For some unknown reason, almost all my listing have an "update required" red text over them.  I can't see what needs to be updated..when I scroll over the notice it says something about shipping, but when i go to shipping sections I don't see any issues.  Any suggestions on how to do whatever the required update is?

thanks!

Amanda

Re: My listings suddenly all say "update required" in red when I view listings in shop man

Jump to solution

All of our alerts have disappeared within the last 15 minutes as well!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Re: My listings suddenly all say "update required" in red when I view listings in shop man

Jump to solution

@MyOldWhiskeyWorkshop thanks for confirming that you are not seeing the warning anymore. I wondered if I had found a strange fix (or going mad) - probably the latter.

1 Like
TheInkyDeer
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Yep I'm confused too. Strangely my listings and shipping profiles are back to normal. All red update required boxes have disappeared. Has anyone else been so lucky? I'm concerned if it's just a temporary relief from this mess, especially as most people on the forum say it was not a glitch.

1 Like

Jump to solution
1 Like
TheInkyDeer
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

@BagmakerSupply Thanks but it doesn't really explain why it's fixed itself for me - the 'Update required' boxes aren't there anymore? I never changed any of my settings, I still have 'Other' on all of them.

1 Like
foxlyprints
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

My red boxes have disappeared too, and OTHER is still there on current shipping profiles. But disappeared on a new shipping profile creation. We are not out of the woods yet

1 Like

Jump to solution

After having to change the shipping profile on all listings yesterday ,I was informed of infringement in my Etsy shop. I had no idea of some of the wordings I used. Instead of helping a newbie I was informed that my shop will be suspended next time and I can never be a star seller even tho I just made the goal. I went through all my listings. I am beyond frustrated, because I put a lot of time and effort into my shop. IDK if there is anything else I need to fix , because there is no way of contacting Etsy to make sure they won't suspend me after all this work. Frustrated and pissed 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@TrendsByKM 

Anything with a known character is infringement. Using the characters in your designs or using the names in titles, descriptions or tags is infringement. I took a quick look in your shop and see a few just on the first few rows. Nightmares before Christmas, hocus pocus, winnie the pooh and friends etc.

You really should take some time to read up and educate yourself about intellectual property infringement, copyrights, trademarks etc etc.

Etsy has some article right here to get your started.

Start with this one https://www.etsy.com/legal/ip/

then this one https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/what-sellers-should-know-about/1001670906424

then this one here https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/intellectual-property-infringement/22398703823

Then this one about "inspired by..." and fan art https://www.etsy.com/ca/seller-handbook/article/fan-art-and-fair-use-one-truth-and-five/39402098770

Then google and do more reading and consult with an attorney well versed in IP law stuff if there are any parts you aren't understanding.

1 Like
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

@TrendsByKM  One that people don't realize:

SmileyFace and its variants are trademarked by Harvey Ball.  https://www.worldsmile.org/licensing

There are a few others in your shop.  If someone would look at it and think instantly "Movie" or "Book" or "Song", its likely trademarked and copyrighted.  

1 Like

Jump to solution

There are thousands of sellers on Etsy selling disney products and other items regarding infringement and yet all are star sellers . Like how is that even possible !!! 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Sure and there are thousands of people who speed while driving but don't get a ticket. Just because others are doing it does not mean its legal or ok to do. All the others just haven't been caught yet. While you may see thousands still listed what you don't see are all that were removed today or yesterday. 

If you wish to keep your shop I would really consider removing everything thats infringing on the ip rights of others. Ultimately it's your decision of course but it would really suck if etsy made the decision for you and closed your shop or worse one of the ip rights owners sued you. Its up to you.

1 Like
bradgoodell
Community Maker

Jump to solution

The way the law is written, the IP holder must file a DMCA take-down notice for each infringement.  This is a legal document that compels Etsy to act.  Companies often do sweeps of Etsy, Ebay, Amazon, etc.  Hundreds of shops received notices last week, hundreds more this week, hundreds more next week.

Thousands of listings are removed every year, thousands of shops are closed each year for repeated IP infringement.  In the meantime, thousands of new infringing listings pop up.

1 Like

Jump to solution

I saw the red banner warning on the app earlier, when I got home I checked on my laptop but it's gone now. I use "other" for all my listings, I really hope this was a bug because almost all my shipments to the West Coast don't arrive within the timeframe stated for UPS Ground and I don't qualify for the PPP as most of my orders are over $250, with shipping and taxes.

2 Likes
foxlyprints
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

https://community.etsy.com/t5/Technical-Issues/ANNOUNCEMENT-Update-Required-showing-on-Listings/m-p/...

"Sellers with impacted listings will see the “Update Required” alert on impacted listings. If your provider is not one of the dropdown options, we recommend you choose one of the listed services whose transit time is closest to the service you usually use."

The closest time frame is DHL 4-8 days, even when I do ship with DHL the parcels can take 5-30 business days to arrive if checked at customs for international shipments. Etsy are forcing me to lie to my customers about the actual shipping time then expect me to deal with a wave of unhappy customers around Christmas when their item did not arrive on time. This is such a bad decision, I get they want to be able to keep customers happy by letting them know about delays automatically but the consequences of being forced to misrepresent the shipping time are going to ruin the customer experience. 

2 Likes
DSNeedleAndHook
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution

I used the "other" option when people I know or people near me purchased items and I did not use any actual shipping carrier - it was local pickup or hand delivery.  I am unsure how to handle this now if I am being forced to choose a carrier and service type on all listings, as I will not have a trackable shipping number for them. Anyone else who may use local pickup have a solution to this, please? Thank you

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@DSNeedleAndHook 

You can refund the ship charge on the order for anyone who picks up. Then have a receipt for them to sign and date when they pick up, and send them a copy of that receipt using the Etsy letter mail option. It costs about the same as a stamp. This does not give you a real tracking number, but is sufficient for Etsy to consider the order delivered and so it will not negatively affect your Star Seller status.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Just got off with chat. I realize chat is outsourced but regardless, I was told the option of "other" is being removed from the site.  I saw the announcement, it's under Technical, but questioned it as my current listings aren't showing a red warning banner right now, they were earlier, but I expect the red warning box will be coming back.

Looks like I'll have to choose whatever carrier has the longest shipping time, I think it might be USPS Parcel Post, even though I ship UPS. What a complete nightmare! Even Parcel Post doesn't quite cut it though for some of my West Coast orders, some have taken as long as 10 days to arrive. 

1 Like

Jump to solution

I just posted this on another similar thread, since I was forced to change and remove 'Other' from my shipping profiles a long time ago.  

So I don't know why the red banner has reappeared and why my already-updated-and-in-compliance profiles were defaulted back.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

@SeasonThings 

It is not a bug.  It has been purposely done by Etsy to make us provide a shipping company.  I currently have several expired listings and new items to list, but can't unless I comply.  The delivery times that Etsy quotes are wholly inaccurate and will encourage negative feeback when buyers don't get their items when they expect to.  This is opening sellers up to all sorts of negative issues which, in turn, will reflect badly on Etsy as a company.  Is that what Etsy really wants?

2 Likes
SVGRox
Conversation Maker

Jump to solution

Etsy claims if you change from other to say UPS as your shipping agent doesn't show on the list, you will be able still use your normal courier and the relevant tracking on orders. Also when you change from other, in your dashboard you might see a bell Icon which suggests you still have shipping set to other which usually isn't the case and Etsy need to fix and remove this as it has no value.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.