Scammers every single day

Оrdеr prоcеssing systеm! Hеllо, your shоp is tеmpоrаrily unаblе tо аccеpt nеw оrdеrs. Tо rеstоre thе shоp аnd sее nеw оrders in yоur prоfilе, plеаsе writе yоur е маil in the chаt. Yоu will bе sеnt а nоtificаtiоn whеrе yоu cаn cоmplеtе а simplе vеrificаtiоn. Rеgаrds, Еtsу.

This is what I've got on message board. What is Etsy doing about this?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
12 Replies

Re: Scammers every single day

Well, they are closing the accounts that are sending these as fast as they are discovered but it is like playing "Whack-A-Mole".

They have created an inbox in messages that is titled "From Etsy" and have repeatedly warned people that unless a message is in there it is NOT from Etsy.

There are yellow warnings in the message center warning people. Unfortunately a lot of people just click the x  stating that they have read it WITHOUT reading it and it never comes back once gone.

Also a lot of these scam messages make absolutely NO SENSE as in you must put money INTO your account in order to get paid. Why would you fall for that? Would you pay $300 in hopes of getting paid for a $10 sale?  IF it doesn't make sense it's in all likelihood a scam.

All one really has to do is use  common sense.

6 Likes

They are also apparently limiting the amount of messages accounts can send in one day. That should slow them down. I think I saw that they are also changing it so that you can only message through a shop or in response to a query.

The problem is that anyone can message a seller (a customer, another seller, etc.). It behooves everyone to just take precautions and think things through. Same when you get a bogus phone call or email that is an obvious scam. I get those all the time. We all do.

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

I know scammers are everywhere, but there has been an infestation of them here unfortunately. And I'm sorry you're going through this. Trying to run your Shop and deal with these idiots. They target new Sellers as well as seasoned ones. Oftentimes, they appear shortly after someone lists their first item/s. These thieves are using threats of suspension, or "Verification" as one of their scams, posing as Etsy Staff/Support, etc.   When you receive a LEGIT Message from Etsy Support/Staff, etc., it will appear in the "From Etsy" Folder (in Messages). If it isn't there, Mark the Message as Spam (so you don't get dinged for S Seller).  *"From Etsy" Folder was not on the App until recently (a highlighted blurb on the Message). The thing is, should you not see this first (and be familiar with it), you could receive a scammer's Message beforehand. Also, the App does not allow you to Mark the Message as Spam (you must use a browser instead, or use the Buyer App).

Also for future, many scammers are posing as "Buyers", stating they need your email for an Order. They don't, Etsy already has it. When you receive a LEGIT Order, it will appear in "Orders & Shipping" (Left Column of Shop Dashboard); if it isn't there, you have no Order.  Mark the scammer's Message as Spam (so you don't get dinged for S Seller).  And never click on links or engage with them.

I honestly don't get why Etsy can't nail these FAKE accounts who are impersonating Etsy Staff/Support, etc. It's happening way too often. Here is the Announcement about the "From Etsy" Folder (currently this is in past Announcements).
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/New-From-Etsy-section-in-Messages/m-p/143722497#M1899

Here is the other Announcement, "Protect Your Account With These Security Tips" (recently re-pinned at the top of Announcements).
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/Protect-Your-Account-With-These-Security-Tips/m-p/143158...

Hope this is helpful to you, and I really hope this garbage ceases.

1 Like

Etsy is doing the best they (think they) can but I've a perfect example of something good they did and then undid ... for reasons unknown.

My (very smart daughter) opened a shop in January. She got some scam messages but thankfully thought about it, recognised it and spoke to me about it. I went over to her place yesterday and took a look at her back-of-house to check she had everything set up right. We go to the message page so I can show her the 'from Etsy' and the warning pop up ... and there's no warning pop up. 'Did you x it out?' I ask her. She looks at me blankly. I ask again, explain what it is etc ... 'No, I guess I clicked on 'got it' and I haven't seen it since'. She couldn't remember what it said.

Why is it that Etsy can force us to have whatever lame announcement/link on our dashboards for days/weeks/months without the ability to x it out but will allow a very important warning message to be clicked away forever? Even if you think you've 'got it', having that there is a reminder to remain vigilant. Perhaps allow an x-out but once you leave the page and return, it pops up again. That and put 'from Etsy' on the app.

3 Likes
SugarTaffySoap
Conversation Maker

@BallroomCompJewelry  You say: "What is Etsy doing about this?"  Why don't you ask Etsy rather than post in the forums asking sellers!!  

0 Likes

likely because maybe someone else knew?

I mean, I'm less upset about questions like this than questions from newbies on how to make the very items they are selling...or how to word IP violations so that they won't get caught...or how to market, as handmade, their 'curated' items...or how to do many other things.

this is a real biz question. JMO.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, new shops and those that don't look finished appear to be the ones most heavily targeted by scammers. @BallroomCompJewelry, I encourage you to give your shop a finished look by uploading a Banner, declare your location, create an About page to share the inspiration and process for the things you're creating, and definitely set up your policies. Best to you with your new shop.

2 Likes
LastCentury
Community Maker

scammers especially love newbies. One thing you can do to help yourself is make your shop look like it is being run by a pro with completed shop front, an experienced shop that knows what they are doing & unlikely to engage with scammers. Your shop is incomplete.

Add an About with video / pics, Add a banner, Add shop policies, fill your Featured Items slots.

No guarantee, but it needs to be done regardless.

0 Likes

Specifically answering what Etsy has done to combat the influx of scammers -

* There is now a yellow banner / lozenge under the real legit messages from Etsy (viewable on desktop and app)

* There is now a section in the messages titled "From Etsy", where only legit Etsy messages appear - only available on desktop, for now

* New sellers should have seen a banner across messages warning against scams - it was a one-time dismiss with an X thing 

* any message containing an outside link (even legit ones) have a pop-up warning about leaving Etsy

* Sellers should have seen a link on their dashboard about protecting yourself against scams (sorry, not sure when that was)

* Many reports of attempts to respond to these scam messages show that the account has already been removed by Etsy

* Last week or so, there is no way to message anyone through their profile.  Scammers can still message Sellers thru their shop or listings, and Seller can still answer potential Customer messages, and contact current/past Buyers through their transaction page.

So yes, Etsy is trying.  There have been numerous posts (including one I started) with suggestions on how Etsy could do even more.

2 Likes

More to read: 

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Announcements/Protect-Your-Account-From-Scammers/m-p/143158945#M1882

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/How-to-Spot-a-Scam-No-a-Buyer-Doesn-t-Need-Your-Ema...

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000343128-How-to-Handle-Spam-and-Suspicious-Messages

If you receive an actual order, you will see it in your "Orders and Shipping" section and you will receive an email from Etsy notifying you that you have a sale, and there will be a notification in your dashboard as well.

0 Likes
FeltWithAHeart
Conversation Maker

I had one of those "I came across your shop and don't think your items are getting the notice they should" blah blah blah, and offering to help me "reach my potential". It went right to spam, but I can see a newbie being all flattered and clicking on it to find out more, and of course that's what they're hoping for. There are just way too many dishonest people out there!

1 Like

I had two of those yesterday.

I'm an older shop and didn't have scam messages until yesterday - then 2 back to back. And one used two different accounts to message me.

I do appreciate Etsy trying ... but it is like whack a mole and it will probably be like that unless there is no benefit to the scammers ... so please don't fall for scams ... it just incents more scamming.

Sigh

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.