YearOfCheer
Inspiration Seeker

Thumbnails are out of whack and can't be fixed using "Adjust Thumbnail" function

In the last few days, most of my thumbnails have "enlarged" themselves and look oddly cropped. I've tried to "Adjust Thumbnail" in both the new and old interface, but I can't fix them. I know Etsy was going to change to square images, but I've always uploaded square images, so I don't know why this would be a problem for my shop. I've been searching for a remedy, but can't find any solution. Anyone had any success at fixing this issue?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
3 Likes
15 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Thumbnails are out of whack and can't be fixed using "Adjust Thumbnail" function

Your photos look just fine to me using my iMac. I can see the entire image on the thumbnail.

0 Likes

Re: Thumbnails are out of whack and can't be fixed using "Adjust Thumbnail" function

When you edit a listing the thumbnail preview is what will be shown in search, not in your shop. That search thumbnail is still rectangular while the shop image is now square. Unfortunately any use of the adjust thumbnail tool will cause the thumbnail to be saved and then used in your shop with the sides cut off. Basically we cannot use adjust thumbnail at all until this mess is sorted.

There are two workarounds I have had some success with
1. Edit the listing in the new format and scroll the zoom bar in the thumbnail image back to the left.
2. Delete and reload the 1st image.
The workarounds don't always work though, especially on older listings.

1 Like

For already square images that show zoomed in and cropped, I have had some success by moving the thumbnail so it's not the thumbnail and then moving it back. Or deleting the first image and then re-uploading it has worked for me. Then I close out the browser and open it again.

2 Likes
GetLuckyVintage
Conversation Maker

0 Likes

Well, that's a fine how do you do!!

I just discovered the same sorry state of affairs in my own shop! I take great care with my photos and always adjust my thumbnails carefully...now everything is all out of whack ...ducks are missing their beaks, boxes missing corners, vases missing their fluted tops, ad nauseum.It looks so unprofessional!  I tried to readjust one thumbnail, save and republish and is not a fix. is this an unfortunate techo~glitch, a new experiment based on some hypothesis OR WHAT? It makes me sad to see my shop look so catawampus after all my careful efforts at excellence...and I do not have the time to do it all over again when it does not change a thing anyway...

Now I must make dinner and will have to check back here later,,,I sincerely hope it's a passing glitch that will right itself shortly. Make it so!

2 Likes

@ZhennelandTreasures Hard to believe I know but this is deliberate, not a glitch. Here is the announcement
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/We-re-making-updates-to-size-and-ratio-for-listing-image...

When they did the changeover they took our thumbnails, chopped off the sides to make them square then plonked the resulting mess in our shops.
What they should have done is divorce our shop images completely from the thumbnails and use our entire 1st images instead.

2 Likes

@ZhennelandTreasures    This is deliberate.  There is an announcement about this.

The square photos happened about a month or two ago.

Your photos look fine to me in your shop.

Etsy uses the primary photo in search, not the square so if your thumbnail looks fine in the listings manager then it is fine in search

0 Likes

@Days of Yore: thank you for taking the time to let me know this is a deliberate maneuver. I had caught wind of the link you provided...I thought that making updates would be something to happen going forward ~~not retroactively going into our shops like a hooligan and chopping up our photos like a  thief in the night! I had created a beautiful shop and I used the tools provided by the listing process here to adjust my thumbnail photos to their criteria...hours and hours and hours of time and work and yes even LOVE has been snatched away in an instant and I am left with a pathetic mess that I cannot take any joy in...and I wiil not say anymore about it.

Anyway, thank you again for your reply! I appreciate you!!!

2 Likes

@DaysofYoreTreasures

I just want to say I am sorry for missing the word TREASURES in your shop name in my revious 2 replies to you sincerely so sorry!

1 Like

@ZhennelandTreasures No worries at all. I was originally going to name my shop Days of Yore but it was already taken so I added the Treasures, lol.

1 Like

Betreff: Thumbnails are out of whack and can't be fixed using "Adjust Thumbnail" function

Do NOT use the “adjust thumbnail” function!!   – Don’t touch it

When you upload a square image as first image, it will show as such in your shop listing but get cropped (top and bottom) in search listings.

When you upload a landscape image as first image, it will show as such in search listings but get cropped at left and right sides in you shop window.

Test and decide which works best for you. It seems we will have to live with this mess for a while. But do NOT use the “adjust thumbnail” function, it is crap.

3 Likes
DragonflyDreams1
Conversation Maker

I have had issues with some listings. I have a square photo and Etsy is enlarging it then cropping it back to square (best way I can describe it) I contacted Etsy, they know there is an issue and they are working to fix it. HOWEVER, it is best to contact Etsy and report it, the more people who contact them, the faster they work on the fix. They determine priority based on number of community members impacted. If you sit back and wait, it will take longer to get a resolution from Etsy. 

4 Likes

Maybe I'm part of an experiment in displaying thumbnails, but:

1. I've always uploaded square images and I never use the "adjust thumbnail" feature.

2. Both old and new editing screens show that the primary image will be cropped for search results and your shop's home page, and it shows you what that will look like.

3. In actual Etsy search results AND in my own shop's home page, the images are NO LONGER cropped and so they do NOT look like what the edit screen says they will look like. Until recently, on those screens they were cropped. But not now. 

I've reviewed lots of other forum posts on thumbnails and cropping, but it doesn't appear that anyone else has described this precise issue. Am I the only one seeing it? Is this a temporary experiment?

0 Likes
SaganAndLoki
Inspiration Seeker

I always use square images and this happens to me only on listings where I use the thumbnail adjust, on both the old and new editor. It stays messed up even if you reset the thumbnail to center. It gets fixed when I reupload a 2000x2000px 72PPI image and publish-- as long as I don't touch adjust thumbnail. The good news is they're escalating my chat. The bad news is for now if you're having the same problem as I am, you can either have nicely adjusted thumbnails in the search or on your shop page, not both, unless you want to add a white border, which is what I'm doing because I don't sell much here and I can just use a macro to edit my old main photos. Good luck, everyone.

1 Like

I use the landscape and the images are fine even when I use the thumbnail.  I'm not the best photographer but I think what I photograph makes it easier.  I think some sellers have tougher items to photograph.

And I've looked at many shops over the weeks since this happened and the photos are fine.  THe tiny bit of cropping does not detract at all.  The only shops that have probles are shops using vertical photos but then those never worked on Etsy. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.