Shipping Handling Fees

Jump to solution

I'm wondering if my customers are being charged a handling fee for every item rather than per each order.  I have a $1.00 handling fee per order in the shipping settings.  That covers my shipping supply costs, I do not have them built into my pricing.  I have had it this way for YEARS.  

Currently I've noticed that calculated shipping prices are showing up higher than they should be.  It's almost as if the system is charging $1.00 per item.  I've noticed this has recently been happening with any order that has more than one item or more and below the $35.00 free shipping promotion.  I have several orders that I have to gather information for and then send to Etsy to ask them for help.  It's unfortunate that I can't pull a report of some kind to see this information so I don't have to go through Etsy help.

I've only caught this because the shipping prices being charged are odd numbers.  For instance a 1 item order used to charge $4.13 for a two ounce package.  Now the customer is being charged $5.13 for the package.  The $4.13 charge is the correct charge as the shipping is $3.18 plus the $1.00 handling.    

Anyone else noticing this?  How did you get it resolved?  

Thanks! 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Shipping Handling Fees

Jump to solution

"For US sellers, you can add an optional Package fee. This fee will be applied to an order when this package preference is used, regardless of the number of items in the order. The package fee is in addition to any handling fees that you set as part of your calculated shipping profiles."

Part of this article

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013946647-How-to-Set-Up-Calculated-Shipping-?segment=sell...

under how to select package preferences

Doesnt surprise me the wording blurb is wrong.

View solution in original post

1 Like
8 Replies

Jump to solution

A handling fee is charged per item, a packaging fee is charged per order.

Make sure it's in the right box. It could be with the way shipping is handled in the new listing layout, it's put it in the wrong place.

Packaging fee is on each package in the package preferences, and handling fee is on the calculated shipping profile.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion!  I just looked and my packaging preferences show's zero dollars.   In shipping profiles in the handling fee section I have $1.00 per domestic & $1.00 for international.  The handling fee should only be charging per order according to the blurb under the handling fee option.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

"For US sellers, you can add an optional Package fee. This fee will be applied to an order when this package preference is used, regardless of the number of items in the order. The package fee is in addition to any handling fees that you set as part of your calculated shipping profiles."

Part of this article

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013946647-How-to-Set-Up-Calculated-Shipping-?segment=sell...

under how to select package preferences

Doesnt surprise me the wording blurb is wrong.

1 Like
TBQSC
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@WyldeThymeStudio in that particular setup that you have in shipping profile, it will charge per item.  You need to remove the fee from shipping profile and instead put it in your package preferences ... this way the entire order is only charged $1 extra and not per item.  Are you using fixed or calculated rates?  A 2-oz package ships @ $4.13 via the new Ground Advantage rates.

As I look at your shop, I see MANY items that infringe upon Disney and other company's IP ... selling these "handmade" items is actually against Etsy TOU, unless you have the proper licensing from the original artist.  I know Disney is very protective of their brand and does not give out licensing rights.  Etsy's Intellectual Property Policy 

1 Like

Jump to solution

@TBQSC  only calculated shipping can use handling and packaging fees.

2 Likes

Jump to solution

Hi, I just noticed I was charged $1.00 for multi quantity listings plus the normal 20 cents for renewal fee, when did this start and it is totally unreasonable!

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@PerfectStitches: "I was charged $1.00 for multi quantity listings plus the normal 20 cents for renewal fee"  Did you sell a quantity of six of the same listing on the same order? If yes, it has been that way for years (20 cent renewal fee for each sold line item).

0 Likes

Jump to solution

When I was selling beads, I changed all the weights to less than 1 ounce. Since then I charge a flat rate.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.