TAXES - Which CSV columns must i add together to arrive at the same sales amounts listed on my 1099?

Jump to solution

Hello all you tax wizards out there! I'm finally getting around to my taxes and i'm STUMPED!!

I'm short by thousands$$$ when I try make my sales add up to the $$ listed on my 1099. Help! Which CSV columns must i add together to arrive at the same sales amounts listed on my 1099? I must be missing something.  i've kept refunds in the total. There must be a line item that i'm missing.

No matter how many ways i try to crunch the csv numbers on monthly downloaded data, the sales $$ i arrive at are always lower than what Etsy has declared on my 1099.  What am i missing? You'd think i'd have this figured out since i've been doing this for years, but alas, here I am.  

Can someone pretty please tell me which columns on downloaded CSV files I must add up in order to EQUAL monthly sales totals listed on my 1099? 

Thanks so much for your help!

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: TAXES - Which CSV columns must i add together to arrive at the same sales amounts listed on my 1

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone. I arrived at the answer I needed:

Options/ Download Data/ Etsy Payments Sales/ Column E (Gross Amount).

The Gross amount ( Sum of Column E) = 1099 monthly sales amount. 

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016389293-How-Is-the-Total-on-My-1099-K-Calculated?segmen...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
SmudgePlant
Community Maker

Re: TAXES - Which CSV columns must i add together to arrive at the same sales amounts listed on my 1

Jump to solution

One of the great mysteries of Etsy.

This might help explain some of it:

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016389293-How-Is-the-Total-on-My-1099-K-Calculated?segmen...

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Because the 1099 is reported to the IRS, I would just use that number! You then deduct returns/refunds and shipping expenses elsewhere on your Schedule C.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thank You Smudge Planet. 

The video in the link is very helpful. Every year when preparing my taxes I second guess my calculations! I feel much more at ease understanding how and where all the numbers add up so I know I'm deducting everything correctly!

I found the downloaded csv file/column that corresponds to the monthly sales amounts on my 1099:

I was then able to cross check other totals and fees against what etsy posted and better understand everything

2 Likes

Jump to solution

the CSV has everything, including refunds as a negative amount

the 1099K has all sales, and does not have refunds deducted

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks everyone. I arrived at the answer I needed:

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.