Prohibited Items Policy listing removal agarwood from VietNam

Hello everyone,

Recently, I have listing removal from Etsy. Because as in their email, my items cause violen Prohibited items policy. 

But Agarwood is in the CITES Appendix  type II, it can be exported. 

If because that reason, I think all sellers who sell agarwood should be removed the listings. Because they sell agarwood. 

But in fact that agarwood can be exported.  I also have CITE paper license which approved to export.

So what I can do now ?

Please help me. because my store has been working many years on Etsy.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
24 Replies
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Re: Prohibited Items Policy listing removal agarwood from VietNam

1 Like

I read, but my items are wood, raw wood, not seeds, or something dangerous. and also agarwood is Cite type II. It can be exported. 

And at my point, I see no harm to Etsy policy. if it harms to Etsy policy, many sellers should be removed

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Etsy use an automated system (bots) to remove problem listings, so errors can occur. Give it a few days and then if the listings have not been reviewed by a human you can try contacting Etsy Support directly and ask them to review the listings.

However, I know nothing about plants but a quick Google search tells me that agarwood (Aquilaria malaccensis) is an endangered species and export is banned in many countries (e.g. India) so it could be that Etsy have now decided to ban it completely. If this is the case, then the reason that you are still seeing other active listings is that the bots only scan listings for prohibitions when they are published or edited. Therefore listings created and published BEFORE the bots were updated to include agarwood will not be affected UNTIL they are relisted or edited.

I hope you get some clarification on the issue from Etsy. Was there no explanation in the email you should have received from Etsy when the listings were deactivated?

3 Likes

Thank you,

But when we use ads, that should be scanned right? So, it should be scan when they run ads?

Also, some of listings, already had orders. So, if they scan when we edited/relisted or created, they should be deactivated right away. is it right?

0 Likes
nineteen27
Community Maker

etsy closed lots of shops last year.

for selling agarwood.

most of the agarwood being sold.

has been illegally harvested.

the fact that etsy is removing yours.

yet.

your shop is still filled with agarwood.

means you are not listening to their warning.

So what I can do now ?

remove your agarwood listings.

until etsy gives you permission to put them back.

4 Likes

Also, how do you know it is illegaly harvested ? because now people plant agarwood trees a lot. people in indonesia, cambodia, vietnam, china, and other asia countries plant it.

0 Likes

Thank you,

But agarwood in Vietnam is: Aquilaria  Crassna and follow CITE Website: Appendices | CITES - https://cites.org/eng

when you search AGARWOOD, it is in Type II. and it has been clearly define that it can be exported.

That is why I am really confused and not feel well about this. Because, I already submit the cite paper for exporting. So, I know it can be exported and of course some countries banned it as india or Sri lanka

0 Likes

If a large proportion of agar wood being sold has been illegally harvested, Etsy is most likely taking the view that it doesn’t want to risk illegal products are being traded on its platform. The risk for the company is too great. I would remove all your agarwood listings before they do. 

3 Likes

right now, it is legal to harvest agarwood. Agarwood market is not big but is is quite large. but people now plant agarwood legal. That is why CITE marks it at Type II. 

0 Likes

But if, under CITES, a certificate or license is required to import the wood, how will buyers do that? 

2 Likes

buyer does not need to require the import license. Because all CITE Certificate, it has shown name of seller and buyer. it will be declared by customs house.

Because seller has to show to customs house staff before the package can be departed.

0 Likes

Well show Etsy your certification and see what they say. But I wouldn’t be optimistic. 

1 Like

if I can update photo of files, I will show you all my CITE paper which accept for me to export the agarwood legally. That is what I mean.

1 Like
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

Whether or not agarwood can be exported from your country is only part of the story. 

Many governments disallow raw timbers in general to be IMPORTED into their countries for bio security reasons. 

Etsy also prohibits certain timbers and other materials from being sold on their site regardless of import/export laws, simply because they do not want to be held responsible if sellers of such materials do the wrong thing.  

If Etsy says no, the answer is no.  If you feel you should be allowed to sell this wood online, then you will need to look for another venue that will allow it.

6 Likes
Holzwirkstatt
Conversation Maker

Betreff: Prohibited Items Policy listing removal agarwood from VietNam

Hello @ThienThanhAgarwoodVN 
They also sell their items to Europe and Germany. Your shop lacks all the legal regulations necessary for this. No imprint, no data protection guidelines, no terms and conditions. No packaging licenses for Germany, France and Spain. I would also look at Etsy's guidelines for handmade products. Many of their products are labeled as handmade even though they are not made by them.
Read the guidelines before it is no longer necessary because your shop is closed.

