Please help me understand this

I just got a message saying I have to confirm my bank details.  I was sent a qr code and instructions.  I followed instructions and ended up in my account authorising 250£ to verify my bank card. I just stopped at that point. Why do I have to pay £250 to etsy to verify my etsy account and payment option. Is this scam or standard etsy procedure? 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Marmalady
Conversation Maker

Re: Please help me understand this

SCAM!!!!!!!!

Etsy do not verify anything in this way

If you have given the scammers any financial info, contact your bank / cancel your bank card immediately before they take any money 

Any legitimate messages from Etsy will be in the "from Etsy" folder in Messages on your dashboard -- check on a browser, not an app

5 Likes

Did you receive the message in your inbox? If yes, is it in the 'From Etsy' section of your inbox? If not, mark the message as spam. 

If Etsy need you to re-confirm your bank details, they normally include a notification on your dashboard. And you will also find a notification in the finances section on your account. 

0 Likes

go to your shop in a browser, not the app

in the messages section, on the left, is all your folders,

All messages from Etsy are in the "From Etsy" folder, as well as the inbox folder

If it is not in the "From Etsy" folder, go to your inbox and mark it as spam - you will also see, it actually says, highlighted in blue, it is from a buyer account, so you know it's not from etsy there too.

etsy never verifies bank cards,

They verify bank account numbers, and you do it through the dashboard on etsy - never click away, off etsy.

contact your bank, cancel your card, and get a new one.

0 Likes

I agree, definitely a scam. As well as speaking to your bank, I would run a full virus check on your device as well, just to be safe. And then repeat it daily for a week and be on the lookout for any dodgy emails or slowdown in reaction time. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.