Hello everyone;

Concerning the new plant selling policy to the united states and the faulty restrictions that get thrown upon us. 

Has anyone had their issue escalated, looked at by the etsy team with the outcome that they can no longer sell to the united states? Or do all shops eventually get fixed?

Re: To all plant sellers deprived by new policy

Add Connecticut to the list of where the Spotted Lantern Fly is now. It was on the news today and they're telling us to crush it if you see any!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

But the way I read this is if you are bringing seeds in from another country. Which I get! I've worked in nurseries and horticulture for over 30 years. I never ship or buy any seeds from oversees. I have a yearly inspection and a license for shipping plants but they will never be listed on etsy again! I deleted all of my sold out listings. I never ship plants to Ca Wa all the states with extra rules. I guess no one was policing it. I just always tried to do what was right. We'll see what Etsy says. Meanwhile working on my standalone site! 

2 Likes

@Botanicastle - Here is the answer to your question - Etsy's legal policy - go to #6 - Regional Shipping Requirements & Restrictions'

https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/plants-herbs-seeds-and-soil/242685907951

"Etsy restriction on sales to the United States: Etsy sellers located outside of the United States are restricted from selling the following to buyers located in the United States:

• Live plants, seeds, cuttings, and bulbs that can be planted
  • Soil with organic substances. This does not include non-organic potting material such as pumice, gravel, and sand.
  • Organic fertilizers and soil conditioners, such as manure, compost, worm castings, worm/compost tea, sphagnum peat, grass clippings, straw, wood chips, and guano."

Editing to Add - This is the latest policy update - date August 3, 2022. They will probably not change this policy. There is a reason Etsy has decided to restrict plant seller outside the US from being shown in search. Yes, it would be nice if they explained why, but it would appear this change is here to stay.

5 Likes

yes, but a lot of us sellers are IN the USA! and are NOT importing seeds or plants and we are STILL being de-listed!  some of my items de-listed are basil, marjoram, arugula and zinnias!!!  insane!

2 Likes

I am not importing or selling plants or seeds. But I am selling flower essence products that have a minute amount of plant material in them. Completely nontoxic and certainly not anything that poses a threat of any sort. I started getting this  message last night on the two new gift boxes I tried to post — gift boxes that have the same products in them that I already sell singly without any problem. Other items in my shop have been deactivated because the plants—if eaten in full plant form by cows—are poisonous. But they're not even remotely toxic in flower essence form. There's no talking to Etsy about that particular problem so I just gave up. But now this is happening. I even tried again without listing any ingredients at all and that listing was made unavailable in the U.S., too. All I can assume is that the word "flower" is a red flag now. Oddly, a friend in Australia says she could buy it! I live in the United States. This makes no sense.

0 Likes

Yes, all it takes is one bug, one snake or one toad among others.

1 Like

I can sympathize with all the sellers of plants, but are you checking to make sure you are in compliance with all of the US Federal, State, County, and local regulations about what is legal to ship to a given address? I suspect that Etsy's response to this kind of situation is to err on the side of (Etsy's) safety and "ban" the item everywhere.

2 Likes

@Botanicastle 

https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/plants-herbs-seeds-and-soil/242685907951

"Etsy sellers located outside of the United States are restricted from selling the following to buyers located in the United States:

• Live plants, seeds, cuttings, and bulbs that can be planted
  • Soil with organic substances. This does not include non-organic potting material such as pumice, gravel, and sand.
  • Organic fertilizers and soil conditioners, such as manure, compost, worm castings, worm/compost tea, sphagnum peat, grass clippings, straw, wood chips, and guano."
3 Likes

Etsy appears to be creacking down.  They have left things go for too long thinking people would keep abreast of changes.  Since it hasn't happen and they were stung a few months back with an article of what is being sold here, it seems Etsy has doubled down.

You have nothing that tells me about licensing.  I do know some states do not allow plants from outside state lines no matter what.  

2 Likes

These are links to Florida, California & Hawaii - the requirements for sending plants, seeds & plant materials into their State.
While these States are the best known for being very particular about what is entering other States are equally as strict.

https://www.fdacs.gov/Agriculture-Industry/Plant-Industry-Permits/Summary-of-Plant-Regulations

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/pe/nsc/nursery/

https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/pq/import-program/plant-guidelines/

Shop owners selling plants & seeds need to be sure they are operating within their home State's guidelines; that they have the proper licensing, permits, etc.; that they are following all of USPS/FedEx/UPS rules regarding shipping and that they are following the regulations of the State to where they are shipping to.

We'd like to say buyers also carry some responsibility for knowing what they can or cannot purchase and, yes, they do. But in the end if a package is confiscated in the buyer's State, the shop owner will lose any battle they try to wage to keep any money from the sale, especially if they are not properly licensed, the package is not correctly labeled, etc.

And will repeat that shops that are properly licensed by their state, aphis/usda, whatever entity, should post that information in their About Section of their shop. 

4 Likes

This is what I see when I click on any of your plants, "Sorry, this item is unavailable in your region".  It is my understanding that plants cannot be shipped to the US from other countries and also many plants shipping from state to state within the US are not allowed either. There are too many invasive plants and probably infestations of deceases and pests that the US does not want imported. I have tried to order plants from US states that say "not available to ship to your area" and I am in California. Different states have different rules.

1 Like

@maggiemaybecrafty - This is the link I'd posted on the first page of this thread from the USDA/APHIS:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/planthealth/import-information/permits/plants-and-plant-pr...

It is literally titled Buying & Selling Plants & Seeds Online. It is possible to sell to other countries but if you read the requirements for both the seller and the buyer - yes both parties bear certain responsibilities - they are not easily satisfied. 

1 Like

@Botanicastle 

You need to remove this wording from your announcement and about section:

"Shipping worldwide. If your country is not listed as an option, you can contact me."

Right now you are breaking Etsy's rules about Fee Avoidance AND the new plant sales rules by telling customers that they can cheat by working around the system.

It can get your shop shut down.

https://www.etsy.com/legal/fees/#avoidance

1 Like
Botanicastle
Inspiration Seeker

Oh i just meant in case i forgot to add it to the shipping lable. Thank you so much for being so alert !!

0 Likes

Just in case you need help for Shipping Plants of any kind related importing  into Canada. This also includes Licensing. 

https://inspection.canada.ca/plant-health/invasive-species/directives/imports/d-08-04/eng/1323752901...

1 Like

It’s about time. There are reasons why allowing the sale of plants to enter the country is a bad idea. l’m glad to see they finally are following the law. When l was in the Army, as far back as the early 80’s, customs would never have allowed it. Even soil in shoe treads needed to be removed. You take the chance of sending an organism that could wipe out crops, insects, or fauna that are vital to our environment.

https://about.usps.com/publications/pub14.pdf

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-600?language=en_US

1 Like

Could it been that some Herbs & Spices can be used as Natural Insect repellants,?? Some may also kill off insects we need to pollenate the flowers of our food supplies if not used right. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.