Refunding an order - total different to what was received

I’m looking for some advice, I have agreed with a buyer to do a partial refund, there are no issues with item they’ve just decided they don’t want it anymore. 

so I’ve gone to process a partial refund however the amount they want to charge to my card is significantly higher than the amount they paid me in the first place, I’ve worked out that it’s the VAT element and some other elements but why would Etsy be asking me to pay more than I received in the first place? I don’t make many sales on here it’s more of a hobby/side hustle and so the difference between the two amounts it’s the difference between not having enough funds to cover the refund and having enough. Any advice would be appreciated 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
3 Replies
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Re: Refunding an order - total different to what was received

If you process the refund when there are sufficient available funds in your Etsy Account to cover it, Etsy takes the refund from those funds and returns the fees on the refunded portion of the sale.  However, if you process a refund when your account has insufficient funds Etsy will take what is available in your Etsy account, and charge any shortfall to your credit card on file.  Either way its a wash.  

0 Likes

@ThemeParkCreations: "... why would Etsy be asking me to pay more than I received in the first place?" It is possible that you are just seeing the  accounting. For example, if you have a sale for $100 plus $10 tax when you refund if you will be debited $110 then you will be credited $10. A wash, but if your Etsy balance was $0 they may charge your card $110.

1 Like

It could also be a currency conversion fee. If you're in one country and your buyer is in another country, you may be seeing the currency rate for today. Not saying that's the problem, but it's always a possibility!

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.