Handmadebuysteph
Inspiration Seeker

Star seller

Jump to solution
  • My star seller status we dinged due to a message I received from a purchase I made not from one of my customers. I’ve replied to all my customers on a timely matter. Is there a way to avoid that or a way to disconnect my shop app from my sellers app?
Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Star seller

Jump to solution

It has always worked this way. ALL initial messages need a reply or be marked as spam. It does not matter who sends the message or why it was sent. Reply or spam.

View solution in original post

3 Likes
21 Replies

Jump to solution

It has always worked this way. ALL initial messages need a reply or be marked as spam. It does not matter who sends the message or why it was sent. Reply or spam.

3 Likes
Handmadebuysteph
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you! 

1 Like
Smudgekitty
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

The only way to avoid that, other than to reply (or mark as spam, which I personally wouldn't do) is to have an account just for buying.  If you set up a buyer only account, be sure to disclose the other account in each profile.

0 Likes
MikkiMadeDesigns
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Star seller takes into account any messages--not just from customers. There is no way for the system to differentiate that. You have to respond to all messages --or send irrelevant ones to spam. Consider opening a separate buyer account if you don't want messages about your purchases coming to your shop message account. 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

This has happened to us!! 
Received a message from a shop I ordered from, informing me of some details about the product. Didn't even think it would count because I read it on the main Etsy app. Gutted. 

0 Likes
OverToYou
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I believe Etsy has removed my Star seller badge incorrectly. They only counted messages up to 27th November, if they had included messages up to 29th November my badge would not have been removed. Not sure how to contact Etsy about this.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

It takes 19 answered messages to counterattack 1 unanswered message.

2 Likes
OverToYou
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

Thank you for replying, I had 21 messages, the last one was replied to on the 29th November, only one was a late reply. Etsy seems to have stopped including messages after 27th November even though they say the qualifying period is up to the 30th November.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@OverToYou: Message are assigned to the month that the reply by window closes. Also Star Seller stats are in UTC not your time zone so what is November 30 to you may be December 1 to Etsy. You should look at the applicable CSV file for details, it is also in UTC.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I was demoted this month too due to a message that had nothing to do with my store- someone was asking if I could buy her items in order to sell in my store.  Have been a star seller for past 6 months.  This really bothers me. I suppose Etsy can't look at all the content of the message they assume I am ignoring.  This same person has emailed me several times and this is the first time I just chose not to answer.  Really not fair

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@oldnursestreasures  This scenario is what the spam button if for. Just mark those messages as spam. You have to reply to or spam all initial messages you receive. Does not matter who sent it. It has always worked this way.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

same here..... mine was also cut because a buyer ended up changing their mind on an order and I had to remake it and needed more time, after already updating the ship-by-date once... It would not let me change the date again and I contacted etsy and the person claimed that I would not lose my star badge but I did...... upsetting

2 Likes
CKUnderground
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

In those cases, I print the label ahead of time. I'm not playing this game with Etsy while trying to actually provide good service to a picky client. Client changed their mind and is FINE with waiting. Etsy is the only one being a Karen in this situation.

0 Likes
MaggzMakez
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

This same thing happened to me and I really hope that Etsy takes some time to evaluate how this impacts sellers. It is inconvenient to have multiple accounts for selling and buying on Etsy and the Star Seller program should be one that encourages people to improve their customer service, not deter sellers. The only thing I didn't qualify for this month was the messages because I didn't reply to an auto message sent with care instructions for a tshirt I ordered from another seller on the platform. My Star Seller status should have nothing to do with my messaging related to an order I place from another shop. This is just another frustrating feature from Etsy that makes it more difficult to recommend this platform to others looking to start selling their goods online.

5 Likes

Jump to solution

MaggzMakez, I wonder if Etsy sees thes comments in Forum and adjusts the Matrix?  It it were shipping, that would be made up in no time, but I really don't get very many messages and now few it will take months to climb back above 95%

1 Like

Jump to solution

I just had the same thing happen to me. I made a purchase and the seller sent me a message. The message was not worded in a way that implied a need for a reply, so I didn't reply (and subsequently got dinged for not replying).

The Etsy support person basically said I should "game" the message system by setting up an auto-reply. So, I'll do that and then just use my original Etsy customer account for future purchases.  Very annoying.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

I would not worry about it, I have never received any benefits from being a star seller. It's a useless system our regular feed back should cover it all.

1 Like
CKUnderground
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

This happened to me. If Etsy's solution is that I have to get a second account instead of programming their site correctly (they KNOW I was the buyer in that transaction, don't gimmie that garbage answer that they can't know - my order was attached to the message), then my solution is to no longer be a customer on Etsy. It's a bummer, but I'm not jumping thru the same circus hoops to buy on this platform as I do having to sell on this platform.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have never been a star seller, and likely won't either, due to the "On-time shipping". With 100% response time and Average rating of 5, my On time shipping is at 80%... because I ship to my fellow Canadians, using a stamped oversize envelope.  In order to be considered on time, the shipping has to be Tracked or printed with Etsy labels, which means letter mail works against me, even though I mark it as Completed/shipped, within the stated time period. I try to ignore the "badge" by focusing on my shop, service & customers, their comments are more important to me than an automated rating

0 Likes

Jump to solution

I don't see any plus to being a star seller. I have been one all year long and nothing has changed. Search placement is no better and no perks for having it. So Etsy must not place much value on it either I would not worry about it.

0 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@MemorialStoneDesigns  That used to be true, but not anymore.  Etsy uses Star Seller metrics to decide Reserves.  

The carrot and stick both became bigger.  

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.