thank you for the link.  "After testing the process for a few days".  I sincerely hope they're right and this will only be for a few days.  

0 Likes
Retroyums
Inspiration Seeker

I'm a buyer, not a seller, but I have experienced Etsy's description switcheroo a few times recently. The fact that it's a test makes sense why the description seems to move around so much that I never know where I'll find it. Today, instead of being on the (much preferred) right-hand side, it is at the bottom of the page.. after seller photographs AND buyers' product reviews AND buyers' product photos. The description is so far down, I didn't think there were descriptions, and I thought pages didn't list shipping prices anymore. Also, the description and shipping information were collapsed, so I almost went past it, thinking nothing else was there. I just wanted to say, as a buyer, I notice this change, and it does make shopping more difficult and much less pleasant. It's a poor design for Etsy, and it truly could impact sales (because it makes it less pleasant to shop around). I think the former location of the description and shipping info (right-hand side, closer to the top of the page) is probably more beneficial for both sellers and buyers alike. I support you, and I hope Etsy maybe cools it with their design experiments.

31 Likes

From this seller I thank you!

0 Likes

After suffering through that horror experiment from 26 July to mid August -
ref: https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/Product-Descriptions-at-Bottom-of-Page/td-p/1428776...
26 pages of seriously unhappy shopkeepers' and customers' posts.
In twelve years on the Etsy platform, I have never had so many bewildered customers convo'ing me asking What The ?
And now ....................
Here we go again.
I'd love love love to hear Brooklyn's rationale for this user unfriendly layout - (not holding breath).

16 Likes

Agreed. I thought it was over and done with after all the complaints in July. The descriptions in my shop were moved back to where they should be. Now in September they are moved AGAIN to the bottom of the page. C'mon, Etsy, this is a bad idea. Let it be.

6 Likes

Oh! my Gwd!..I was just browsing and stopped to look at a few things, saw no description and thought..”here we go again another one of those glitches” and moved on to look at others hoping it would sort itself out!.. I had the luxury of reading and being helped  from you guys, but buyers won’t have and will just stop looking, this new way, really really!!! sucks…I’m so angry!!..

8 Likes
FluffyBirdDesign
Inspiration Seeker

This is the most ridiculous thing that Esty has done recently ....... Esty is an online platform where people need to read the description of the product to help engage with it, they can not pick the item up physically and look it, everything has to be conveyed with a picture and a description....  scrolling to the bottom of the page after reviews is not going to help the customer engage at all.... Perhaps before messing around with the position of Descriptions etc, Esty should finish updating the new listing interface! - This is very annoying! 

16 Likes

This is a huge fail. End the testand find ways to make the buying experience better, not more frustrating.

11 Likes
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

@TwoDogFarm 

Of course it might affect some shops either good or bad .. that seems to be the point of the tests.

At one point I heard that Etsy does these tests to see what works and how loud the sellers protest or not to see what they keep.

Lots of the time I feel it is just a game to them. But it is one we have to put up with to sell here or just leave. I believe  Those are the options.

0 Likes

Well I appreciate all the supportive responses and that I'm not the only one.. but I can't image what on earth this "experiment" is designed to do other than PROVE this is a really BAD, DUMB and UNWANTED change. I so appreciate @ Retroyums for input, especially from someone who is solely coming to the site as a buyer because I think sometimes, or at least it feels like, Etsy will listen more to you than those of us that are just posting as sellers, even though the vast majority of us are ALSO buyers.. Thanks @ PlatypusDream for the link but it still irks the h3ll out of me that Etsy continues to use or play on the whole "makers" aspect

"Etsy’s mission is to Keep Commerce Human and every day we work to build tools to help creative entrepreneurs do just that"

because that "mission" flew out the window when they decided to embrace the mass produced products that now FLOOD this site, when I can google image search and find most of the those items pop up on "AliExpess" and "Amazon" .. It's a just galling and insulting if you ask me to both seller and especially to buyers who DO come here expecting "handmade" and uniquely curated items.. anyway.. just another frustrating, irritating and time wasteful day here at Etsy central.. Now if they can just refund the duplicate and triplicate "relisting" fees they charged me for the whole relisting "glitch" last week that would be lovely.. UGH 

6 Likes
LascaCreations
Inspiration Seeker

I noticed the new layout yesterday will checking over some of my own listings.  I too think it’s a ridiculous design for a website that’s all about selling items that need to be described!
Yes, having potential buyers seeing good reviews is nice but having clear understanding as to what they are buying is way better!!  
plus I can’t help but thing of all the  messages shop owners are going to get asking basic questions about item’s details that are already in the description box … that they won’t even be able to find 🤦🏻‍  

10 Likes

I see it too and I really do not like it ... All info are spread all around towards bottom of the page, I can no longer see what I would like, I hope this test will be finished soon 

5 Likes
Sassydoggs
Conversation Maker

I set up shop on Etsy over 14 years ago when I quit ebay in disgust because of the way they treated sellers.  I swore I would never go back.  Today I will be spending my time, listing, not on Etsy, but  on ebay (as an experiment) .  I have over 800 vintage items in my Etsy shop, and views and orders have been in freefall for months.  I am tired of feeding the Etsy monster, when they do nothing to rid the site of fraudulent resellers. 

12 Likes

i'm also looking into alternatives, including my own online shop. etsy just isn't worth it anymore. it is cheaper to have my own online shop. etsy doesn't drive traffic to my shop and sales have been down for over a year and a half...i really think it is time for sellers to quit etsy...and at the very least to diversify big time where they list their items. i depended on etsy to my complete and utter dismay and dissatisfaction.

2 Likes

i came back from vacation mode with the same situation. why is my shop suffering from etsy's test? why is this even being tested? it makes no sense. why make purchasing an item more difficult? already, people have problems see item details...is etsy trying to go bankrupt?

4 Likes
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

@BetterCallSri 

Just because you see the test.. does not mean your customer does. Tests are done to people not to shops. 

If your sales are down it is more likely other reasons than this one test.

0 Likes

This does make it more difficult for buyers to find the particulars of an item. The real problem is that most buyers won't complain about it, but rather will not try to find the info (why should they?) and will just not purchase the item!

6 Likes

When I'm signed out of my account, the item details - description, shipping, shop policies, FAQs, Meet Your Seller - are located below the Add To Cart button, as expected. When I'm signed in, item details are relocated between Reviews and "More from this shop". Also, the Add To Cart button/card sticks to the top of the screen as I scroll down until I get to "More from this shop", then it slides up into the top menu. There's a lot happening on the item pages. They could be A/B testing (signed in/out) page navigation and keeping the Add To Cart button handy.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.