Photo sizes on shop home page?

I was just editing my shop layout (changing the queue of my featured listings) and afterwards I noticed the shape of all of the photos (featured and non featured) seem to have a different shape making the crop of the thumbnail off. They are all slightly taller than wider. Is this widespread? I checked on Chrome as well and I'm using a new Mac desktop. Thanks! 

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
15 Replies
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

Re: Photo sizes on shop home page?

As I view your photos within your Shop, they look good to me; nothing chopped off.  The Featured photos look larger than I recall.  But there was another Thread stating the same as you.  It appears to be a test which I am not currently in *(desktop computer, Chrome).

Let me see if I can find the other Thread.

0 Likes

Oh interesting. I did a quick skim before I posted but didn't see anything so I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who noticed. It's weird everything looked fine until I edited and then boom, weird cropping. I just signed out and viewed my shop and they still look weird. It's like everything is smushed in from either side and there is tons of white space on the margins of the screen. Definitely doesn't look good so I hope they don't make a permanent change. 

1 Like
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@juliegodseyjewelry   I agree. And we have no way of knowing what buyers see; how many view it out of whack.

Here is the other Thread.
https://community.etsy.com/t5/Managing-Your-Shop/Has-Etsy-resized-their-Gallery-photograph-spec-requ...

Dang it, I posted "Here is the other Thread", then didn't grab the link to that Thread.  It's in there now.  I'm losing it:)

1 Like

Yep, another test and I'm in it.  Etsy's testing process of: "Let's make changes that affect only certain people without telling anyone and see how much stress, anger, and confusion it causes in the forums to decide if we should go with it or not" continues to be their idiotic way of life.  They apparently never heard of inhouse testing on dummy accounts that doesn't confuse and piss off their live customers.

6 Likes

mine were chopped off too, in an ugly way, not like I adjusted it. so annoying and unasked. 

2 Likes

Ugh right? It seriously looks so stupid. I thought maybe I was seeing things so I'm glad to know I'm not alone but I'm sorry you're experiencing it as well!!

1 Like

I noticed the same in my shop too.  But when I go in to edit the thumbnail, it appears normal.  When I view my listings through the search, they look fine in the search results.

0 Likes
KoroniCreations
Inspiration Seeker

Hey there! Same to my shop, too. The main photos look cut to square shape and as I have words on some of the photos, they look cut and wrong... This has happened like a week ago, first on Chrome, then on the new Etsy app. Now on the app is okay, on some browsers everything looks fine, on other - not. This is why I contacted Etsy support yesterday and ask to look at this. They promised to send the issue to their technical support. As it looks it is happening with many other shops, I hope they will fix it soon. Hope this information helps and hope your shops photos get in their original look soon

1 Like

These tests are run on users, not on shops.  If you see wonky photos then you as a user are in the test.  The good news is that most users still see our shop photos in the usual way. 

0 Likes
artenorm
Inspiration Seeker

This must have something to do with the browser you are using. On Chrome (iMac) I have the same problem, with the browser "Brave" everything is fine.
Unfortunately, Etsy does not give a satisfying answer to this problem.

1 Like

My shop is looking the same. So annoying. On the home page, under some listings, the photos are showing so large, you can't even see the price. On others, they are chopped off with a weird color block. I hope this is fixed soon. My shop has always been streamlined. 

1 Like

Mine too, I went in and edited the size of some photos which were showing, to me, that they were large rectangles and covered the text of title. Fixed that but now I see others that were fine a few days ago, are shorter and the balance of space is taken up by a colour block. So frustrating and annoying.

0 Likes

@EnProvence: There seems to be at least one test going on with images (and possibly more than one) and not everyone is in the test - tests are user based so when you "fix" the pictures for those in the same test that you are in you break them for everyone else.

0 Likes

Same happened to me too this morning! I'm glad I checked the forum because I just got a new PC and I thought it was because of it

The picture have been chopped awfully. I don't know if I have to edit all of them or just wait and see what happens...

0 Likes

As we all know now probably, Etsy has changed our shop home listing photos to square. No more rectangle. Thing is, I can't zoom out to make my first listing image totally fit within the new square size. I DO NOT want to retake a first photo for all 270 of my items in my shop. Does anyone have any suggestions...? Also, what do I do when I'm taking new photos of new listings I'm adding to my shop so that they will look right whether they are rectangle shape or square shape? Is there a phone setting to make the photo look right in both aspects? Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.