2 Likes

@Holzwirkstatt ,

Thank you.

That mean, I have to fill into the description how I made, packing, and label, and data protection. is it right ?

If that's the point, I can do it

0 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

@ThienThanhAgarwoodVN 

I think you are missing @Holzwirkstatt 's point. 

It appears many of your products originate from China, but you are in Vietnam and ship from there.  You  do not make these items yourself, you import them from China and sell them as Handmade, which by Etsy's standard, they are not.  Etsy 's definition of handmade is made by the seller themselves, or at the very least, designed by the seller and made by a production partner who makes the products ONLY FOR YOU.  Since these same items are all over the internet, you clearly are not making them, you are simply importing them for resale. You cannot resell items you buy from someone else on Etsy and claim them as handmade.  Your agarwood products have brought you to Etsy's attention, it probably won't be long till they look more closely at your shop and find other issues.

4 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

@ThienThanhAgarwoodVN   The planting / harvesting / processing / selling / shipping / etc. of agarwood may be legal in certain areas around you, but it may not be legal in certain other areas around the World due to regional &/or international border laws ... and because of this, Etsy may not want to deal with the legalities of it on their platform anymore ... therefore they may have decided it's best to deactivate listings and file violations against agarwood sellers.  It's nothing personal against you (or any other agarwood seller) ... it's just a business decision Etsy may have decided to make for their own platform.  All sellers must abide by Etsy's rules & decisions, which can & do frequently change at any given moment.  Sorry you were affected by their recent business decision!  I highly recommend that you do NOT re-list any of those items that Etsy has deactivated ... by doing so, you are sure to receive more violations and get your shop shut down pretty darn fast!   

For information regarding selling & shipping to EU/UK locations, this is what you need to read and add to your shop policies ... https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/selling-to-eu-and-uk-buyers/239965962014?ref=list

Good luck!

2 Likes

Cannabis is legal in some states/countries but Etsy won't let anyone sell it even if it's legal in their state.  Etsy's sandpit - Etsy's rules.  

I can't sell my Tritium jewellery designs on the platform so I sell them elsewhere.  

2 Likes

I just Etsy searched the most expensive wood in the world( its price its counted in human lives- regarding money it isnt the most expensive, but its the wood for which most illegal loggers are killed in the world).I remember when ive read the news about more than 30 people killed by the forest guards in India, for stealing a log of Pterocarpus Santalinus. 

Red Sandalwood. On sale, on Etsy,beads made in China. 

As for your agarwood, i know there are big plantations of it, now a days. 

You should provide the CITES certificate to Etsy and also notice the buyers about it in the announce. 

Maybe even post a picture of the certificate with blurred names but let the origin and the name of the specie to be shown. 

0 Likes

@ThienThanhAgarwoodVN 

Rather than trying to discuss facts with other sellers about the various legalities of selling various woods, a more fruitful approach might be learning how to deal with the bots.  The bots are what affect our selling experience here on Etsy, not the ins and outs of what is legal, illegal or even ethical.  Learn how the bots view our listings and learn what triggers their flags.  OK, yes, a human at EtsyCorp might get involved if you're lucky, but don't bank on that.  The bots & the bots alone decide what gets to be sold here.  

2 Likes

Thank you all,

I am appreciated a lot all your support. I was confused and really disappointed but now I understand I have to find something to do. 

I will try all your ideas and read carefully Etsy policy again and see what I should update.

Honestly, I love our Etsy community and you guys. Every time, I face something hard or have issue, I will have you all to support me. Thank you so much. I will try today and tomorrow update everything and see if they have any response my request and I will update new information here.

I would love to thank you so much.

2 Likes

@ThienThanhAgarwoodVN  - I will repost the link provided above: 

https://www.etsy.com/legal/policy/plants-herbs-seeds-and-soil/242685907951

This Etsy legal article includes this: 
 Etsy restrictions on sales to the United States...:
"This means that, for these countries, the buyer and seller must be located in the same country for sales of the following:  
"Organic fertilizers and soil conditioners, such as manure, compost, worm castings, worm/compost tea, sphagnum peat, grass clippings, straw, wood chips,..."

It doesn't make any difference that you are listing the chips for use with a barbeque grill. 
And sadly, if you did ship these listings to a buyer in the USA it is very likely US Customs would destroy the package. You would be out the money on the sale & have an unhappy buyer you would need to refund. 

1 Like

Thank you @JMOldeVintage ,

I see the problem now. Now I am worry about my store future. 

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.