Strange problem with Etsy deactivating random items in my shop.

Let me start by saying my main shop sells vintage toys and replacement accessories for vintage toys that I personally create. I've been selling on Etsy for over a decade.

Today, exactly 1 minute after a sale of a replacement accessory Etsy sends me a message saying they have deactivated the listing because of being drug paraphernalia. There is no way this item could be confused as paraphernalia at all. Then a few hours later the exact same thing happened with a different item. Exactly 1 minute after the sale i get another email from Etsy saying it was deactivated because its paraphernalia. These were 2 different items sold to 2 different people in different parts of the US.

I have sold dozens of each item over the last 2 years with no issue. My questions are- is this happening to anyone else? Is some one targeting my shop and reporting these items to Etsy? 

It is frustrating that its the weekend and no human is going to even look at this until Monday at the earliest. I do have over 500 items in my shop but is this going to continue throughout the weekend?

More info- it does not seem to happen on sales with multile items. Both orders today were for single items that were in stock. My other 4 sales were either for multiple items or the item was vintage nd went to sold out after the sale.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
4 Likes
18 Replies
DesertChains
Conversation Maker

Re: Strange problem with Etsy deactivating random items in my shop.

Listings are reviewed by bots when auto renewed, same as when published.

2 Likes

Neither were flagged at time of listing nor the dozens of times they have been renewed do to selling...

2 Likes
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

The forum is full of threads about this happening to items from many shops.

One seller had glass garden stakes removed, another one vintage clip earrings, and so on.

All this is being done my bots that are apparently malfunctioning in a big way.

5 Likes

Well, I could understand glass=glass pipe and clip=alligator clip to bots but what part of replacement accessory or Degobah Crate sound anything like drug paraphernalia? I mean, I am over 50 and not up to date on drug slang but, really?

2 Likes
leinweberstudio
Conversation Maker

Yeah, as I said, malfunctioning.

At this time most of it is one big fat mystery.

3 Likes
ReverieRelics
Inspiration Seeker

This just happened to me and Etsy had the gall to email me this when I asked why my legitimate listing was removed:

"While we can’t reconsider the decision to remove your listing, we wanted to answer some common questions so you have a deeper understanding. "

They even claim that when this happens, they may put a 90 day hold on payments on our accounts. Absolutely ridiculous that they do this to legitimate sellers but not the counterfeit dropshippers clogging up the search results.

8 Likes
ReverieRelics
Inspiration Seeker

They also claim I was not charged for the deactivated listing, but I have yet to see a refund for my listing fee. This seems illegal and if they do not answer I may contact my state consumer agency who usually has better luck getting a real answer.

Regardless of the outcome, I have inventory sitting and Etsy has cost me time and potential sales from my item not being listed in search and in carts.

8 Likes

ReverieRelics

THIS!!!!! I believe that this is the main reason a lot of this is being done. They're looking for an excuse to put us all of reserve payments. I said this a few weeks ago, but I was pretty much ignored.

I had 2 steering wheel covers removed yesterday with the threat of putting me of reserve if or when they put them back up for sale.

The two removed covers are very generic and low sellers. All of my covers have the same description, because I'm just that lazy. 

My guess is that when they are finally released I will join the group of reserve people. 

My sales tanked last october so there isn't going to be much use in holding my money. LOL, that jokes on Etsy. How very sad is this situation?

2 Likes
StocksLord
Inspiration Seeker

I agree with you 100%. Because I am facing the same problem. My listing does not violate any Etsy policy. But I'm told "drug paraphernalia" is involved.

2 Likes

Maybe the bot is doing drugs! 

4 Likes
After9Marbles
Conversation Maker

Im betting its due to those replacements being handmade Star Wars / Disney accessories. I am not sure but I dont think you can make items and use the Star Wars name for them. While I think there is a legitimate need for the items I bet that is what your issue is. Those sales could have been someone targeting you and you should hope it isnt Star Wars / Disney. There is a saying don't mess with the mouse. 3,000 sales of replicas for Disney products and it seems your on the radar now. It may be wise to remove the Handmade Disney items before Etsy closes your shop and potentially get sued by Disney. Someone with more knowledge may be able to guide you better but I feel that is your issue. 

1 Like

Well since the emails from Etsy specifically that my items were removed for being drug paraphernalia I doubt this has anything to do with any copyright reasons. My hand made items are changed enough from the originals not to fall into that category either. 

2 Likes

Of my 3000 plus sales the replacement accessories don't amount to 10% of my sales. The majority of my sales are of vintage figures. There are literally hundreds of shops on Etsy that sell relacement/reproduction items for VintagebStar Wars figures. The items I sell are not currently being produced by any company associated with SW. They are all for figures that have not been produced since 1985.

0 Likes

Even though you have changed the replacement accessories enough to not look identical to the originals you are using the trademarked name of Star Wars and the character names to make money from them.  How some were removed for drug paraphernalia, I couldn't even guess why.  

1 Like
After9Marbles
Conversation Maker

I wonder if etsy is sending blanket emails. Seems many are getting the same email lately. Maybe an etsy glitch. Glad to hear you looked into the handmade items or know how to get around it. I have read a few Disney stories where sellers got caught up in some legal issues on top of loosing their etsy store. Hope they figure it out for you on Monday. 

1 Like

Curiously, yours is the second post I've read tonight about having Star Wars merchandise removed...

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/OK-Etsy-you-are-really-being-STUPID/td-p/142510866

"...Of my 3000 plus sales the replacement accessories don't amount to 10% of my sales. The majority of my sales are of vintage figures. There are literally hundreds of shops on Etsy that sell relacement/reproduction items for VintagebStar Wars figures. The items I sell are not currently being produced by any company associated with SW. They are all for figures that have not been produced since 1985...."

None of that hasn't any bearing.  IP infringement is IP infringement.

"...the replacement accessories don't amount to 10% of my sales...."

That's sort of like saying I'm just a little bit pregnant.

6 Likes

@EchoBaseVintage: As mentioned, the Etsy bots seem to be over zealous lately, and there have been multiple reports of the deactivation eMail being incorrect as to the reason. The fact that you have been selling something for years only means that the bots have been updated. If there are other shops selling similar items it only means that they have not been caught yet. The bots seem to check when a listing is created, renewed and / or edited.

It is hard to speculate on why a particular listing was deactivated, but as mentioned before Etsy is cracking down on what they feel inappropriate. Copyright and trademark infringements is a large factor. Since Etsy is now also factoring descriptions in search, they along with titles, tags, and materials (and possibly even alt tags if you are using them) are all probably being checked. And the bots are also "reading" images.

0 Likes

Well, it looks like there re MANY shops getting items deactivated because of "Drug Paraphernalia" all over. I am guessing that when they made the new Listing tool that they updated their list of words that get flagged. They are going to be pretty over worked when they log in on Monday and see thousands of listing that need physical review. Let's hope they get it fixed. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.