DragonsofWales
Inspiration Seeker

Royal Mail Postage Issue

Hi, 
I’m based in the UK and  purchase all my postage via Etsy. I then arrange collection of larger items using Royal Mail’s Click & Drop service. 
As of today (September 3rd) , when I scan the postage label’s QR code, Royal Mail’s website is telling me that the item is ineligible for collection. This includes international and domestic items. 
I can arrange collection for postage purchased directly via Royal Mails website, but everything purchased via Etsy is apparently “ineligible” for collection. I really need to know if this is a change in RM/Etsy policy or a technical glitch? Royal Mail say they are unaware of any technical issues. 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
18 Replies
3dGameCraft
Inspiration Seeker

Re: Royal Mail Postage Issue

I'm in the same boat, wondering whats going on as hoping for a collection tomorrow and facing the same issue. I may try buying one item on the royal mail site then hope my kind post lady will take all the rest I've been unable to book.

1 Like
DragonsofWales
Inspiration Seeker

I suppose at least it’s not just me. They really need to get this fixed though. I’m sure the problem is RM, not Etsy, but it’s a real pain. 

1 Like

This morning it's impossible to book a collection directly through Royal Mail Click and Drop aswell.

I've been trying since 8am.

I wish Royal Mail were more proactive with updates, as this is obviously an issue that's been going on since yesterday evening!

1 Like
Arcalliq
Community Maker

I booked a collection last night but I wasn't given the time slot as usual. So something must be going on their end

ETA - just checked the downdetector and reports of issues are quite high right now

1 Like

@Arcalliq I didn't get the timeslot either for the ones booked on yesterday, but they were picked up as normal - phew!

But now I can't book anything on at all for collection, and I've got a guaranteed 24 hour delivery parcel to book on

Is it too much to expect from Royal Mail to just keep us updated on issues?

0 Likes
Arcalliq
Community Maker

@TheSherbetPatch oh that's great to hear your collection today happened. Hopefully, my packages will be collected too!

But absolutely agree, it's so annoying when they just don't let people know and keep them updated. Looks like RM is learning from Etsy!!!

1 Like
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@TheSherbetPatch @Arcalliq Every now and then, Royal Mail collection wouldn't show a scheduled time slot but they do turn up to collect in the usual time slot. 

0 Likes
Arcalliq
Community Maker

@Artbesico They did show up pretty much on time but last Tuesday (after bank holiday) they did not show up at all which did make me worried about yesterday's pick up

0 Likes

It's a problem with Royal mail, I bought postage online this morning through RM click and drop but this message came up -

Sorry!

Our free collection service is currently unavailable at the moment, but don't panic, Post Office branch drop off is free for all services.

I was able to purchase it and drop it of at the post office.

1 Like

@LittleGemsJewells That's the issue I have, my local post office was closed down a few months ago, so I rely on the collection service.

It's their lack of updates that I find so frustrating!

1 Like

@TheSherbetPatch I can understand especially when it's a service that you and others depend upon, if you at least had prior knowledge that they would not be able to collect then you could try to make alternative arrangements beforehand.

Then again it must be a site wide problem with the system rather than regional because I am in NI and we are not able to use the collection service either.

1 Like

i managed to do click and drop this evening buying postage on line, i have the receipt but its showing as sender preparing item when tracked, so it now looks like its pre transit on etsy and sender prepapring item, we are expecting it, so the post office scan has not gone through

0 Likes

All back up and running today, but too late to book the parcels I paid for yesterday for collection today.

I'm sending mine to the post office this morning with a friend.

But the ones I posted yesterday said no extra to pay for post office drop off, whereas the one I printed this morning asked for a 16p surcharge.

I've paid the surcharge on today's, but I'm hoping there won't be a problem with yesterday's , which had the 16p surcharge greyed out?

Does anyone know if the greyed out surcharge yesterday was because the collections option was down?

1 Like

Yes there was no surcharge added yesterday because the pick up was not available so they redirected customers to drop of at their local PO so yesterday's had no additional 16p surcharge for dropping of. @TheSherbetPatch glad you were able to make alternative arrangements for today's orders going out.

1 Like

@LittleGemsJewells so it'll be fine to drop yesterday's no surcharge one at the post office today, without it being spat out of the post office system?  Just because the post office is miles away and I'm sending it with a friend!

0 Likes

@TheSherbetPatch yes it should be fine, you just drop it of as normal the P.O. weighs it scans the QR code and prints of your postage receipt. 

1 Like
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

When buying postage on the Royal Mail website for Royal Mail Tracked24/48, it's free for arranged collection but if you choose to take them to the post office yourself, there is a charge of 16p.

0 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@Arcalliq When they first started the collection service, it was quite unreliable. Occasionally they didn't turn up and sometimes their device failed to scan the barcode. Now it is more reliable.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.