Someone wants to buy my shop?

Hi all,

Had a rather weird message today, from someone who wanted to buy my shop.  Gave me two types of offers, one where he/she takes over all my sales and posting etc, which would be hard as I am in Australia.  Second type of offer, he/she offers me between $800 and $1000 for the shop.

Any other similar occurences?

Paul

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
17 Replies

Re: Someone wants to buy my shop?

@PaulsTimberCreations  - This is a scam, pure and simple. Etsy does not allow shops to be sold. If you did decide to take the scammer up on their offer, all your personal information would still be attached to the shop. You'd be responsible for any income taxes due, etc.

14 Likes

Scam, you are not allowed to sell your shop

2 Likes
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Mark as spam!

2 Likes
Cozyimo
Post Crafter

It's possible that the person contacting you is trying to engage in fraudulent activity, which could involve stealing information. Remember that Etsy doesn't permit the buying and selling of shops, so this offer is definitely suspicious. It's essential to be vigilant and not share any personal or sensitive information with them. Consider reporting this to Etsy to help protect yourself and others from potential scams.

1 Like
PawPets
Crafty Poster

Yes! Mark their messages as spam. Plus, not allowed to sell shop on Etsy. Report it.

1 Like

@PaulsTimberCreations: In addition to @JMOldeVintage excellent comments, you also would be liable for any illegal activity they may take. Even if they legitimately "manage" your shop for you, Etsy shutting down any shop they touch would most likely get yours shut down, too.

1 Like

scam scam scam

they want to buy your financial details or your identity or cover for nefarious activities.

2 Likes

firstly, Etsy won't let you sell your shop.

Secondly, even if they did...all of your financial details/personal information are attached to this shop. There's no way to remove that data. you okay with someone else to have such access?

OMG, no.

and..as others have said...SCAM

1 Like
michellepatterns
Conversation Maker

The want to buy your bank account and credit card information--not your actual shop.  They are just presenting it to you in a way that conceals their actual intent and in an offer that might look appealing to you.  

6 Likes

Thank you everyone,  I really wanted to highlight what goes on.  About 3 years ago somehow hacked into my shop and changed my password etc.  I couldnt get in myself.  Took me ages emailing back and forth to Etsy to correct everything

Paul

0 Likes

@PaulsTimberCreations I am also in Australia. Two of my Shops received this "scam" message yresterday.

It looked to me like a, somewhat, modifiedscammer  "modus operandi".

Did you have a brief greeting Message with pale blue image within the Message (not a normal image attachment) with text offering to operate or purchase your Shop? I am not sure how the scammers achieved this? I marked as "spam" and reported to Etsy.

But the concerning thing is that these "scammers" we able to attach/ incorporate  what looked like a "screenshot" or "PowerPoint" slide image within the Etsy message. 

0 Likes
givemeacrown
Conversation Maker

@CarpetCollectionAU I'm in Australia too and got that sort of thing in one of my shops. I didn't click on the image but the subject line was something about wanting to buy my shop so I spammed it.

I assumed it was triggered because I made a sale shortly before the message came in but maybe they were targeting Australian shops.

0 Likes

Etsy does not allow it

and it would be illegal in many countries, because of the customer information the shop has access to,
privacy laws say you can't sell , or give, access to that info

1 Like

@CraftyCornishMaids We all know this is a "scam"

My concern is the "image" within the Etsy Message.

It was completely different from anything else I have seen.

It was an "image" within the Etsy Message, not an attachment or Link.

How this is happening, I just do not know?

It is a pale blue "image" with text superimposed.

And it is IN the Message

I have reported all instances to Etsy

1 Like

Bonjour Paul,

J'ai eu également 2 messages de ce genre la semaine dernière et ils me proposent même 3000$ pour le rachat.

Il s'agit d'une pure arnaque. Les arnaqueurs ne recule devant rien, ils sont prêt à tout pour vous faire tomber dans un piège. Les boutiques Etsy ne sont pas vendables, toutes nos informations personnelles sont attachées à nos boutiques.

Attention donc 

Bonne courage

0 Likes
HealershubCo
Inspiration Seeker

Well that's a Scam i had those types of People Once ive Made facebook Ads For My Store , and do not Click on their links as their emails have Fake Payments the it will look like they they are Coming from Paypal and it will not be Paypal as the Sender Would Email would be Fake 

0 Likes
MoonkistDesigns
Inspiration Seeker

Wow, they've gone up in price. We got hit with a flurry of these on our stores at the beginning of the year and they were only offering up to $300 then. Definitely a scam, dump it in the spam folder where it belongs.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.