Star Seller penalized for no tracking on orders that didn't require tracking

Jump to solution

I had an order that was hand-delivered to a neighbor on my street, and an order for an item upgrade (no actual item just an upgrade to custom painting). These were things that didn't require shipping, yet my star-seller status was negatively affected by them. There's also a recent order that DID have a tracking number, that showed up on my downloaded spreadsheet as missing tracking!

What can we do about hand-delivered orders and orders that aren't actual items (like an upgrade to custom details after the initial purchase)?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Star Seller penalized for no tracking on orders that didn't require tracking

Jump to solution

@CraigWDesignShop: If you have not yet done so, you might want to read https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000338067-How-to-Offer-Local-Pickup-or-Delivery?segment=s...

Will local pickup orders be part of my evaluation for a Star Seller badge?

All physical listing orders must include a valid tracking number or a shipping label purchased on Etsy to be considered for a Star Seller badge. At this time, we’re unable to make exceptions for local pickup orders.

This also applies to delivery orders.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies

Re: Star Seller penalized for no tracking on orders that didn't require tracking

Jump to solution

You can't do anything about hand delivered orders, for star seller
At this time, orders that don't have tracking because they are delivered or picked up in person will be considered dispatched without tracking, and will not meet the Star Seller criteria for dispatch.

For ones with tracking, sometimes the number isn't entered properly, or it is entered, or changed, after the dispatch date, or aftership has a hiccup linking the carrier tracking with etsy

0 Likes
Marmalady
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

For hand delivery / pickup -- nothing you can do. You will be dinged

For "add-ons" manually enter the same tracking number as for the main order

For ones that do have tracking, sometimes the tracking takes a few days to register on Aftership. If it still says no tracking, you might have success in getting it changed by contacting Etsy, but no guarantees

1 Like

Jump to solution

Having a website resolves the problem.

1 Like

Jump to solution

Etsy does say that for orders under $10 or hand delivered do not need tracking.  That doesn't mean not having tracking won't be counted against you.  You need to read everything in the seller handbook and terms of use to find all the little loop holes that Etsy utilizes to make sure they can do what they want to do which is ding you on your star seller rating.  But the star seller rating means nothing right now and will probably never have more impact on search results than free shipping did.  I would stop stressing about it and just run your shop the best way you know how.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@CraigWDesignShop: If you have not yet done so, you might want to read https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000338067-How-to-Offer-Local-Pickup-or-Delivery?segment=s...

Will local pickup orders be part of my evaluation for a Star Seller badge?

All physical listing orders must include a valid tracking number or a shipping label purchased on Etsy to be considered for a Star Seller badge. At this time, we’re unable to make exceptions for local pickup orders.

This also applies to delivery orders.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

That doesn't seem fair. Is there some pseudo tracking number we can enter in these cases? Some fake number?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@CraigWDesignShop: Fair or not, those are rules ...

"Is there some pseudo tracking number we can enter in these cases? Some fake number?" Etsy relies on a third party vendor for tracking (and tracking number validation) and uses the data on the order. A package that is never scanned will eventually revert to shipped without tracking. In addition to opening yourself up to claims made by the buyer (not delivered, etc) intentionally entering a tracking number you know is false could be considered by Etsy as  a fraudulent act.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@CraigWDesignShop 

etsy doesn't even recognise some real tracking numbers from Royal mail - as aftership and Royal Mail don't work well together

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Some end run it by buying a letter rate FC letter Etsy label and sending a receipt but with the new buyer protection all the buyer would have to do is open a case and say I ordered this end table and he just sent me a letter!..and get a full refund. I would keep local sales off Etsy if possible. If not you are going to take the hit and hope your other sales keep your %up. No good deed...

0 Likes

Jump to solution

This was for a friend across the street. Hard to say no to her.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.